Discussion Starter #1
A '65 Vette to test blue Krylon X-Metals:

With the '63 Vette done in red:

An iridescent blue mini Boneshaker:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this over a simply striped body or some level of polish before paint?
The factory paint is stripped off then the bare metal highly polished before application of the Krylon X-Metal paint, which is clear with a blue tint in this case. Anything that looks like a stripe is probably just the light reflecting.

I wish you could see the depth of the finish on the door of the little Boneshaker... I thought I liked the red paint but this has an even nicer effect.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The exterior is sweet, but that red interior has got to go! How about a shade of tan?
I just did it to test the new color and didn't do any detail work or put on rubber tires yet. I agree though, and will do the interior and base in flat black when I get to it. The lights and such still need done too.

Liv N Low, it's just a spray and forget process, for at least 24 hours. If you don't get the cover you want it's good to spray it again as soon as possible, the first coat doesn't even need to dry. I've been doing 2 coats, one right after the other, and getting good results.

I've had good luck with it lately and it's really pretty easy to use. With the exception of a day that it rained, it dried foggy then for some reason.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Boneshaker, in particular, came out great.
I was watching the sun glint off it as it came up this morning... :p

I did a mini Boneshaker in the red for somebody that I've been waiting to mail. The blue looks so nice though I think I'll send that to him instead. I can always make another for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm lovin that blue! Have you tried the blue over red for the black look yet? I think I went red, blue, then red. Another quick question. After polishing did you rough up the finish with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper? I had bad adhesion problems.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm lovin that blue! Have you tried the blue over red for the black look yet? I think I went red, blue, then red. Another quick question. After polishing did you rough up the finish with scotchbrite or fine sandpaper? I had bad adhesion problems.
The way I've been doing things is to use 300 sandpaper, then a steel wool SOS pad, and finish up with the stainless steel wire wheel on the Dremel. This may seem backward to some but the wheel really brings out a mirror shine the steel wool or sandpaper can't do, for me anyway.

When I spray it I use the cardboard back of a blister pack to set it on. That lets the excess wick away. If it wicks too much and leaves a lighter place around lines in doors or something spray it a second coat after the first has had 20 minutes or so to dry. I use needlenose to hold the casting when I spray and will sometime continue holding it a few more mins to let it dry a little so it won't wick as much when I set it back down.

I haven't tried the alternating colors yet but will give it a try. I got some Pledge with Future shine at Wal-mart today and have been experimenting with that. It only goes for about $7 a bottle and looks really nice so far. I dipped this Vette tonight and painted the interior and base. I'll post pix of it when I get it together.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is how the Vette turned out after being dipped in Pledge with Future Shine, detailed and wearing new shoes. The interior was done in flat black and the gray plastic base in Rust-Olium silver Bright Coat Metallic Finish spray paint (does not give a clear tint):

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. It looks as wet now as when I dipped it.

I've tried it out on a few other things and it shines things that weren't shiny in the first place. This cop bike had a flat finish to start with. I used a small paint brush and just painted it on instead of dipping it so I didn't have to dismantle it:

When I can get good pix of some of the things I'm trying I'll post them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts