Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my R7 silver camaro I got to thinking, AW could cash in pretty nicely if theyd do a Transformers movie car release. They already have several of the right bodystyles:

'09 Camaro is obvious for upgraded Bumblebee. Even the '71 camaro could be halfassed into an old-and-busted Bumblebee.

'05 Mustang just needs to be retooled with the right chassis mounts, lite bar and grill guard to become Barricade.

The Peterbilt is a no-brainer Optimus Prime. Add a cement mixer drum and you'd have that constructicon guy.

The Hummer H2 isnt quite the right bodystyle, but Id buy it as Ratchet.

Just need a pontiac solstice, corvette centennial concept and an Audi A8 for Jazz, Sideswipe, and Sideways. Thing is, thats 3 silver sportscars.

The other thing is, I wonder if AW has something up their sleeve with all these cars with the removeable hoods. I remember JL doing a 'Street Freaks' series of diecast cars with huge rear slicks and oversized engines sticking outta the hoods. So far we have the '06 Charger, '76 Torino, '71 GTX with these hoods, and if you go back to the JL days, the Javelin, '57 Vette, and Charger Daytona all have the removeable hoods and they had variations within the releases.

Ive mentioned a few at a time the cars that have headlite provisions yet havent yet been released as Flamethrowers: Jeep CJ, '55 Nomad, '71 GTX, VW bus, Dodge Challenger, and Baja Bandito are what I come up with on that.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
At the Autofest, when we were talking with Tony this very paint job for the Camaro came up. They were going to do it but someone said they couldn't because it would be a copy right infringenent.

They weren't going to market it as Bumble Bee, but AW still couldn't do it.

Randy.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
well, hmmm... they didn't exactly do a Starsky and Hutch Torino, either... but the red one with the white stripes? every neighborhood kid I ask "What movie is this from?", they say "Starsky and Hutch!" so maybe with a little creative modification...

--rick

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Wonder if they could do the basic car and provide decals for the customer to apply? If you look at the S&H Torino, the did the tampos that could have worked somewhat, they just applied them in a reverse fashion starting on the hood. Everybody has to get their piece of the pie. :rolleyes: rr

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why couldnt they just secure the licensing? They did the Fast and Furious cars and they did Back to the Future as well as the Dukes series. So transformers would be no problem.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Sadly, it's all about the money.. It should be seen as a "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" endeavor, but it's never a perfect balance. Hollywood always seems to be the one getting the big dollars. They pull in millions off the movies, and want more. I would think they should pay to have them done up just to generate a little more interest in their movies, but sadly, the opposite happens. Because they used a particular car with a particular paint scheme, should not mean they own the rights to it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hotwheels, huh? HW is mattel and transformers has always been Hasbro. Although Microscalextric has a couple transforming slots from the 1st movie so its not like a license cant be secured. All AW would have to do is negotiate some halfway decent terms then sit back and watch the money come in. If they did a few small layout complete sets with bumblebee vs barricade then did a seasonal run in the big box retailers they couldnt lose. MatTyco has been releasing the same Cars and Batman set for like 3 years now and they STILL sell.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Bumble Bee

Will this Do.. Hard plastic Diecast I pickedup at wallymart... tought to get apart but fits a pan pretty good..

they had Optomus also will pick him up see how he fits when I get a chance.

Dave

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,714 Posts

Will this Do.. Hard plastic Diecast I pickedup at wallymart... tought to get apart but fits a pan pretty good..

they had Optomus also will pick him up see how he fits when I get a chance.

Dave
Yeah that is the one I was eye-balling too - almost got it but finally decided I had enough irons in the fire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts