Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'65 Dodge A100 "Doomz Day" Monster truck build!

So as a new member I was wondering what I to post first? Things to do to it, so.....As that new member, I'll post a "secret" to those who MAY know me from other sites. MY Avatar ought to give it away too.....LOL BUT this model well, its something I've designed from 3 models of the SAME model I have, all 3 of them will be made, differently!

Frame has been "beefed" up just a tad, (IF your familiar with the kit you'll know!) And then the suspension removed from the "Donor" truck to be fitted, BACKWARDS to the frame. Why "backwards"? WELL the length of the truck and I wanted to keep the "Quad-Tracks" centered in the actual wheel openings of the truck. This was done by using the "shorter" end of the suspension to the ends of the frame as these parts ARE NOT centered over the axles! All is mounted solid, and looks pretty clean, I may go back and add a bit more "beef" in and around the mounts for the suspension...

AFTER the frame was sort of figured out, I had thought about engine, and placement. This engine as you know is pretty big! The length is even so, as well as width. SO, I took and placed it all around in the bed to see what best "fits" the space, given and work with it. This required some pretty serious modifications. One such, was to cut off the tail cone of the Transmission, As I wanted to keep the transfer case somewhat centered in the truck, like a older built, real one.

Because of the engines placement, and the intent of how I'm going to complete the top end of this engine, its going to be mounted, backwards! The Blower "Hat" will not be at all. (I'm saving a few "secrets" here for a surprise when its all done!) But, there are some good ideas coming! But have a look at how wide this motor is!

Then the interior floor plating. I had to figure out how that was all going to work, I have yet to figure out radiator placement and such for the engine and how all of this will come together, I thought about looking into a "gator 'net" for the tailgate and putting the radiator BEHIND the engine with a couple electric fnas on it to suck or push the air though it the other way instead of the conventional way, it only needs cross flow of air to cool the fluid inside so.....

Then, I got an "under" shot....I think I have plenty of clearance, huh? AND there isn't any axles or Quads in place YET! I've got to build them!

ENJOY! More to follow!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vypurr,
Ohhh its coming! Currently, since these pics were taken its got the engine almost ready to go in place, and the transfer case is in place. I have to figure out some areas for the radiator and get some of the frame work squared away and the frame itself, will be ready for paint...... Little ways off from that yet but not far. Its come a long ways under the past 24 hours!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So, a bit more to add to this build of mine.

I got the engine placement, sorted, fitted, and sitting to a married Transfer Case, Originally, I was going to do a divorced transfer case, BUT the length of this model prohibits that, (to short of wheel base)

A LOT of hacking on the frame, building non-existent engine mounts, and cutting the floor boards out of the bed to get it all to fit in place, WHAT FUN it was!

THEN, the fun, I had to cut the floor boards a bit to get it all to fit PLUS after the engine was "fitted" go back, and trim the floor boards even more, to add in the exhaust the engine needed! That was fun, to do just to keep the work nice and clean!

With the engine in place, and sitting as close as I can get it, puts the transfer case almost mid-ship to the model. Which gives me plenty of space, to add in custom made drive shafts, as well as a "parking brake" off the top rear-most transmission connection to the transfer case. This ought to prove a fun bit of detailing for me! As I plan to use as big-a-part "Brake Drum" as I can fit in this area (pretty tight quarters!)

Motor still sits what seems to be pretty low slung, not that I'm complaining, BUT, it will sit low enough to just be visible when all together in the location its seen here. All this makes is adding the exhaust manifolds or Headers a bit more difficult. BUT, I'll shoe-horn them in as needed (I think, I may have that issue already sorted out to this point!)

My only biggest concern for this evening, was how to shoe-horn a set of either Exhaust headers in place, OR a set of exhaust manifolds....Wasn't to much "room" for error to say the least! Its a tight fit. EVEN sitting in the bed of this truck, could you imagine putting this thing in the "stock" location!? The Blower "hat" would be sticking out the roof of the cab, as it be normally in the hood! LOL (Tho, that be kinda cool I think) Not to "driver" friendly to say the least, (no room for him to sit), altho he could have a vibrating "hot seat" and sit on a valve cover I suppose! LOL

After all of this, I sat out to see if I could "close" up the hole that was behind the insert, of the floor inside the cab seen in a couple of posts above to make it all a hole-less floor inside the cab, A LOT has to be done underneath this and have a place to mount things such as gear shift linkage, and transfer case linkage, as well as parking brake or "viewing" brake lines as well as some sort of steering lines, (NOT sure what that may consist of yet, well see....) I also have lines to run into the dash area as well....Plus inside the cab, will be the battery location possible other items that would normally be "under the hood" so to speak, As there will only be one racing seat in this! THEN the fun, I need to add a fuel cell....I think that may wind up in the factory "engine location" to even the frame build out alittle.

BUT I'll mention here, I got a few secrets that are coming to go along with this build, just because, I can....Always the anticipation of surprise with me. you just never know!

ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Great Caesar's Ghost !!! What a monstrous monstrosity you are building here !! I've always thought the Dodge A100 was one of the strangest looking vehicles to ever roll off an assembly line. Almost ugly,....but at the same time it was sort of like an ugly little dog, that you can't help but love.

It definitely had a unique look to it. And was in a class of it's own. It seems to me that there used to be an A100 called the Little Red Wagon that did wheelies. I think it was an A100 anyway.
But I certainly never seen a monster truck version. So I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.
So far, it looks fantastic ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
As for the exhaust problem, you could use some upswept pipes, or just mount them like a drag boat, by reversing the sides (left side pipe on right side) I am sure the upswept could be made very easy out of solder.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great Caesar's Ghost !!! What a monstrous monstrosity you are building here !! I've always thought the Dodge A100 was one of the strangest looking vehicles to ever roll off an assembly line. Almost ugly,....but at the same time it was sort of like an ugly little dog, that you can't help but love.

It definitely had a unique look to it. And was in a class of it's own. It seems to me that there used to be an A100 called the Little Red Wagon that did wheelies. I think it was an A100 anyway.
But I certainly never seen a monster truck version. So I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.
So far, it looks fantastic ! :thumbsup:
You would be absolutely CORRECT, thats what this model began life to be! I got 2 kits both were the same of the "Little Red Wagon" Wheelstander.....One of them, will be the factory Little Red Wagon....The other, is seen here....I was going to make it a regular ole "street" car or well truck till I found the USA-1 truck at a yard sale for parts.....Was pre-built by a child so....Didn't hurt my feelings to use it as a parts donor!

vypurr,
You would be right on the upswept exhaust, BUT what you don't know, is the secret, I'm holding back on.. LOL -I'll leave it at that for now....As when I have it all figured out, you'll see what I have up both my sleeves when it comes out in a picture as this truck comes together.

Remember, I'm "designing" the motor still, and there are more things to happen to it, Its merely seen here being "fitted" to see what I can and can't do...And how I want to go about the things i want to add and the space limits me, and how to get around the limitations....BUT thats to say, I'm holding back a couple secrets I plan to add to the engine!

I'd love to be able to find a set of Boat Headers for it tho, I think they'd look and work for what I have planned! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
vypurr,
You would be right on the upswept exhaust, BUT what you don't know, is the secret, I'm holding back on.. LOL -I'll leave it at that for now....As when I have it all figured out, you'll see what I have up both my sleeves when it comes out in a picture as this truck comes together.

Remember, I'm "designing" the motor still, and there are more things to happen to it, Its merely seen here being "fitted" to see what I can and can't do...And how I want to go about the things i want to add and the space limits me, and how to get around the limitations....BUT thats to say, I'm holding back a couple secrets I plan to add to the engine!

I'd love to be able to find a set of Boat Headers for it tho, I think they'd look and work for what I have planned! :thumbsup:
I possibly knew you had some tricks in your toolbox!! Was just offering some of my thoughts, even I they are as warped as yours LOL
Was looking through my parts box, and all I have are small block Chevy headers.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vypurr,
Ohh I get it! Believe me, Altho, I got the issue remedied without a loto f fuss, PLUS, the parts were stock Mopar model parts (I'm TRYING to keep, things somewhat "factory" or well "OEM" to some extent, as the old Mopar ad went "Factory made Muscle Cars" with a picture of a 440-6 in it.

BUT, the boat headers, there was a kit made with I think a '60 something Chevy, that pulled a trailer with a Hemi powered boat.....SO, but it turns out that I am not going to need to go that route!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Whiskey! I've gotten a short ways BUT, I've got 50 other things going too, not to mention "life" things that drives me insane and thats really a short drive anyway, for me at least! LOL

More pics to come tho.....I got a few to take to "catch up" so....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THANKS! Its come a little more then whats seen here! I just haven't gotten pictures of it yet, as I'm working on others and going to get pics of them all at once as I get this "round" done and get ready, for the next one!

The hardest part so far was getting exhaust manifolds on it, to fit, and be able to go off from that point with the rest of the engine!

1100 Holley Double pumper Carburetors are next to be fitted to the fine power plant seen here!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I had some SERIOUS thinking/designing to do on this model. Why might you ask? I need to add some stuff to the engine, and that "stuff" is that "secret" I mentioned a while ago, and never gave anyone ANY influence on....WELL now, some of it, will come together!

Have a look for yourself:

Notice whats BEHIND the engine pointing to the FRONT of the truck! LOL Talk about serious horse power in plastic, only this detail is brass AND solder glued together and in some areas actually "soldered" together....Adds a slight bit of weight, BUT looks the part, as I wanted it too! I have some "fill" to add here and there, that will be done from a tube to sort of, close gaps and such with little to no sanding, if I can help it....THEN, I have to paint all of it....BUT It does need some more detail added before any of that can be done, as I want to close the gaps up now as the detail will make that fill adding part of the build almost/near impossible!

NOTICE the exhaust pipes and where they go.....I think thats an AWESOME way to exit. Something different!!!!! I've also thought of adding a "Y" and having "stacks" with a box that close flow to go one way or the other....Kinda like a "dump valve" or waste valve like used on a turbo set up to bypass induction, BUT, not yet, I've got some other details to come up with first.....

As you can see, I got the aftercooler made to fit, and "placed" its NOT glued, nothing is, except whats on the motor as I have to get this all out of the body to paint the frame and do other details with it not in place....SO, I've got to add a regular radiator yet, this will be a "stand-off" from the aftercooler, and will be "fed" by means of openings in the rear of both front wheel wells....NOT the grill! You will see this as I approach that end of detailing the whole works!

This pic shows a little better of how the stock Mopar manifolds are coupled to the custom made turbo's....They will have another pipe coming off them, that will sit atop the plenum that will sit on the carburetors that I still have to make, and then the intake air will go through a rather large blower "hat" but with NO "butterflies" in it.....Just a set back-in, filter seen from the front of the truck....

Thats it for now, BUT a lot of detail for this is to come! Stay tuned!

ENJOY!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scott,
Thats what my moto stands for. "Plastic Horsepower" LOL

A little work, sure, but when done, pleasing to look at.....

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Hemi the exhaust and turbos are fantastic! How on earth did you manage to bend the tube so perfectly around such a small radius?? Awesome work my friend! I used to work next door to a fella who had twin turbos set up on his 74 Duster 340, it was a monster just like this!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whiskey,
WELL there is a trade secret....The brass pipe is just that, brass pipe....The secret is the "silver" stuff, thats NOT pipe at all! Thats actual REAL pipe solder bent to look like pipe....Sadly, I didn't "polish" it so....It will be painted to match the rest of the silver color on the engine which is Testors "Flat Aluminum" paint..

As for "bending" I have a few tools for such, they aren't perfect....Not sure If I go back to re-do them or leave as-is to look as tho mistakes were made but those were the only corners, cut....LOL

Your friend with the twin turbo 340, it have dual blowers too? Be a TON of boost on those main bearings in real life! (As much as I'd love to say, this engine here could have been real, (the block and heads, sure) BUT double blowers and twin turbo's, isn't something EVER gonna happen UNLESS its on a rather heavily built lower end big block, and man, let me tell ya, it have to be a SERIOUS design on the bearing end of that crank, thats a TON of downward pressure on it....God sake, it have to be a forged crank made from Titanium, NOT just "coated" with it....LOL Be some engine, the pressure would somewhere blow it apart....BUT it sure is a nice thought, yeah?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts