Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting wheel variation. Not sure if its rare, or a common thing. Cards are the same...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I really hope I'm able to find the one with the 5-spoke redlines('67 Camaros are hard to find in my area), since the other one is ugly. I really do not like those wheels.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Great find :thumbsup:

I personally feel nothing is Rare first of off with Mattel when it comes to todays HW's and second - How can they be Rare when there is over 4000 Walmarts worldwide that will be carring these ??? People on FleaBay and other chatboards are hyping these up as REAL hard to find Redlines ....It's all Hogwash

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Great find :thumbsup:

I personally feel nothing is Rare first of off with Mattel when it comes to todays HW's and second - How can they be Rare when there is over 4000 Walmarts worldwide that will be carring these ??? People on FleaBay and other chatboards are hyping these up as REAL hard to find Redlines ....It's all Hogwash
now its hogwash, but in 20 or 30 years, they will be rare ;)

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I agree with McRooster. Unless some unlikely event destroys over half the collections in the world, there's no way these will be rare. As someone once posted, most collectors will not live long enough to see the day when their collections' values grow anywhere near their expectations. Mattel just made too many of these toys and everyone is putting them away for their kids' futures. There are hundreds of thousands and even millions of some of these cars produced. There will be the same number in 20 or 30 years. Everyone seems to be using the original redlines cars as their basis for collecting. Today's Hot Wheels will not enjoy the same collector status, save for a very few anomalies that make it through the production line.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
matell made a ton of original redlines too.... obviously not as much as today. But with half of collectors scalpers/ebayers and the other half in the opening/carded/customizing scene... but we will only see in time.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
not all were opened :p
Sure, but most were opened, which is why loose ones are expensive and the prices for packaged ones are astronomical. Plus, production numbers were much lower than today because HWs, in '68, were a new venture to fill a gap in a market controlled by Matchbox and others. The biggest difference is that there weren't speculators hoarding them and too many people trying to put their kids through college with them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i can say the same about technology in 20 or 30 years time, that goes for tooling and possibility castings but like i said we'll see. You are right that collecting (after the early 90s) is way more prevelant... and plus ebay and ttp are there... but i'm sure in 30 years there will be Virtual Reality or Holovision (3D of the real deal floating in space) or something.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'm still looking for both of those wheel vari '67 Camaros. They are being hoarded like crazy around here. Haven't seen either on the pegs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Past Saturday at a local East Texas Wal*Mart, I helped the toy department associate hang 5 HW CAR "STREET DATE" BASIC CAR SIDEKICK displays. I found numerous '67 Camaros with red lines wheels. I also found 4 Regular Treasure Hunts and 3 $uper Treasure Hunts '34 Fords.

I went back today again to look for these cars you speak of the there were at least 1/2 dozen of these '67 Camaros still hanging. Who would have thunk???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts