Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine some customizers don't like giving away the "secrets" to thier work but I have a question that I hope has a simple answer. My two oldest sons (12 and 7) and I like to re-paint many of our 1/64 cars. (Hotwheels in particular.) What is the recommended way to re-attach the base to the car once we have completed the re-paint? We've tried several methods but aren't having terrific luck. Also, we are interested in swapping wheels on some cars but have noticed that some require the axles to be shortened. What can be done in this instance? I'm not sure how mattel does the axles on the Hot Wheels cars. Any and all info provided will certainly be greatly appreciated. My sons and I thank you.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
JB Weld works good. I've enen used Elmers glue. If at all possible, I mask of the plastic glass and use finger nail polish remover totake old paint off. This leaves rivits intact but if you are doing a wheel swap, then you have no choice.

JL sold wheel kits in different lengths and they were by far the best way to go for wheel swaps.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi,

I am not very good at shortening axles. I usually just find a set that fits even if they aren't my first choice. I want to have a STRONG axle in there when I play with my customs:)

Oh yeah, JB Weld is the best choice. You can pick from quick hardening (minutes) or slow hardening (hours).

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info! My boys and I will be spending quite a bit of time on that site getting an education. Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
your welcome... i go by gunisonbrook over there i have some how too's in that section
so be sure to check the how to section theres info there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts