Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weekend before the hurricane hit I found a couple of handy garage sale finds that really helped neaten up my work area a bit, I'm sure those of you with wives and SO's can figure out who was really upset about modeling supplies and tools scattered about....

The first was a wall mounted spice rack with an opening door I got for a quarter, I cut a piece of thin luanne (sp?) and nailed it to the back which then became the solid bottom, it's great for larger long stuff like clamps. The formica front has a fou-fou design on it, but for a quarter it's hard to go wrong.

The other cost me much more, a buck for an old wooden TV dinner tray with fold down legs. This thing is GREAT as a work surface, you can move it as a unit, and the fold down legs are handy if you ever find yourself working on the floor. Plus the raised edges keep things from sliding off when you do move it(And contain spills). You can see a figure of Apollo 12 astronaut Alan Bean and a "Robocop" police car that helped keep me sane during Charley!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a toy of the Valkyrie from "Titan A.E.", after I chop off those extra fins on the bottom keel and engines, and finish filling all the screwholes(I quit counting at 11, how many screws does it take to make something childproof these days!) and paint over the gaudy kid friendly paint job, I think it will make a pretty nice replica. The basic shape and proportions are surprisingly on target when compared to the DVD.

Actually, I'm photographing the conversion, I know there's a few other Valkyrie fans out there that might be interested (and can probably improve on my basic skills and techniques) and had planned to submit a "on the Bench" when it gets a little further along.

If anyone is interested in some high res pics I took of the Valkyrie from the DVD shoot me a pm or email, I've had a LOT of time on my hands the past week. I've found you can take surprising good shots of my Hitachi big screen with a digital camera on a tripod, flash turned off, and using the pause button on the DVD player.

·
Starship Class
11,843 Posts
PhilipMarlowe said:
I've found you can take surprising good shots of my Hitachi big screen with a digital camera on a tripod, flash turned off, and using the pause button on the DVD player.
That's good to know! I plan to convert towards the latter end of this year to HDTV. Can't wait to see how the DVDs look on it! :eek:

The ship is very cool looking. I'd be interested in seeing some screengrabs of it since I never saw the movie (any good?).

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PerfesserCoffee said:
I'd be interested in seeing some screengrabs of it since I never saw the movie (any good?).
I think it made about $17.50 in theaters, but picked up a audience on DVD. The animation is great, especially two scenes featuring the Valkyrie, one where she races with "space dolphins" (It looks better than it sounds) and a chase thru a ice belt of frozen asteroids that will give your sound system a real work out. I thought it was great, as does my oldest boy who brings me that DVD as often as "Barney" or those obnoxious "Wiggle" guys.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PerfesserCoffee said:
The ship is very cool looking. I'd be interested in seeing some screengrabs of it since I never saw the movie (any good?).
Here's a shot from above and below, even though I had to reduce/resize it greatly to post it, you can see you can get some pretty good results just photographing your screen. I just set the camera on a tripod, pause the DVD, and use the timer to take the picture to avoid "jogging" it.

Sure beats wearing out your VHS tapes and looking thru the "lines" when the picture is paused, I ruined a copy of "Aliens" between doing a APC and dropship!

Attachments

·
Starship Class
11,843 Posts
^^FANTASTIC! GREAT SHOTS! I had no idea (after trying the same thing on a regular TV) that it was possible to do that with HDTV!

I know what you mean about ruining tapes. I've done the same thing with some ST tapes.

The ship has very nice lines! It's unusual for CGI to have nice clean lines mostly and still be interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Mr. Marlowe!
Long time no talk! One addition to the 'screen-caps' discussion- and forgive me if you already know. If you have a DVD player on your PC- most software will export a "frame-store" or commonly called a 'screen-grab'; pause the movie- and "export" the image as a .bmp or .jpg. Just a thought! And- good ideas you have!
Later all! hines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts