Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i often wonder why JL made a 78 pontiac but not a 78 camaro
the body shape is very much the same, just a different front and rear end
then on flip side, i can find an '82 camaro, but no firebird of that body style
any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I believe the 78 Pontiac has more possibilities than a Camaro would.
As was mentioned in the 3rd Gen Firebird thread, money was an issue.
As much as I hate to admit and say it, the Camaro's are a better seller than the Trans Am as far as JL diecast is concerned.
But at least with the 78 Trans Am, they can make an S&B car and the same goes with the 79. I think they were able to look ahead for these two castings for sure.
just my opinion.
Chris
 
G

·
superduty455 said:
.
But at least with the 78 Trans Am, they can make an S&B car and the same goes with the 79. I think they were able to look ahead for these two castings for sure.
just my opinion.
Chris
S&B With a 78??? I think not, they could with a 77 though, S&B cars were 77s

78 was just a Special Edition those lucky .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
robmcin said:
S&B With a 78??? I think not, they could with a 77 though, S&B cars were 77s

78 was just a Special Edition those lucky .....
Rob, although you are correct, The only difference would be the headlight grilles. How many folks will notice that but you and I and the other bird fans???
I'm pretty sure they will market that, and call it a 77 since you won't be able to notice the grille at that scale anyway.
You know what I mean though, dontcha??
Chris
 

·
Rocket Power
Joined
·
3,267 Posts
The Camaro in any and all years would do good. I've had a zillion requests for that vintage Camaro. Would be a hot item. Do like they did with the Corvettes and fill in all the generational gaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
What about a two car set per card with one Camaro and one Firebird, both from the same year? And have nearly every year of car included in the releases of the series. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
flyin'68bird said:
What about a two car set per card with one Camaro and one Firebird, both from the same year? And have nearly every year of car included in the releases of the series. :D
I would buy at least 1 of these for each year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Actually, the Camaro and Firebird body lines are different, and just putting a cap on the end for a different front end would not do. The Firebird "crease" in the door is farther up the door than the Camaro. I've seen people try to put a Firebird door on a Camaro, and the line did not match.

Not sure if that holds true for 3rd generation or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm, was not aware of that
i do know that the engine hoods would not work either. the firebird is flat...so to speak. while the camaro has the couple sloping areas to the side (for a lack of better description)
guess this wouldn't be as simple as i thought
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top