Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked these up for a couple bucks at the flea market. In my haste, I didn't notice or realize that the roofs are an attempt at a repair. I didn't spend that much so it's not a big deal. the "News of The World " one looks all original and has Lesney stamped on the base. The "Typhoo Tea" one has a plastic running gear and says made in China. My question is did someone luck out and find a plastic base that is almost the same as the original, or is the whole thing a knock off?The casting itself looks identical to the Lesney one. Brighter red paint and the step area is ever so slightly different. If this is a knock off, who makes it? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you know who makes repro roofs, that would be great as well. Thanks. looking foreword to hearing a bit of history on this curious little piece.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
REGISTERED: Dont know the answer, but interested to hear the follow up...

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Hong Kong model is a true copy. It came in a blister carded package I will try to locate but mine is still packed away. It is a pretty good copy.

Your Lesney model is not original as the roof has been painted. It should be a cream color. The Hong Kong model should have the same color as I have never seen or heard of it in blue. Look closely, does it look painted after production?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, the original roofs on both are missing. It was someones attempt to make it look a bit better using plastic. I will replace them at some point if I can find a couple good repro roofs. Thanks for the info. I would be curious to know who made the copy, if you remember. Thanks again.
The Hong Kong model is a true copy. It came in a blister carded package I will try to locate but mine is still packed away. It is a pretty good copy.

Your Lesney model is not original as the roof has been painted. It should be a cream color. The Hong Kong model should have the same color as I have never seen or heard of it in blue. Look closely, does it look painted after production?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There were quite a few plastic copies of the early Matchbox models - both in the regular series and Models of Yesteryear series. Many of the regular wheel copies were by Blue Box - a firm in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There will be a great presentation at the Gathering on Matchbox copies this year. Jim Reid will be making the presentation. There really are so many copies and nice ones in many cases. Lets post your copies here. I will get a few pics as well.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Diecast or plastic cars made in hong kong in 1960s or 1970s in fact even into early 1980s are very collectable and often fetch good money, can be more than average Lesneys on ebay because they are much rarer. The ´´Made in Hong Kong´´ legend ads value and collectability as it was made during British Rule of Hong Kong before re-unification with mainland China . The fact that Hong Kong makers copied all sorts of other brands not just Lesney in their ranges makes them fascinating to collect alongside original brands

1 - 7 of 7 Posts