Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photobucket editing is wacked so here they are anyway.
64' GTO

55' Corvette

·
Registered
186 Posts
I picked these two up the other day, along with everyones favorite, the Rebel. I love these three Blvds, and the 'vette looks better than I thought it would. Could have had a bit less white wall on the tires though. Nice pick ups. You Wal_Mart must have gotten the same cases as mine!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Very nice!

I like the Boulevard line a lot, but often cannot justify the $3+ price tag.
This goes to show you can't please everyone.

Charge a little more and give it a metal base and I'll buy it...Hot Ones.

Charge a little more and put RR on them and I'll buy it...Boulevards.

But what about the taillight tampos?! :freak:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Nice Boulevards Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Hot Wheels could add taillights for the money, but they don't have to because they sell like hotcakes anyway just for being the quintessential die cast car. Heavy, all metal construction is what sells the premium Hot Wheels, not detail so much. Detail is what sells M2 Machines.

Hot Wheels' greatest effort at the complete package was the 100% line, which are a cut above anything else they've produced, even now.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Hot Wheels could add taillights for the money, but they don't have to because they sell like hotcakes anyway just for being the quintessential die cast car. Heavy, all metal construction is what sells the premium Hot Wheels, not detail so much. Detail is what sells M2 Machines.

Hot Wheels' greatest effort at the complete package was the 100% line, which are a cut above anything else they've produced, even now.
Well, they could sell even more if they would leave off the tampos and put that money into a little more detail - like red taillights :drunk: I will get the Rebel Blvd if I find it because I do like it otherwise, but I can't tell you how many Blvds and the like I have actually taken off the pegs to buy and then changed my mind because I didn't feel they were delivering what they should be for the money.

I keep hoping maybe someone from Mattel will someday drop in and read one of these posts and a light will dawn.

Yeah. Probably not.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I just bought the 55 Vette & the Austin Healy. Weird, the Vette's back end ain't detailed and the AH is all detail except for the headlights. Who decides what they paint and what they don't paint?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I will get the Rebel Blvd if I find it because I do like it otherwise, but I can't tell you how many Blvds and the like I have actually taken off the pegs to buy and then changed my mind because I didn't feel they were delivering what they should be for the money.
Tampo-wise, which details go in, and which ones are left off does seem to be quite an arbitrary business at Hot Wheels. But I imagine it's also a constant juggling act of what the design team can do under budget.

Speaking of the Rebel Machine, I just finished detailing mine to a respectable level and it looks much more complete now. And all it took was a steady hand and a little time, although I realize not everyone is inclined to do that. But when you're handed lemons - like an under detailed car, it's fun it's make a creative project out of it. I think I'll post pics along with my latest finds tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Well, they could sell even more if they would leave off the tampos and put that money into a little more detail - like red taillights :drunk: I will get the Rebel Blvd if I find it because I do like it otherwise, but I can't tell you how many Blvds and the like I have actually taken off the pegs to buy and then changed my mind because I didn't feel they were delivering what they should be for the money.

I keep hoping maybe someone from Mattel will someday drop in and read one of these posts and a light will dawn.

Yeah. Probably not.
That wont happen about the tail lights which is sad because HWs can be so much better than they are for a $3.47 price tag ... It took 18 years to finally be heard to make the THs be hidden with no green stripe saying take me take me from the Cases. Mattel pumps HWs out so fast the paint barely has time to dry before hitting the blister packs. I am sure they are not thinking about the tail lights or head lights.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
They do on occasion think about the lights, and sometimes even the grille. But it's very random. One such oddity is the white A.J. Foyt Mustang from the first release of Vintage Racing I think. It had colored lights front and back. The rears were quite heavy handed, but were there nonetheless. And in other releases of the same car, even premium ones, they don't bother. Or they'll do the headlights and not the rears.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Tampo-wise, which details go in, and which ones are left off does seem to be quite an arbitrary business at Hot Wheels. But I imagine it's also a constant juggling act of what the design team can do under budget.

Speaking of the Rebel Machine, I just finished detailing mine to a respectable level and it looks much more complete now. And all it took was a steady hand and a little time, although I realize not everyone is inclined to do that. But when you're handed lemons - like an under detailed car, it's fun it's make a creative project out of it. I think I'll post pics along with my latest finds tomorrow!
Yeah, I'm thinking of taking the chrome brush to the rear of the Vette and the headlights of the Austin Healey. They're both really nice specimens except for those little (lack of) details.

But here's what I don't get. The 55 Vette and the Austin are similar in size and design. The Austin has way more detail (red spoke wheels, decals, tampos, plastic chrome grill and rear bumper) than the Vette. Do they budget by individual cars or by the entire release? Did the GM license cost more ergo less budget for the Vette?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts