Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a continuing effort to improve the Gravity Races, I was thinking about what changes would be good.

This year we created a seperate class for the vans, a good move no doubt. I allowed trucks and escalades to run with the cars since I only mentioned vans in the rules. It turned out ok because we had 15 different cars in the finals. But here are two questions for now:

Should I seperate truck's and suv's along with the van's next year? If I did, they would have to race against the boogie vans which could be a negative. I don't see how I can add much in the way of additional classes due to time restraints. I do want to add a Junior Class next year for those 12 and under.

The next question is a bigger one. What do you think of requiring the entries be opened at registration? A true blister pack stock class. Of course this would eliminate testing cars before they run and I know some may not like that. But this is all for fun and maybe it is better for those who don't have a track or other way to pre-test their cars.

What do you think? Good idea or Bad idea? Any other idea's?

I know no matter what we do, some will prefer something different. So, I will ultimately make the final decission and we will all live with it. But I am interested in some positive feedback

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I had a blast with things the way they were, to be honest.

I like the idea of 'blister stock' cars being raced. I actually opened all of mine right there at the table because I thought that was the rule. Of course that would eliminate my "Lucky DeSoto" from running next year.

One thing I think would be interesting is a customs class- cars can be modified any way the owner wants (an "Unlimited Class" so to speak).

While the Escalades ran very well, they did not dominate (for that matter, an Escalade didn't even win the overall title), therefore I don't think they should have to run with the vans next year. Now if trucks/SUVs dominate next year, that can be changed. Also, I noticed the Volkswagen Microbus was forced to run in the Boogie Vans class also. I'm not sure how that one performed, but I don't think that casting is as heavy/fast as the regular vans.

And with the track being freshened up, I'm really looking forward to next year's racing already. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Bobby,

I liked the setup just fine.

The only thing I regret is not thinking to ask if my purple Stiletto could race the Saturday Topper winner's purple Stiletto!! Isn't it strange that 2 different purple Stiletos win the 2 Topper class races?! I don't think we raced head to head on Saturday. I bought my Stiletto from Tom the night before, got eliminated Saturday, and won Sunday. I'm VEEERRRYY curious how that race would have panned out.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
You mean now I have a good reason to rip a couple Topper bp's? :thumbsup:
Cool! That should make things interesting!

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Mr.Stubbs said:
You mean now I have a good reason to rip a couple Topper bp's? :thumbsup:
Cool! That should make things interesting!
Frank (dodge300) was just saying the same thing to me when he dropped of my cars on the way home last night. He thought it would be cool to just burst open a Topper free, and set that 30 year + whale oiled axle RRRIIPPP!!

·
7,461 Posts
I personally think the final bracket was diverse enough to keep the pickups/esculades in the general pool. There were no clear run away races... The ONLY time a car ended more than a foot in front of its opponent, was when the second car jumped track.

Geralds, mustang beat Pats Esculade in the first race of the bracket, and the entire bracket was neck to neck. Each race litteraly ended in a close finish, I don't think ANY of them were as far as 3 inches behind the other. 3 inches over a 40 foot track... thats pretty darn close...

Furthermore, There were several races through the day that ended in a "TOO CLOSE TO CALL" and were re-run for a decisive finish. It is appearent to me that there are just too many factors that are BEYOND anyones control to determine the finish. run the same cars two times and you can get two varied results.

Seems to me that the more restrictions/qualifications to be put on the entrants, the more work and more hastle for those running the races.

If the majority of the people think we need More Classes, then we need to keep in mind that thats more time we'll need to run the race. My suggestion for class seperation would be not in the casting but a weight class. Determine the breaking point and anything above that runs in the "heavy Weight" {Weigh the car not the person.. :lol:}

Who ever the person(s) was/were that oiled the cars, even tho it was against the rules, Please keep in mind that the winners were not oilded, so the mess left behind on the track accomplished nothing more than delaying the race(s) so the track could be cleaned.

As far as opening the packages at the registration table, I'd like to bring the cars I ran this year to run next year. But, if it keeps it pure, I'll buy new ones and open them there. Both the first and the second place winners this year were purchased from Bobb36 at the fest and opened at the registration table. So you never know, how it will turn out.

One rule I'd like to see added is, if when racing the PSR, your car jumps off track, it justifies a REDO with an opional lane change. Limit the PSR Redo rule to 3 tries, so if the car jumps the second time REDO once more. if it jumps a 3rd time, it's time to move on. I feel that loosing to the PSR is one thing, but loosing because of jumping track just... well it just sucks...

Apologies for the long read, but I had to express my opinion. What ever is decided, Kaos will support whole heartedly.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Bobby
I think was fine the way you ran it this year! If a car leaves oil or grafite on the track it should be disqualified. I don't see any need to make the cars be opened at the track because it would take more people and more time to enforce this rule. I opened all my cars at home to save room. I like Kenny's idea for a PSR redo for jumping the track but only 1 time to save time. Pat thinks you should have a separate sheet to keep track of who won the PSR and also the heat winners.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I don't think that a car should be disqualified if it leaves oil on the track. I was talking with Hot Rod Al and asked him about the excessive oil on some cars. He explained the process and some cars just get more oil from the factory than others. I have pulled cars from their packages and they are covered in residue.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Bobby,

I thought the races went fine and were very fair. Even if someone used graphite/oil, they didn't win. My car was pulled out of the package at fest too. The problem with having people open them at fest could be that the car is damaged out of the package. I know several cars I opened had wheels that stuck or were bent. I suppose I could bring several cars in package to fest for the races. I personally opened 15 cars for this years race. Made PM some money I guess.

Thanks for running them, next year you'll have to wear the helmet while racing them down the track.

Gerald

R

·
0 Posts
Wyatt said:
I don't think that a car should be disqualified if it leaves oil on the track. I was talking with Hot Rod Al and asked him about the excessive oil on some cars. He explained the process and some cars just get more oil from the factory than others. I have pulled cars from their packages and they are covered in residue.

Wyatt,

I agree, I was changing cars over from my old display case to a new one I got from Carney Plastics at the Fest and there were a couple of places where the old case had oil in it and those cars went straight from the package to the case, so it had to be factory

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, my 71 GTO (the tiger Striped one) was coverd in oil when i got it out of the pack to race. i did the proper thing and cleaned as much of the eccess off as i could. But i do agree that there is a reason to DQ a car if it has obviously been tampered with. Not mentioning any names, but i know one guy put lead in the little spots where the frame is held to the body. Another thing that i would suggest is creating a "real wheels" devision, some peoples favorite car might just happen to have rubber tires. (ie, my 69 Cougar Convertable.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Drags

Hi All:

I had several cars make it into the quarter finials. I just had a great time even without winning a thing. I like the races as it is.

If I was to change anything, like adding a class, here is what I would do:

All car class - All Mustangs or Camaros

Cars model year - anything made before 1960 or made after 1961

Maybe even only rubber tires.

Each year they could have a "special class" for the event.

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
wlpaul said:
Bobby,

I liked the setup just fine.

The only thing I regret is not thinking to ask if my purple Stiletto could race the Saturday Topper winner's purple Stiletto!! Isn't it strange that 2 different purple Stiletos win the 2 Topper class races?! I don't think we raced head to head on Saturday. I bought my Stiletto from Tom the night before, got eliminated Saturday, and won Sunday. I'm VEEERRRYY curious how that race would have panned out.
I hate to be break the news to you, but it was my Stiletto that won on Sat. In fact it beat another purple Stiletto in the first race. Was that yours?? It was packed away with all my HW & Matchboxes from when I was a kid. It was up there I'd say 30 years in a car case. I will be bringing next year and we will go head to head even if it's just for fun. C'ya then. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Hey there,

I didn't see the race Saturday, and don't know who eliminated me. I was rumaging through the room, and missed my Stiletto race. All I knew was my car got beat by someone. (I guess that was you)? 2 Stilettos, both purple? Damn,...missed it! Congrats.

I won Sunday, and thought it was neat for 2 purple Stlettos to win the weekend. Glen came in 2nd to you Sat., and the other half of "dodge300", Frank Gentry was second to me Sunday!

Maybe I could blame it on the oily track?! LOL! I'm up for it next year. Once in each lane...?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I am not sure about requiring the entries be opened at registration but I think it should be required that they be purchased at Lightning Fest. But thats just my unbiased opinion.

Did Kenny mention that he bought the winning car from Bobb36 :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts