Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an 8hp B&S engine (model 194412 type 112-04) it runs well but the muffler gets red hot and spits some sparks. The generator is about 12 years old. It seems to turn too many RPMs at idle but it is governor controlled and i have not tried adjusting it. Any thoughts, sugestions or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you can remove the muffler and clean it real good i have use all types of house hold cleaners

if i am right you might have much carbon built up in the muffler

and on the running to fast thing i would do the static governer ajustment that way i would have the engine slowing itself down and also speeding it self up also when needed

i remind you that pictures and notes are your best friend when you are doing something new. take pictures of everything before you start so you can put it back as it was.

thanks for the help

i love this place:wave::wave:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8hp B&S generator

Thanks 2 men, I will give it a try. I would like to know the RPMs the engine is turning but I don't have any type of tachometer to find out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Since this is on a generator you can also check the voltage with a multimeter.
I bought a Buffalo 2 cycle generator to recharge batteries when I go camping.The first time I tried to use it the breaker kept tripping.I checked it with a multimeter and it was putting out over 200 volts AC.Checked with a tach and it was running over 4,000 RPM.I backed it down to 3,600 RPM and it put out 120 volts,problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts