Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I allways enjoy Duncans pix (so I thought I steal one!:))
Got to looking at the casting and thought something is kinda off with it.
Is it the height of the trunk lid area maybe?
After some checking some Charger pix, I think so.
And there are supposed to be body lines that follow the wheel openings that are entirely missing from the car as well.

Just an observation. I enjoy the subject of proportions a lot. M2 has plenty that impresses me greatly.
In fact the front and rear bumpers as seperate pieces are nicley done, and the tailight lenses are perfect! :thumbsup:

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Yeah I think it is in the trunk too. GL got it perfect, and I think HW did a very good copy also.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, there are things I enjoy about this M2, and definately like the proportions of the GL version a lot.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Looks like a case of bulging hips, some pronounced tapering of the rear, in combination with serious butt sag... That's a medical term. Funny, because it's not something I notice with the one I have. Of course that one is BWF, so it must hide it well.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.... it's not something I notice with the one I have.
Yep, the horrors of macro photography!
Most castings seem to look better in person, but pix allways tell the whole story, good or bad - like it or not, for better or worse, and so on and so forth, etc, etc. :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
You made me curious so I went back and looked at some of my other pictures.
Here is a picture of the same car in a different color scheme. Does it look any better to you in the rear in this one or still look off? I've been staring at them too long trying to decide and now they all just blur together.

or this one?

Even though colors, options, etc. are different I'm sure the castings are the same. So whatever happened on one probably happened on them all. Not sure any of this helped my curiosity any, though, what do you think?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
In the pictures, it's a little hard to tell what the actual body contours are. But in comparing the M2 to a 1:1, it appears the tampo stripe could be a major culprit in the visual distortion. The stripe on the M2 is very exaggerated and not nearly as fluid as the 1:1. Not a good likeness at all.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Yeah, I see what you mean, the stripe on the 1:1 kind of flattens the curve and makes everything flow smoothly to the back little spoiler, the tampo stripe goes way up and over the curve and makes the fender arch look exaggerated more than it really is. And now that I look at it, I think the taillights/openings on the M2 are a little on the small side compared to the 1:1.

Makes me now wonder what it would look like detampoed, but I don't think I'm going to try it to find out.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah guys, I'm seeing it just as much in these other shots.

I don't think the stripe faslely highlights the problem, but it does shine a light on the problem.
Here the deal as I see it. The top of the door is too horizontal. It's supposed to pitch upward more.
As this body line continues, it then pitches upward, then downward to quickly. These lines in the 1:1 and the GL casting change direction in a more gentle fashion...less abruplty in other words.
Removing the tampo would not stop the problem, but removing it could serve to highlight or exagerate it less.

In my lifetime of examining car shapes, drawing cars, and being a bodyman, go with your first instinct, as that is what your unwavering subconcious eye sees first. From there if your concious mind doubts, take exact measurments. A millimeter or two in 1:64 translates to an inch or two in 1:1, and believe me, that can be a mind-game on the eyes, and that small amount of incorrectness really is not small at all and creates a dis-harmonious feeling. Allmost like when you see a striped shirt in certain light or on the t.v. Or similar to what an out of tune guitar sounds like to the ears - a clashing of sound waves for the eyes you could say!
Designers work long on exacting proportions to what "looks right" an when something is off even slightly, it hurts the senses.

This overly simpified example I quicly found in this linc of two map drawings illustrates how important slight differences in line widths can be more intersting to you the viewer.
I don't know if this really illustrates pleasing proportions, but it does show how much more one map just "works better", and can help to make you mindfull of slight variation in basic design.
http://www.gitta.info/LayoutDesign/en/html/ReadabiliRul_learningObject2.html

Also think of it like this, I think maybe you can relate car design to hanging picture on a wall.
When you hang pictures, your minds eye is automatically "sizing up" how certain size pictures looks on a certain size wall, and how the negative space created compliments the certain size pictures. To be clearer, how does the empty wall space work with the size of the pictures?
Say you have three pictures to hang. Where do they look best within the certain size wall? It's a design problem that the artist inside many of us does naturally.
And there-in-turn, you can relate car design to 3 boxes, in a way like 3 pix on a wall sorta.
The front clip, the doors and green-house, and the rear clip of the car should ideally be of complimentary sizes to one-another.
Don't forget wheel placement and size into this equation, as well as the angles of the A and C pillars, even the B pillar. Even the width of the pillars...everything - every last detail has an effect, bigger than some may realize.
Going into it deeper, all colors give off different vibrations and I tend to think colors can even have different effects on certain car shapes possibley.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I see that something is awry. The bottom of the back window on the 1:1 looks to be higher than the cowl. on the M2 it looks to be even with the cowl and the tops of the doors do not slant upwards enough towards the rear. The overarched stripe accentuates the low deck lid on the M2 which is too low compared to the 1:1. That 1:1 is SICK! I would love to have it, especially in Panther Pink.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Well said, Lum and you give some really good examples. I think that the subtleties of body lines and panel proportions become greatly exaggerated when scaling down from 1:1 to 1:64. A few fractionally misplaced body lines on a 1:64 scale create a trompe-l'œil.

On the '71 Charger the top of the door area does not follow the same flow of the 1:1's belt-line. The M2's trunk belt-line is not as high as that of the 1:1; also the wheel well openings are too high which help to exaggerate the perceived length of the quarter panel. Finally, I think that the rocker panel line is just a bit too high on the M2 which would also make the sides appear shorter in height and longer in length...

:wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts