Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I collected Matchbox cars when I was a kid and recently started collecting again.

I don't remember all the variations of cars and some of the phrases you all use, so I hope these aren't dumb questions but what does "Regular Wheels" refer to? I guess when I was a kid I didn't really know much about them except that they were my most fun toys.

Also, I have about 100 or so older models and I'm not sure how to tell the difference between metal wheels and plastic. All the grey wheels look the same to me. Any help there would be appreciated.

Most of my cars are Matchbox with some Hartoy's mixed in.

I hope this is the right section to ask these questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Kiwi.

Now I have to figure out how to post normal pictures instead of thumbnails (I'm not real computer savvy) so I can show off some of my favorites.

I have a gold No 25 Cortina with a black interior I never seen before and a few others I'd like to share.

My wife isn't interested in them :shrug: so I'm glad I found a place I can talk about them :)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Great. Most people use pages like photobucket.com which is free. You upload your pictures there and then there is a way of producing links that start something like
so that is what you want to post here.

As for a gold Cortina with black interior, that is indeed uncommon (don't want to use the word rare), so if it's a genuine one, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. One of the more comprehensive websites doesn't list it as a variation.
http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/1index/xx25d.htm

Another very comprehensive page doesn't either:
http://www.mboxcommunity.com/cfalkens/Matchbox/Catalog/LS/LS01-39/LS25a/ChF-LS25a.htm

Please post it, I'd be interested in a new find, thanks.
PS: for those of us who tend to doubt that a variation is genuine, usually a photo of the rivets will help a lot. :)

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Welcome to Hobby Talk, Scott. We always like pics so don't be shy about showing off your collection!
Many of us use Photobucket for posting pics. Simply go to photobucket.com, set up an account and start uploading. It's very easy to transfer pics to here.
Welcome back to diecast collecting! We all "get it" here. ;)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
As for a gold Cortina with black interior, that is indeed uncommon (don't want to use the word rare), so if it's a genuine one, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. One of the more comprehensive websites doesn't list it as a variation.
http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/1index/xx25d.htm
Factory made black interiors on #25 Cortinas feature on 1980s made in Bulgaria examples alongside red interiors and a rainbow of different metallic and enamel colours.Not easy to get mint unlike the common UK made brown or metallic blue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, that's right. It's a Superfast car made in Bulgaria. I took two quick pics at my computer and I'll try and post them. I need to make 5 posts first so someone ask me a couple of questions :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never mind...that was 5 posts! Now I just have to wait 60 seconds...omg the suspense...I hope this works :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did it! You all were right, it was pretty easy.

Like I said, I was just trying to figure this out real quick to post pics, so the color and everything on those pics stink. I'll post a few more here in a couple minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a few of my favorites. I know a lot of people are really into the boxes, but I never really cared about that. I also don't always really freak out about condition, as will become painfully apparent :)

This is my favorite car, probably because I've always wanted a real one and this may be the closest I ever come to owning one lol.

I'm not sure what this one is because there's no markings on it.

Remember I said I don't get crazy over condition, well I must have had something in my eye when I got this one-

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thank you Kiwi. So "regular wheels" refers to all plastic wheels?
I have heard people refer to the pre-superfast times as the "Regular Wheel Era", but usually when I hear people refer to "regular wheel" it seems they mean the black wheels made after the gray & silver ones, and before the Superfast ones. The wheels with the removable rubber tires had another name yet, but I can't remember what I heard them called.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Oh that solves that one then. Bulgaria. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for posting and I'm glad you figured that photo thing out. So now you can really dig into Hobbytalk and get involved. :)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Matchbox Regular Wheels era refers to the vehicles built from the beginning of MB until 1969 when all models were fitted with superfast wheels. The SF wheels were done to allow MB vehicles to compete with HW on the tracks.

Regular Wheels era models can have a number of different wheels, all of which were highlighted above (Metal Wheels/Gray Plastic/Silver Plastic/Black Plastic)

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the board, it's a great place to meet fellow collectors and learn a lot more about our wonderful hobby

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the explanations about the wheels. It makes sense now that you all explained it. Regular wheels then refer to "original" Matchbox wheels and exclude the wheels MB switched to to compete with HW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks man! I have to figure out how the horses were supposed to attach to the wagon. There was a clip on the horses rig when I bought it, but I'm not sure if it belongs there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts