Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gem showed up for me this xmas to give to my newborn son. They made sure to tell me no collecting it's for play. Hmmmmm I guess a custom restoration will be in order then. If this baby is going to be returning to the sandbox it will be in style.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I noticed that there were more than 80 new (mostly)metal Tonka Dump Trucks on clearance for $15 each at WalMart last week. They didn't sell well before Christmas at $29.95 each, and they still didn't seem to be moving at the reduced price. I have a feeling that new large metal Tonka trucks won't be with us much longer.

Just the other day I was thinking about all of the different models of Tonka (& Structo & Buddy L, etc.) that were available when I was a kid, such as your classic Dump Truck; now it seems that Tonka is down to just one model and it's not selling well, even right before Christmas. Oh well; everything changes, as they say...

Congratulations on your new son. You sound like you're a great dad. He'll love that truck when he's old enough for it. Some of my fondest childhood memories were the hours of playing "Tonka Town" in my dad's and my best friend's dad's dirt piles. They even bought 'new' dirt for us a few times!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that there were more than 80 new (mostly)metal Tonka Dump Trucks on clearance for $15 each at WalMart last week. They didn't sell well before Christmas at $29.95 each, and they still didn't seem to be moving at the reduced price. I have a feeling that new large metal Tonka trucks won't be with us much longer.

Just the other day I was thinking about all of the different models of Tonka (& Structo & Buddy L, etc.) that were available when I was a kid, such as your classic Dump Truck; now it seems that Tonka is down to just one model and it's not selling well, even right before Christmas. Oh well; everything changes, as they say...

Congratulations on your new son. You sound like you're a great dad. He'll love that truck when he's old enough for it. Some of my fondest childhood memories were the hours of playing "Tonka Town" in my dad's and my best friend's dad's dirt piles. They even bought 'new' dirt for us a few times!
Those were the days...I love that fact that I get to play with them again. I remember when the first big yellow dump truck made it home to my dirt pile I played for hours. Remember the tv commercial of the Tonka dump truck with the full size car front tire sitting in the back to show how tuff it was? All us kids would get our dumps and head to the top of the street and we would sit in the back and race to the bottom. Thanks for the kind words. J

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Cool Truck!
I once had a nice collection of Tonka items.
Then my Uncles and cousins began returning home
from overseas duty in the military.
One of those kind gentleman taught me how
to 'daisy-chain' my M-80 Firecrackers together.
And my Tonka trucks were some of the first victims.
Oh......the memories!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
All us kids would get our dumps and head to the top of the street and we would sit in the back and race to the bottom.
Without a doubt too ..... I had 3-4 Dump Trucks that all of us kids in the neighborhood would use.
My sister would get our all metal steel Pedal Car and race too.... Thanks for the memories :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts