Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've temporarily given up trying to fit the vacuform canopy to my Collect-Aire A-12 Avenger II. I destroyed one, and am going to start on an attempt at the spare next week. I've asked them for two more canopies just in case, and they've graciously consented to send them. I need a break from it! I HATE vac canopies!! :mad:

In the meantime, here's the completely completed $185 resin model except for the canopy:

The bombs are from the Hasegawa weapons set. Chalked on the two larger ones (using white Prismacolor pencil) it says "Blow me up, Scotty," and "Can you hear me NOW!?"

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crappy closeup of cockpit and refueling probe:

I made decals for the canopy coaming with my own name as pilot, and my pal Frank as GIB. Of course, unless I can get the frigging canopy to fit the frame, no one gets to see it :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
FAR OUT!!!

Nice work John! :thumbsup:

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Exceedingly cool model! Is that plane actually in production?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PerfesserCoffee said:
Exceedingly cool model! Is that plane actually in production?
Nope. Almost made it. It was supposed to be the Navy's replacement for the A-6 Intruder. But the program had so much cost overrun and delays, Congress cancelled it. It's a big "could have been." Only a full-sclae mock-up was built, no actual aircraft :(.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I thought the A-12 was the Lockheed A-12.... Boy that model looks really cool though. I had a horrid vacu-kit of the 'stealth bomber' before any pictures were available, that looks a little like your model. Mine had heavier duty gear though, and no real details, except a teeny cockpit and some exhaust details in photo-etched brass.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually Heiki, it's more in line withn Herr Lippish's all-delta experemental gliders than with the Horten Brothers' designs.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
John, that looks better than the fullsize mockup! (Even without the canopy installed). Maybe if they'd had that one to eyeball it wouldn't have been cancelled.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Y3a said:
I thought the A-12 was the Lockheed A-12
It was! :) This one's from Grumman. Different plane, different decade, different purpose, same number. Go figure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
May the fleas of a thousand camels...

kaos said:
that's some excellect work john :thumbsup:
The more I see John's work, the more I realize how truly crappie I am as a modeler. God, I hate that man!

Tim Hall
(Now everyone knows I'm just kiding!)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SMACK! :)

It's the same way I feel whenever I go to a real model contest

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Beautiful build up John. I love your starship models but your aircraft build ups are incredible. How was that kit as far as building goes. From all the photos I've seen of your work I'd say you could hold your own at any model contest.

By the way, I feel the same way about vacuform. Canopies and entire kits. :mad:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, it'd do great at a contest until the judge saw the sloppy, gummy masses of glue around the canopy frame from 3 attempts, and the canopy seam that didn't come close to fitting the frame. Got some cleaning up to do :D.

The main fuselage/wing parts fit all right. The folding wingtips are seperate, with slightly detailed cast metal inserts for detail - those inserts don't fit very well at all, which encouraged my decision to build it wings down! The bomb bays and wheel bays aren't perfect fits to the fuselage surface cutouts (a little undersized), but it's not so bad that I felt the need to fix it. The doors could probably benefit from rebuilt hinge brackets - the resin ones broke off real easy. But I fudged a bit and used them. It ain't for a contest, so I don't care that much. One gap on each side, between the wheel bays and outer bomb bays, needed serious filling.

The instrument panels don't fit under the shrouds. Both panels needed cutting or repositioning to get the shrouds down to where they're supposed to be. The NACES ejections seats are beautiful. The model does NOT have a heads-up display, though the plane was supposed to have one.

The kit come with 2 GBU-15s and 2 AMRAAM missiles. The bombs even had the prepoer Navy orange peel texture. But most of the fins were broken off in shipping, so I went with the Hasegawa replacements.

Capsule review: For a limited resin kit it went together easily, with some little glitches and less filling/sanding than on some other resin kits. Unless you want to do the wings folded, then you're in for some work.

I'd certainly recommed it to an experienced modeler. Somebody with more resin time than me could probably handle the problems and make it a prize-winner.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Holy cow that's sad for a kit of that price. I would be pretty pissed off. With the garage kits, I guess it's hard to know in advance what you're gonna get. You basically have to rely on what others say about a certain kit and the reputation of the company. Anyhow, you did a great job.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
John P said:
Actually Heiki, it's more in line withn Herr Lippish's all-delta experemental gliders than with the Horten Brothers' designs.
The Horten brothers were students of herr Lippish and built a few aircraft per his guidence. On of their glider even looks like the a-12.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts