Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this is the same for either version of the Seaview. I haven't seen the movie in like a hundred years and never cared for the show but recently bought the movie version. My question is, what are the scribed ovals on the port and starboard edges on the flared out areas of the upper forward hull?

Something else. I read in the instructions you have a choice of 'tail lights' either short rounded or long pointed. The long point ones were used for the restoration. Why did the restorer alter them?

Thanks,
HAL9001-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
I suppose this is the same for either version of the Seaview. I haven't seen the movie in like a hundred years and never cared for the show but recently bought the movie version. My question is, what are the scribed ovals on the port and starboard edges on the flared out areas of the upper forward hull?
-
Diving planes. That's the moveable part of the fin for making the sub go up and down.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts

Something else. I read in the instructions you have a choice of 'tail lights' either short rounded or long pointed. The long point ones were used for the restoration. Why did the restorer alter them?

Thanks,
HAL9001-
The Scribed ovals are implied diving planes. They were never actually "Real" Or used on any of the miniatures.

The "restoration", and I use the term very loosley, also "altered"Many other features of the 17'2"Miniature.
Why the restorer did it??.........LOL..

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the restorer altered them 'just because he could' sounds like! Well look at what the restorers did to the Big E....:drunk:

Anyways, thanks guys.

HAL9001-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Well, it's an IMPLIED submarine. I didn't think it was necessary to be that literal.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Well, it's an IMPLIED submarine. I didn't think it was necessary to be that literal.

The design of the Seaview was/is considered art Deco. And that's ALL those little designs on the Manta fins are supposed to be.

I thought it was necessary to explain it to the gentleman. I personally don't care what you think.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The word "Implied" was in quotes in that statement because in the context of the post it was being pointed out that even though you could see the seam, it was never shown in use, therefore it is an implied diving plane. Simple as that. :thumbsup:

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
The word "Implied" was in quotes in that statement because in the context of the post it was being pointed out that even though you could see the seam, it was never shown in use, therefore it is an implied diving plane. Simple as that. :thumbsup:
OK guys -- cool down or I'm going to close the thread.

--Henry

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I actually have one of those "implied memories" because I could actually swear that in the film we see them moving in one shot. Been a while since I have watched it , but I think I just wrote that image in my head because I thought that is what they were for. Maybe later today I will go back and look for the shot I remember. If it turns out I am not crazy, I will post a screen cap. If I am crazy.................well, you know.............

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I actually have one of those "implied memories" because I could actually swear that in the film we see them moving in one shot..
I don't believe that I've ever noticed them actually move in the movie or TV show. (Though I could be wrong.)

Perhaps you are remembering footage of Dave Merriman's R/C conversion which does have working bow planes. As I remember from his info, they are absolutely necessary for proper handling.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
I don't believe that I've ever noticed them actually move in the movie or TV show. (Though I could be wrong.)

Perhaps you are remembering footage of Dave Merriman's R/C conversion which does have working bow planes. As I remember from his info, they are absolutely necessary for proper handling.

No my friend...they are not.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

Actually, as I thought about it this afternoon, that is the video I remember seeing. It was the planes on the conning tower that I remember from the film.

·
www.tsdsinc.com
1,079 Posts
I actually have one of those "implied memories" because I could actually swear that in the film we see them moving in one shot. Been a while since I have watched it , but I think I just wrote that image in my head because I thought that is what they were for. Maybe later today I will go back and look for the shot I remember. If it turns out I am not crazy, I will post a screen cap. If I am crazy.................well, you know.............
I think you're recalling the planes on the conning tower moving in the film when they went "deep" to avoid the attack-sub. That's the only thing I remember, anyway! But, I had to edit this post as you had already corrected yourself!

--H

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I think you're recalling the planes on the conning tower moving in the film when they went "deep" to avoid the attack-sub. That's the only thing I remember, anyway! But, I had to edit this post as you had already corrected yourself!

--H
Yes, I did correct myself. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Well, technically, the planes only move to initiate the dive - once the correct descent angle is reached the planes are then returned to their neutral position. So I guess the shot's wrong on two point :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts