Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I erased everything on my project board tonight. Even the racing lawnmower, if it's something that will happen it will happen later. I wanted to start this project with a totally open mind and a clean slate. But I'm not going to build this one from scratch, instead it will an extensive modification of a Radio Shack Zip-Zap body for vacuforming.

Compaired to a regular HO Scale stocker body, they are the same wheelbase and width, as a matter of fact they would convert quite easily to any HO car. For those of you so inclined to try it they can be found for a few bucks on the internet still.

Anyway, I want more of an almost GTP style car with the "cleavage" of the Odyssey. I'm not sure of the rear wing, if it'll be attached or seperate like my last projects, I guess that'll depend on input from you guys. The basic shape will remain a Corvette, just a little less chunky. This will be a lean, low racing machine after the massage.

The Zip-Zap cars a cool, you can find some nice Fast and Furious body styles if you look, I even had a nice Acura Integra that I wish I would have kept now. The bodies are actually clear injection molded and then painted. The plastic is PETE, wich means it will sustain the heat fairly well but I will be backing it up with epoxy anyway.

...and if I mess it up it only cost me $2.

The cutting will begin over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, some development on this project which has now been codenamed Griffin in recognition of the 144th TFW, Fresno Air National Guard. A.J. is an A&P mechanic for the unit, and he's pretty much the force behind my finishing this project.

I blocked in the wheel wells, put a bottom on it and then filled the body 2/3rds full of epoxy. This is a typical preshaping deal for me since I remove a lot of material in making things look right. Since this car is not being built up on a chassis I put a bent paper clip inside to grab ahold of to removed it from a drawn body. Once everything was dry and cured I began shaping with my dremel, then some serious sanding.

I narrowed the top by at least 1/4" on each side and angled inward, since this will be a GTP type vehicle I wanted a "centered driver" much like the McLaren is. I also shaped it more like a tear drop so that the rear fender blisters would be more pronounced. There are also blisters on the front fenders, making this 'vette resemble the Stingrays of the old days. The rear end is a rolled, rounded affair as well.

There's a small scoop on the top to allow cooling for the driver. The whole body is rounded where ever possible to allow smooth airflow. This is going to be very low slung on whatever chassis it runs on and was designed to be slick. Even with the various bubbles and blisters it's already looking very nice.

The front radiator scoop is very deep right now and may be fitted with a vertical splitter in the center. I'm still debating having the one single vent shown here or having two smaller seperate ones like on the Odyssey. Since it's a front engined car there is a hood scoop that represents a cowl breathing LT-1 under the shortened engine compartment. I had considered moving the windshield back but changed my mind once I got this much done.

I'm still debating aerodynamic fixtures. Bill made a point a while back when the Odyssey was in design about smooth wins races. I want this one to win races, to be a pure racer. Perhapse going without a wing might be the fastest way around the track with this one. I really hate interupting the rounded lines with any sort of a wing, but if it needs to happen it will be decided within the next few days.

Sanding and filling will continue over the next few days, the first cars will be drawn over the weekend and it looks like Mike King may be the first one to get testers since he's first on my order book right now. Others will be made available after his evaluation.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A new coat of black primer/filler and it's starting to really take shape.

The depth of the radiator scoop can be seen...sort of. I have a couple more small things to fill, some shaping and it should be done.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, got one drawn and painted today, sort of looks like a big yellow BatMobile. But it's extremely aero-friendly.

It sits nice on a 440X2, the cockpit looks a little high but really it's not.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a special clip from sheet plastic that uses the stock mounts and it was two-side taped to that. But it will also work with body tubes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts