Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember these? wasn't that long ago.. they came in singles and multi-packs...
all came in nice 'acrylic' boxes, I think the multi-packs actually being called 'acrylics' because of the box... kinda the equivelant of those new 'tubes' they want so much for....

I actually have a few of the multi-car sets in acrylic boxes...I'm pretty sure mattel gave up on these nice big plastic case sets cuz haven't seem anything like them around lately. I remember some of these were quite sought after, and even when u found them in the store they were at least 20 or even 30 bucks!.. towards the end the original Lead Sledz set was sometimes going for like 50 bucks.
One reason for the post is ... decided to see what these are still going for on the auction site. dissappointing... like do a search for the Bugs and Buses set and I saw either no bids or like 10 bucks on this probably 29.99 set.
The cars from these sets were really nice. Check the pic below... the Mercaholic from the Lowboyz set.. decided to open up this set just cuz the cars looked so interesting...and found out this car has the color change paint on it! Cant see in the pic, but turn it one way in the light and it's purple, the other way and it's blue!

So just goes to show, guess I'm just noting one of the collecting changes... these are quality die cast for more money (way nicer than any Classics , Ultra Hots, or 'Holiday':rolleyes: issue) but I guess now people, or "collectors" would rather spend the same amount as these sets went for, on buying 99 cent castings in bulk. (picking up maybe 4 different cars, 6 or 8 of each one, spending the same amount):tongue:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I liked the 100% HW's in the boxes. Some of them were real outstanding. The TA Challenger as an example. Also I like that HW tried to the cars in scale with each other. The Cobra looks tiny next to the 70 Torino as it should. My impression though is that these cars look better in their boxes. I have a loose Boss 429 I got in a trade and it does not look as nice to me loose as it does in the box. I hated when they started putting cars in those stupid round containers.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
There's alot of fanatic 100% collectors and the truth be told, they are much better cars and you can get lots of them very cheap. There are some highly desirable castings and variations, too.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have alot of those 4 car , 3 car , and 2 car sets . They are very nice cars and they are all still in their cases . I also have alot of the single car ones .

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
One of my favorites was the porsche collectors set, and i couldn't resist taking them out of the case, as the gulf 917 is one of the best racing diecasts at this scale. I also have the 30 year camaro one too. I am always amazed at how the majority of collectors ignore these highly detailed models that come in low numbers. Go figure?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I started collecting them when they first came out with the Legends mailorder only Boyds set. They came one car at a time wrapped in tissue in a styrofoam box. Once you bought all 4 they sent the clear case. I think they were about 25.00 each, pretty pricey but still one of my favorite sets.
Here's a pic of the Legends sets.

·
7,829 Posts
I always wanted to find the white Caddy hearse. Struggled on e-bay with many a bid to get the black and BWF versions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Always a bit pricey but the majority of them were really nicely done. I have several boxes from way back when of the singles and the muti-car sets and they are still some of my favorites. Then of course they messed with the packaging and the cars themselves and ended up discontinuing them. Sad to see them go....

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
OK, I don't think I have ever posted on the Hot Wheels board, but this thread cought my attention. I too really love this series of cars, having most of the racing theamed releases.

HW just outdid themself, and it makes me wonder what ever happened to them. I would still be buying HW brand cars if these were still around. I have picked up several of the Tube cars, but they just did not seem to carry the same quality or detail ( well, with the exception of the racing Camaro...WOW).

Maybe it's the same, but the boxes and art made them look even better!

·
7,829 Posts
The California Customs cars looked nice to me though a bit costly. The red color of the 67 Corvette was especially nice looking. The series I thought that had very poor quality looking cars were the ones that had the big rim attached to the package.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Atencio said:
The series I thought that had very poor quality looking cars were the ones that had the big rim attached to the package.
Me too.
Did stumble across one from that series on a walmart bargain table.
a '70 Chevelle, with a torque thrust D rim, I bought it for $3.00,
which is what they should have cost anyway.
The 100% Line was a very nice series, I bought alot of them.
The multiple car sets are very well done.
That Bruce Meyer set is one of the best in my opinion.
Still display most of mine, For a Hot Wheel car, the 100% line were
pretty nice.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fast Eddie said:
I am always amazed at how the majority of collectors ignore these highly detailed models that come in low numbers. Go figure?
Like I said, the new mindset of the newer collector is to find the newest 99 cent castings and buy 10 each, of 4 different cars.. saying they are going to trade them or customize them...even tho all they will get in trade is more 99 cent castings...and the more expensive cars look 10 times better than the customs they make, if they ever get around to it...and they just spent double the price of the higher end car! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My favorites were "Night at the Races" with a 48 Woody, trailer, and Sprint racer and "Smoke on the Water" with 59 Apache Pichup, Trailer and Drag boat

·
7,829 Posts
My favorite was the Hearse Caddy followed by the Pony Wars cars and 69
(I think) 442.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
carnut2256 said:
This is the BWF set, correct? I'd love to score one of those, and keep forgetting to check the 'Bay for them :freak:
They seem rare - got one a few weeks ago for around $35.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts