Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what the thoughts or comments are from the members of QSAC on a class of 8.5 plates for Sprint cars. I know that QSAC does not have a class for the 8.5 plates.

Local track call me and ask me what my thoughts were. I see good and bad. I know a few guys sit on the sideline or has race a few times and said they are not ready to race with 10.5 classes because they don’t what to tear somebody up. I know at least 3 people called me about the plates and said they would like to see an 8.5 class just to get there feet wet before moving up. These guys never race a quarter before however, with the sprint car class not being very big, divided the class won’t be good either but I too would like to see a full field of cars when I show up then again without more new members joining in, less income for the track to receive.

With the stock cars class it seems that the class with the 8.5 is the larger over the 10.5 but do you really notice any better handling or control over the two.

Is this something to get new members to join? Iowa is a hot bed for sprint cars (full size) and a lot of people are more interested in sprint cars versus G.N. when looking into purchasing a ¼ scale but it goes back to “ I don’t want to tear somebody up” excuse.

Before I commit to racing in that class at that track I mention, I would like to know the pros or cons. Is this something that the QSAC would look into in the future for more new members?

Mike
www.willmannracingproducts.com

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Mike.1st and formost there are not any QSAC GODS. There is only 1 god. I do not see people wanting to jump off into a sprinter without any Q scale history, It will make alot want out very soon as these are on the fragile side. Can you say 1 crash = a wasted chassis . When you can't full field every time there is no need for division
in the class . And this is my .00002 worth not much.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Don't race if you don't want to tear something up. LOL 8.5 to 10.5 . your going to tear something up with both plates. and I bet you couldn't tell which plate you had in when looking at the damage. for someone new it may help to start with 8.5 to get a feel for the car and how it reacts to inputs . its not like driving a pan car.
10.5 will give you a 10th more speed on the clock. tell them to practice with 8.5 until they feel like they understand how the car feels and they can run a whole tank without hitting the wall, then strap in 10.5 and get used to how that feels.
8.5 isn't going to stop anyone from tearing anything up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mike if that is what they want to do,, let them do it,, a entry level class is not a bad idea ,It will give them a chance to learn the car and how it handle's , Robert :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
8.5 plate will masks problems on a sprint as they do with cars different setups would only miss lead a person on getting there feet wet I run sprint and sportsman do those 2 back to back in heat races you will see a huge difference in throttle control and corner timing but no matter the size of the plate you can still ball them up so the best thing to do is jump in it and get lots of track time alone if you can so you know what to expect

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Mike.1st and formost there are not any QSAC GODS. There is only 1 god. I do not see people wanting to jump off into a sprinter without any Q scale history, It will make alot want out very soon as these are on the fragile side. Can you say 1 crash = a wasted chassis . When you can't full field every time there is no need for division
First off I want to disagree with the above statement one crash and one wasted chassis. In the old days maybe so but not today. I ran a chassis for over four years and it still is racable. Yes, they are more prone to damage when wrecked vs. a stock car but they are not junk after one wreck as a rule.
Now we have classes for those wanting to get started and SPRINT cars are not it. I only race sprints and I have worked for many years to get the class where it is today. It is still not big enough to split into two classes. Leave it alone.
Running a quaterscale car is different than smaller scales. They react slower and have different ways of handeling. If they insist on a sprint car then track time is what is needed. Mostly alone on the track to start and gradually add more cars. Remember in open wheel classes RUBBIN is NOT racin its a crash. One more thing, respect for the other racer that has the spot you want is the most important thing.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Hummmmm. Great question. I think that if there are people that show up and want to race with an 8.5 on sprinter, let em race. If the class takes hold, QSAC can adopt the rules for the class and even make it part of the NCS. I think the thing is to not force the issue on people that want to run 10.5.

For trying it out, maybe you could adopt a multi class sprint car race where say if you have 5 people that want to run 10.5 and 3 that want to run 8.5, put them all in one race. You can award a first place for each class within the same race and that way everyone gets to race with eachother and learn how to control thier cars. I think it depends on the racers if they want to try that, just an idea...

Glad to hear that there is intrest in the class anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
NO to 8.5 sprint you won't learn anything buy it sprint is not a beginner class I don't apose growth of sprint but it don't need the misconception of being other than what it is a premiere class

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I think Sprint should be 10.5. I always tell newbies to not start off in the sprint class (even though they look cool)....They are just to fragile for the new racers.

If any class needs 8.5 its truck. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey slider i think .00002 is what we all be worth after.The health care bill is passed.
Ed

·
Registered
181 Posts
I for one am in this very position right now. I saw the sprints in iowa so i went out and bought one. I have no laps in rc of any kind. Did i do the wrong thing?, probably but..... would i have gone out and bought a stock car? the answer is no probably not. Isn't some new blood better than none? So now i have to live with my decision and will have to put in my time on my own because the quote "i don't want to tear anyone up" was my very first concern when talking to Denny and Dennis Andrews in Boulder City last weekend. I am ok with how long it takes to become confident in my own ability to be smooth and stay out of trouble. From a newbie perspective it doesn't seem like there are enough sprints for 2 classes, just my 2 cents
so Boulder City here i come, just looking for laps, laps ,laps on my own, until i do my time
Mike Huts
La Sal, Utah :thumbsup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
It was great talking with you up there in Boulder Mike! It will be nice to have a new guy running with us even though that has to be a long hull from Utah, right? But anyways I hope we didn't discourage you in any way, Yeah they are fragile, but fun as can be! Just keep on doing what you have been as far as parking lots and come on down to our next race and get some laps... You'll have plenty of help there to get you going the right direction! :thumbsup:

Denny

·
Registered
181 Posts
not discouraged at all Denny, actually i was encouraged by the amount of help offered.
Its about 8 hours from here, but i am sure it will be worth it. I sent off my qsac membership today and i can't wait to get going with it.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I agree.:thumbsup:

We had many guys that thought GN was the only way to go at LPR. We proved them wrong! Even three seasons after adopting the Sportsman class as our premier class, there has been little interest to spark growth in a GN class.

And yes, the 8.5 Sprinter class if offered, would most likely top attendance over the 10.5 sprinter class within a couple of seasons. That is why you are seeing opposition for it here.

Hummmmm. Great question. I think that if there are people that show up and want to race with an 8.5 on sprinter, let em race. If the class takes hold, QSAC can adopt the rules for the class and even make it part of the NCS. I think the thing is to not force the issue on people that want to run 10.5.

For trying it out, maybe you could adopt a multi class sprint car race where say if you have 5 people that want to run 10.5 and 3 that want to run 8.5, put them all in one race. You can award a first place for each class within the same race and that way everyone gets to race with eachother and learn how to control thier cars. I think it depends on the racers if they want to try that, just an idea...

Glad to hear that there is intrest in the class anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
8.5 Plates on sprints

First off there is an old saying, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON"T FIX IT. The sprint car class is fine as it is. For those of you who do not run sprints, why are you promoting changing the class. I have been many years building this class up with the help of a few others. Randy Baker and myself have traveled to many races only to find just enough cars to make a class. We now enjoy the fact that we have a fairly solid class of cars and now some of you want to destroy that by changing the class. People that don't even run sprints want to change or divide the class. Don't make sense to me. How about I start campaigning for changes to the sportsman class, at least I own one or two even though I choose no to race them. I also have a super truck or two and an Indy car and a couple of drag cars so I know the cars and classes. Lets see. First off lets get rid of the IRS rear ends and go back to a solid axle. Don't tell me they don't work and its hard to set up the car. (sprinters do it every race). Next lets get rid of those big 3 inch spoilers and run a two inch spoiler. Don't tell me it don't work I've run them. Lets see what else I can think up to change, what you don't want change, well neither do sprint car owner/drivers. We love our class just as it is. If all cars were running 8.5 plates( I don't really think that it will go that way, and I don't see where you can predict it will out grow the current setup) that would be fine but there is NO reason to divide a class that has come back from the non exsisting. This class died after the 1996 Knoxville Nationals and is now a viable class leave it alone.
Aussie fan. I respect your decision to buy a sprinter. I wish you nothing but happy times with your car. If I can be of any help with it I will be most happy to assist you. If someone comes to me and wants a sprinter I will do my best to see that they get one and have fun with it no matter what level of experience they have in RC. I have loaned people sprint cars and got them into the class just to help build the class. Ask Todd Holloway how he got hooked on a sprint car. Ask Will Landers how he and Gilly got hooked on sprinters.
Look at the Grand national class and how people complain about the cherry pickin when a GN driver runs sportsman. Fact is the GN class was divide and then one died and see what you have now.
The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine only and I stand behind them 100%.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I agree.:thumbsup:

We had many guys that thought GN was the only way to go at LPR. We proved them wrong! Even three seasons after adopting the Sportsman class as our premier class, there has been little interest to spark growth in a GN class.

And yes, the 8.5 Sprinter class if offered, would most likely top attendance over the 10.5 sprinter class within a couple of seasons. That is why you are seeing opposition for it here.

tim we are talking about haveing a GN class at lpr next year been kicked around buy a few of us that need to move out of sportsman and as for 8.5 plate sprint if we went to that i would make someone a deal on 2 sprinters cause i would not run it hell i would rather see a all one car class instead of sportsman and GN as that :wave:

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Yeah, that was the talk in the 2008 season for 2009 too.

As far as me saying the sprints should run the 8.5 plate well that's not what I posted. My post simply said I think it would most likely out grow the 10.5. ;)
tim we are talking about haveing a GN class at lpr next year been kicked around buy a few of us that need to move out of sportsman and as for 8.5 plate sprint if we went to that i would make someone a deal on 2 sprinters hell i would rather see a all one car class instead of sportsman and GN as that :wave:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would say if a track wants to run the 8.5 plate in Sprint cars , GO FOR IT! Just make sure that the guys racing know that they cannot race a QSAC race that way. After sometime they may move up to the 10.5 and build that class. Get them in and get them hooked, build at the local level with whatever it takes to get people to race, QSAC does not have to support them all and should not thats what makes the classes elite.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
well tim its probly gona happen in 2010 as for 8.5 outgrowing 10.5 sprint would never happen sportsman is allready a denuted class we dont want the sprints that way

1 - 20 of 68 Posts