Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not frequent Thrift or Goodwill stores, perhaps I should start.

Yesterday (1/30/07) I stopped at one of these stores only because I had some extra time to kill while waiting to meet a friend at another nearby store.

I walked into the store and asked where the toy section was. I was directed to the rear of the store. As I approached the toy section it looked pretty hopeless that I would find anything. To my surprise I saw a 1957 Corvette made by The Franklin Mint sitting on a shelf. I picked the car up and saw a sticker on the trunk with a $0.69 price on it. I asked a worker if it was the right price and was told that it was 30% off that price because it was Tuesday. The price of $0.69 became $0.48 (30% discount) + $0.04 (tax), which was $0.52! :hat:

I haven't done anything to the car yet (cleaning or removing the sticker). The car does have a chip near the windshield, but I can live with that for $0.52.

If you notice, the date on the sticker is 1/29/07, so I guess the car was put out one day before I bought it. Checkout a Thrift store, you may get lucky too! I may use that car in a garage diorama scene, because it isn't in mint condition.

Can anyone else share a Thrift store find?

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Stutz,
I read this thread and somehow missed the fact that this is a Franklin mint piece. Congratulations! That is a great find! About the best thrift store story I have for you is the one about the all metal Nelson oscillating sprinkler that I found at the Salvation Army for sixty cents. It had a broken cam that I replaced for another thirty-eight cents, keeping my total cost at under a dollar. At the time I found it, these were selling for about $36.00. I saved myself $35.00. That was about fifteen years ago and I'm still using that sprinkler today.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zeb41 said:
Stutz,
I read this thread and somehow missed the fact that this is a Franklin mint piece. Congratulations! That is a great find! About the best thrift store story I have for you is the one about the all metal Nelson oscillating sprinkler that I found at the Salvation Army for sixty cents. It had a broken cam that I replaced for another thirty-eight cents, keeping my total cost at under a dollar. At the time I found it, these were selling for about $36.00. I saved myself $35.00. That was about fifteen years ago and I'm still using that sprinkler today.
Thanks for starting my day with your post Ron. I may have to stop at a thrift store today! :p

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yep, quite the steal at that price! Good luck today.

When I was a kid, we used to tag along with my Dad to a local Salvation Army store. He was always stopping there for the western paperback books, comic books, and anything he could find to fix up for us to use. I wasn't into toy cars back then, but I loved coming home with a bunch of DC comic books. (wish I still had them)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts