Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I are looking at getting back into dirtoval rc racing.We sold everything back in 03/04 and everything has changed a TON since then...I have a few questions regarding radios...Ive been researching a lot of different radios (3pk,EX-1 UR,M-11 and the DX3R).Is there a real advantage (aside from convenience) to going with the 2.4 system over a PCM or FM system?Are there any bugs to watch out for with the 2.4 systems?Are there any manufacturer specific issues that i should be aware of with the new (to me) 2.4 systems?Everyone has their opinion on which radio is best,we both want to purchase new equipment,but is it really worth the extra money to go with a 2.4 system?

·
Registered
304 Posts
they are, i run AM and FM radios and they acted up all the time. the plus to the 2.4 system form what i can tell is one less hole to drill, more touchie or senseative then then a AM or FM radio, and i think they can be ajusted a lot better. form what i know.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
With the 2.4 radios you never need to wait to see if any one is on your channel. The radio technology does away with channels and thus the problem. Many radios including FMs are very adjustable. You cannot mix types of 2.4s such as a Traxxas, Futaba, and Spektrum. Although all sell a 2.4 radio they are not compatible with one another or the receivers.

I use a Spektrum DX3S. It doesn't have all the features of the DX3R but enough for me. I only have six cars in the memory, so I have four models left. The R has 30 model memory. I also wanted to save some money since the S is cheaper than the R. There is a new budget Spektrum coming out (according to my local hobby shop). It is even cheaper.

The known problem with this series of radios is the thumb roller selector on the back of the radio has been known to break. You get a free replacement from Horizon that you can install yourself if it happens.

Previous to the Spektrum, I ran Futaba radios (FM) and never had major issues with any of them.

There are lots of good radios. Shop, compare, get a good price, and then go have some fun.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
It was definately worth the money to go to spektrum for me. Done with all the radio issues of before, practice when i want, no antenna sticking out of the car! All plus points.

As far as i know, most 2.4 radios have all the bugs worked out.

I run a 3pk with a spektrum pro system, and have for two years, no problems here!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome input,thanks guys....does anyone have any input on the EX-1 UR?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts