Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a very successful raceday Sunday at MTR with 8 cars in 7.5 1S. A mix of Trinity, Novak, and Speed Passion motors yielded incredibly close speeds, with a mix of Epic, Thunder Power, Fantom, and SMC packs. Very impressive raceday and I believe everyone agrees tire wear is a lot less. If anything the RF might wear the most now (but still less than 2S stuff).

Just a few notes:

Plug reciever packs in the B/C slot (not channel 3)

Always turn off speedo switch. You will run a few laps with speedo switch on and rec pack switch off (but it will shut down)... mistake I made and someone else... just habit....

A little longer to charge batteries now

Motors run about 20-40 degrees cooler

Gear about the same as you would 17.5/2S or down a couple teeth

Setup almost same. Some softened some stiffened... all real close

http://thunder.rcresults.com/09-27-2009/html/75175_LiPo_PROA_Main.html
(big wrecks in the main haha).... speeds almost exact as our 17.5 2S days...

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
We had a very successful raceday Sunday at MTR with 8 cars in 7.5 1S. A mix of Trinity, Novak, and Speed Passion motors yielded incredibly close speeds, with a mix of Epic, Thunder Power, Fantom, and SMC packs. Very impressive raceday and I believe everyone agrees tire wear is a lot less. If anything the RF might wear the most now (but still less than 2S stuff).

Just a few notes:

Plug reciever packs in the B/C slot (not channel 3)

Always turn off speedo switch. You will run a few laps with speedo switch on and rec pack switch off (but it will shut down)... mistake I made and someone else... just habit....

A little longer to charge batteries now

Motors run about 20-40 degrees cooler

Gear about the same as you would 17.5/2S or down a couple teeth

Setup almost same. Some softened some stiffened... all real close

http://thunder.rcresults.com/09-27-2009/html/75175_LiPo_PROA_Main.html
(big wrecks in the main haha).... speeds almost exact as our 17.5 2S days...
Thats great Mike. Me and a few others made the trip over to Greeneville on Saturday, and they had 2 of the 7.5's going there. Allan said he was very happy with the speed. They looked like they may end up to be a tick faster than the 17.5 2C there.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they might be a little quicker also. What I have seen and hope it continues is the mad rip off the corner seems to be gone.... at least for asphalt. This is what killed handling and RR tires.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Fast lap on lap 17? Were you waiting for your tire pressures to come up? hahaha
Good to hear the guys liked it. I know what ya mean on the batts taking longer to charge...never thought ahead enough about that myself.

dk

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None that I saw... but not a lot of bite. You do have to lift though quite a bit. Almost the same as a Snowbird size track - just on asphalt...

·
Banned
3,250 Posts
There's a local carpet track around here where the bite was quite high and they had an issue with lifting the left side tires. Carrying alot of speed with less weight on the left. They'll figure it out I'm sure! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
andy billy bruce was having mad issues like that at minnreg (carpet track,high bite) with his 1 cell 7.5 car a few months back....

i'm hearing you want as short a wheel base as possible in 7.5 1 cell to get lf weight back?

any tips would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting findings today...

Timing is not your friend in 7.5. I ran profile 4 on LRP SPX motor was around 160. Bumped timimg up to profile 8 and went down 1 gear. Car slower, sluggish, and 225 degrees! Went to profile 3 and went up 3 gears a ton better and about 150 degrees (all after 4 mins). Another racer was fighting dumping at the 3 minute and 3:30 minute mark, motors were ahot, hot, hot. Turned his to number profile 2 in the main (from number 6) motor went from 220 plus to 160 and picked up almost 2 tenths (his fastest all day by far). So watch the timing... it's a whole different animal it seems with 7.5 (not sure about 10.5 yet).

Just a friendly obeservation.... now back to Nascar on TIVO!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Just to throw this out there....in 10.5 the difference between setting 6 and setting 8 is 6 to 7 teeth at easley. so if you going to use setting 8 youd better drop 8 teeth to start...atleast.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Running last week at greenville and playing with timing it liked it in the motor better then the speedo motor temp 150 to 160. Gearing was also around the 2c 17.5 and tire wear was more on the RF then the RR and also felt a little flat off exit of corner, But she will Boggie down the straights.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I Was Also Running At Mtr On Sunday With Rcthunder But I Was Running 10.5 Against The 2cell 21.5 Guys.. I Run A Different Speedo I Run A Tekin Rs So My Timing Goes By Actual Points Not By Throttle Profiles But Same Basic Idea.. I Was Running A Speed Passion Motor Which You Cant Adjust The Timing In But It Loved The Timimng In The Speedo....

One Quick Question Is The 10.5 1s Cars Supposed To Be A Little Faster Or A Little Slower Than The 21.5 2cell Cars??????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts