(2) WL Classic Gold 24 - JLC Crown Victoria Taxi
WL Chevy Thunder 1972 Monte Carlo
WL Mustang II REL4 - 1971 Mach I
WL Universal Monsters - Ford Pickup

my kids are gonna love these....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice haul. I am beginning to think the WL ratio is up to 10% of production run. WL's sure have been popping up in bulk these days. When I first started collecting JL's over a year ago, you would be lucky to find 5 in one year. It's a real bummer, as prices have dropped quite a bit :(

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Just curious type2, why is it a problem that the prices have dropped? I actually think it's better if there are more produced, gives you a hope of finding some, and you won't have to take out a second mortgage to continue collecting them.

I know there are some that say the lower the run, the better, but I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's not that the production is up, it's just the fact that in the past week, i have looked thru about 104 cases (some had already been pilfered, but the bulk were virgin)....so, the math is that out of about 1248 cars, i collected 8 whites (minus a couple from the one store), so that's still about 1%....and on the point of value, they mean so much more when i share them with my boys than if i tried to sell them (like kids in a candy store, the joy that washes over them for something so trivial as a little car that just happens to be a little bit of an albino)....

the preceding has been my personal observation and my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of CBS or Dan Rather

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
POCKETWOCKET said:
the preceding has been my personal observation and my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of CBS or Dan Rather
:lol: :lol: Nice finds. Do purchase cases from a dealer or have you found all 104 cases in the stores?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
WARNING: Off-Topic Post!

Type2VDubs said:
I am beginning to think the WL ratio is up to 10% of production run.
WL's sure have been popping up in bulk these days.

It's a real bummer, as prices have dropped quite a bit :(

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but it wouldn't bother me if the WL ratio increases. In fact, I'd be happy if it did. I also would be happy if WL prices dropped. If there are more of them and they command less money, maybe I'll be more likely to find one on the shelf.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am concerned about the prices because I have several Wl's and would like to think that all the time I have spent hunting is worth something in $$ value. Not to mention, that the falling prices hurt trade value. I for one think part of the thrill of the Hunt is to see if the WL's you find are selling for big bucks..makes me think I have hit a jackpot if/when I do. I have seen other HT members list WL's on Ebay and boast about getting high prices. I know I am not the only one here that is lured by $$ attactiveness, as well as the aestehtic pleasure of owning whites.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Type2VDubs said:
I am concerned about the prices because I have several Wl's and would like to think that all the time I have spent hunting is worth something in $$ value. Not to mention, that the falling prices hurt trade value. I for one think part of the thrill of the Hunt is to see if the WL's you find are selling for big bucks..makes me think I have hit a jackpot if/when I do. I have seen other HT members list WL's on Ebay and boast about getting high prices. I know I am not the only one here that is lured by $$ attactiveness, as well as the aestehtic pleasure of owning whites.
I'm not attacking you personally, just responding to the opinion posted. I'm sure some others feel the same way as you do. :D

Having said that, if you believe you should be compensated for your time hunting, maybe it's a sign that you should do something else with your time. Playing Mantis or any other company for that matter doesn't owe collectors any cash consideration for spending hours hunting for cars. It's this thought process that drives many of the things most of us don't like about the chase car program.

If falling prices hurt trade value of the item you have, wouldn't that be true in many cases of the item you are trading FOR? That is of course unless you are building a serious redline collection or earlier low production WLs. That would be unfortunate, but nothing lasts forever. Remember Beanie Babies? Or Furbys? :freak:

Yes finding a WL is a nice bonus, but what it's selling for is of no matter to me and doesn't drive my ambition to hunt. It is the aesthetic pleasure of owning them solely for me. If I had to sell them all for pennies on the dollar, I still wouldn't consider it a waste of my time or money.

Have fun. :wave:

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
POCKETWOCKET said:
it's not that the production is up, it's just the fact that in the past week, i have looked thru about 104 cases
no way,,,,,unless you have access to a distribution warehouse like a wallmarts or a hobbylobby or someone elses distibution warehouse. but if you do have that kinda acess and buyer power,,,,,you are gonna find lots of wl cars!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
How do you get access to that many cases in one week?
Yea, interesting, he said 8 in 5 so that means 104 cases in 5 days....or about 20 cases a day on average. Something weird about that. JLs just don't show up like that.....unless he hit stores all night and all day for 5 days in a big market and was the first one at each store every time which is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The calm before the storm has passed....Hobby Lobby has been receiving about 8-12 cases each this week (Universal monsters, Coke Santa&Bears, Mustang II, Chevy Thunder, Muscle Cars, Classic Gold)....TRU is now stocking more JL with the promotion (old and new)....Walmarts are also receiving more JL this past week....the only one not getting any yet is KB (90% of what they get is older stuff anyway)....

Since I am strategically located at work, during my lunch breaks I can travel to 22 different stores in 5 days (6 Hobby Lobby, 5 TRU, 3 KB, 5 Walmart Supercenters, 3 Super Target)....

It took 1 tank of gas (for my F-250 that's about 60.00) and I was able to get a lot of cars for me and my kids (82 total)....almost all of the places I went to had just gotten in the shipments and I just happened to be the lucky one this week....it can't be this good every week, after all, somebody else will need them for their kids too....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.