Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was lucky enough to find a '69 like the one found recently that was missing the tampo on one side so I didn't have to use it.

The plan is for a yellow /w black stripe around the rear (like the Superbee) and possibly a flat black roof, with all the xtras.
I tried out these slicks off a HW dragster but they didn't give it the look I was going for:

So after a little work it now sports the fat slicks I like on my cars. I put the engine in too:

I did a burgundy '70 Charger recently with that same tampo, I don't want another just like it. Now I'm going to strip off the paint w/ the handy new carbon steel wire brush I got for my Dremel today and within a couple hours it'll be ready to start painting.

Wish me luck.

Guess I'll show a pix of the Hemi Road Runner in the works too. I messed up the paint on it tonight and may have to redo it:

Compared to the blue one that sits on it's old chassis now:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

When it's done it will sit with the '67, '69, '70 and '74 Chargers:

That '69 was one of those with no hood and the little metal engine. It's lines didn't look true to form somehow, to me anyway, so I wanted to do a different one.

I have a new custom Charger SRT8 too, but it's not worthy. :p

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm not much for the big engines, but I like your choice of cars!!!
Are you going to add the '68 with the purty round tailights, '71 and '72 and of course the '73 special addition? (love them opera windows). May as well complete the set. That SRT8 is not a "Charger" in my opinion. It seems that popular opinion doesnt like the '66... but I do.
The Dodge Charger... Gotta love it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not much for the big engines, but I like your choice of cars!!!
Are you going to add the '68 with the purty round tailights, '71 and '72 and of course the '73 special addition? (love them opera windows). May as well complete the set. That SRT8 is not a "Charger" in my opinion. It seems that popular opinion doesnt like the '66... but I do.
The Dodge Charger... Gotta love it! :thumbsup:
There's nothing I would love more than to have a complete set of Chargers representing the '60s and '70s but these are the only models I have, or have seen on the pegs. I saw a nice looking purple '71 in the HW forums but that guy said it was from a show in Japan. I haven't tried to post to see if anyone has them for sale or trade cause I really wasn't sure what years they made them.

I do have a trade set up for a sweet '68 Dodge Dart for an error of mine, first trade I've done.

I'd like to have an older GTX too. Mine are '71 and not that square body style that was so tuff looking.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the Charger body primed w/ flat black and the roof taped off so it will stay like that with any luck. I shot the rear w/ gloss black and when it drys will lay a line of tape across it and do the rest of the car in yellow. It's bright yellow on the Testors cap too lol. This the first time I've painted a car more than one color so I hope it turns out OK.

The Road Runner fell over when I was painting it so I had to strip it and start over, so I went w/ a different color altogether. It'll need a second coat and won't be dried good till tomorrow. All is going according to plan though and may end up better like this.

I got some little bottles of paint and detail brushes today and have been doing my taillights, insides of exhaust pipes and such while waiting for paint to dry. :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
My brother used to have a '74 Special Edition, It was triple black and way to much fun. Man, I loved that car.

That is a great lineup, nice work.

My personal choice would be any of the '68-'74 with the '09 SRT draivetrain. Now that would be fun!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, guys. This is the look I'm going for:

Here's the HW:

I just hit it w/ the second coat of yellow. It looks like it's going to cover it this time so it should be ready to finish up tonight.

I put the second coat on the Hemi Road Runner and it's almost dry now.
It could probably use a third but I'm ready to get it together.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the tape off the Charger I painted yellow. There was a little bleed under the tape but it doesn't look too bad. I'm hoping I'll be able to touch it up. I did get a good straight line across the back.

I had painted the Road Runner white and that is the worst stuff to work w/ IMO.
I put 2 coats on it and let it dry all day but I guess I should have let it sit more. It looked like it needed a car wash by the time I was done putting it together, anything on my hands stuck right to it, so that I just took it apart and am going to spray it flat black.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It didn't turn out as well as it could but it could have turned out a lot worse. :p

Please keep in mind this is the first time I've painted a car more than one color and I had to tape everything off to get the roof and black stripe, which was a learning experience:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
That is nice! What black did you use? It looks like a vinyl top in the pics. Looks good!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is nice! What black did you use? It looks like a vinyl top in the pics. Looks good!
The roof is flat black.

I sprayed the whole thing in flat black, then taped off the roof, shot the trunk w/ gloss black, then taped a straight line across that before spraying the whole thing in yellow. When I took off the tape I had the vinyl looking flat black top and the gloss black body stripe, so there are 3 different color paints on it.

I'm really not too happy with it and will probably strip it and paint it yellow w/ this Krylon paint I got today. I've painted the Road Runner w/ Krylon and like it so far. I'm waiting for it to dry good and will finish it tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts