Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some sneak peeks of the stretch GMC. The pictures are out of order. I had to cut away enough chassis to accept the for the original fat tires and wheels. I made a upper and lower K-member to handle the spindles that I hand fabricated. Making the spindles allowed me to drill the wheel placement holes anywhere I wanted, thus allowing me to have control of the height of the front end, so I made it lowered. The left & right spindles are connected by Stiff wire to be used as a tie rod. I need to come up with a way to keep it from falling off when turned upside down though. May be some small rubber bushings (like the king GL used for their front wheel spacers), or I can put a small ball of soldier on the ends. If some one has a cool Idea, I am up for suggestions on this one. Help is always appreciated. I will be filling in the center wheel wells and make this only a single rear axle. I am still contemplating if I am going to be making rear open doors or not. Enjoy the picks. Any questions and comments are appreciated

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i use crimps for my tie rods and other things like tachs. radaitor hoses.
thay can be found at any jo anns fabric stores in the jewlery making section.
thay come in black-brass -silver- gold- once you see them the ideas for use is unlimited. i usally get 3 packs. of these because i use them alot.
i also use them on my wire harness just slide them on the thread and crimp them flat. then thay can be glued to the fire wall. also i use them on my spark plug wires. thay are round with a hole in the middle. very thin. thay look like ball joints.:thumbsup: i have no idea what size these are i just buy them. bring your spindel with you to check size out.
i do know thay will slip over the rubber hose i get there and it is 1mm imitation leather - black. its used for making bracelets and stretches.
look at all the stuff there. ive found bottle jacks- cylinder heads - and more you just have to figure out what you can use them for.
hope this helps:wave:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
if you look at the back of this motor you will see on the spark plug wires a black crimp. i squeeze them flat and thay hold the wires tight and can be glued to the back of the block to hold the wires tight. i also make my own distruberters caps that hold the wires. this motor is 1/64th scale that came out of the altered state car.

i made the velosity stacks out of bb pellets 177 flat nose. the butter fly arms work.:wave:
and the spark plug wires are removable

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crimp bead worked

i use crimps for my tie rods and other things like tachs. radaitor hoses.
thay can be found at any jo anns fabric stores in the jewlery making section.
thay come in black-brass -silver- gold- once you see them the ideas for use is unlimited. i usally get 3 packs. of these because i use them alot.
i also use them on my wire harness just slide them on the thread and crimp them flat. then thay can be glued to the fire wall. also i use them on my spark plug wires. thay are round with a hole in the middle. very thin. thay look like ball joints.:thumbsup: i have no idea what size these are i just buy them. bring your spindel with you to check size out.
i do know thay will slip over the rubber hose i get there and it is 1mm imitation leather - black. its used for making bracelets and stretches.
look at all the stuff there. ive found bottle jacks- cylinder heads - and more you just have to figure out what you can use them for.
hope this helps:wave:
Thanks Gunn I used your crimp bead Idea. I made a "S" on one end and then used your crimp bead to close off the other. The wire I'm using is .032 so the 1 mm bead wouldn't fit so I used a 2 mm bead. I love JoAnns. I saw the last time I was there (Fathers day) they had 1.5mm crimp beads (Never saw). I was on a tight budget so I didn't get any, but I had some of the 2 mm ones here at home. I hate to admit, but I used to do Fimo clay and bead jewelry with my wife. It was really a lot of fun and we used to sell or finished product along the Kenai peninsula to gift shops. We had gift shops from Anchorage all the way to Homer. I think the jewelery making gave me some skill that has added to doing the custom diecast (At least knowledge of some of the supplies). So the moral of this story is don't nock getting experience in something that may prove to be a asset in another time of your life. No matter how unMacho it is. Does that sound right???

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update & need so me advice

Here is some update photos on the GMC panel stretch with operating front wheels. Also Should I use stock rear wheels or use these monster slicks

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Damn Vernon, You never, ever, ever, ever, ever cease to amaze me... Your work is totally amazing... You are definetly the most outstanding customizer and designer on the entire internet and you have been a great inspiration... No joke my friend... One "DYN~O~MITE" piece of work !!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a update on this custom, I was trying to do this in black chrome, and I sprayed a really nice chrome base coat, but the black translucent covering only looked grey. I was disaponited , the kit was nearly $20.00 (That i couldn't afford). So I am going to paint this in Yellow and I am going to go with a Mooneyes theme. LMK what you think about that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts