Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order full sets of pinion and spur gears and was wondering the difference between 48 and 64 pitch gears ... I will be running oval with a KSG Extreme ... and before I spend the few hundred for full sets I wanted different opion on the 2 sizes and which would make more sense and why

TIA John

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
I use 48 pitch on my 1/12 scale and can see that gear ratios are VERY limited due to the size of the gear compared to the teeth number. I believe this would also be the case with 1/10 pancar and think it is why "most" people run 64 pitch on pancars. My understanding is that there is also a finer amount of gearing you can do with 64 pitch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does makes great sense ... IE smaller ratio more teeth to .001 inches .. thank you ... also does anyone know of a supplier that offers selling complete sets rather than having to enter 50 different things into a "Shopping Cart"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Gears

It wont be necessary to get a full set of gears for oval hear in So Cal. On my KSG I run a 120 spur and only need 37 thru 40 pinions to acomplish my rollouts for stock at our local tracks. Of course if your running 19 turn or Mod it will be a little different on the pinions. Hope this helps. Bob.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Bob .... I will only be running stock so that sounds good to me ... I am just getting back into racing after 10 years so for now I have a huge learning curve and don't want to interfear with someone elses chance of winning ... ;-)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do not go out and buy a complete set of spur and pinion gears. Go to the track and talk with the fast guys that are racing your class. They will be able to narrow things down to a couple spurs and about 6 pinions. In over 20 years I have never seen a prepackaged set of gears. Buy them as you need them.

chad w. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Let us know what track or runline you will be racing at, stock motor you will be running, and how tall your tires will be and we can get you in the ballpark for gears.

If there is anything we can do for you here at PRS just holla'.............

COMPETITIONPARK.........thanks for the kind words.

Tony Moffre
PRS Customer Service
[email protected]
www.prsrc.com

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Due to the size of the teeth I'd have to say yes but others may disagree.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you to PRS and lefthander-Rc.com I have my set on the way of 64 pitch .... thank you all the input for this "rockie" ... :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
The way I go about it is that 64 pitch is always for onroad and carpet,the 48 pitch is ideal for offroad and dirt oval. 64 pitch is too frail for the outdoors dirt and provides smoother and less friction and noise on carpet. remember though if it makes noise its slowing you down. I keep 4 spurs 88,96,116,120. I use the 88 & 96 spur for tighter cornered tracks to be able to come off the corner better. my useable pinions for these range from 25 to 35. I can achive any rollout I desire.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I won't take credit for this tip as it was posted here on Hobbytalk by someone else (who I can't remember)

To easily set mesh using 64 pitch gears, first determine what size pinion gear you want to use. Next select the next largest pinion gear. For example, if you want to use a 25 pinion, grab a 26 pinion. Using the larger pinion, mount it to the motor and set the mesh snug with the pinion against the spur. Tighten down the motor screws. Now remove the larger pinion and put on the smaller pinion. You should now have a good working mesh for the gears.

I've tried this trick and was surprised how easy it was to use. I'm not suggesting this is the easiest or best way to set mesh, but it did work in my case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts