Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two shades of the sf ford pickup. the darker shade looks like the color of the reg wheels version. the other is a brighter red. the best picture of the colors is on the tailgates :) two shade of green too

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
:thumbsup: Great photos.
Some collectors believe that most of the odd colors -pink,purple, green, yellow, tan,red, gray used on transitional superfasts like these 2 here were in fact old stock regular wheels paint left over from the mid 1960s.It is easy to match the left Ford base to the rear section of the GMC Refridgerator truck, while the other matches the Ford stationwagon and those rare desirable fintailed Caddys which did not turn out silver or metallic pink
These Ford F100s also came with the original solid and hollow skinny SF wheels, and with a white front bumper rather than plated- my example is a black base solid skinny wheels chromed bumper example.Metallic green bases are the rarest of all the different colours - there was talk last year on mboxcommunity.com of a metallic green base no 24 Rolls making about $100 in an auction.
Perhaps the brightest shade of red is an early part of the paint run when traces of the previous orange color were still inside the paint spray guns, because lesney didnt clean their paint gear between color changes - and they worked from lightest colors to darkest logically....

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
some more pickups with different grills, wheels, colors and base plates

i never realized the sf 24 rolls green base was that rare

a group of sf24 rolls with different wheels, colors and base plates

the difference between the light and dark sf24 rolls and the thin solid and hollow wheels

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thats my favourite Lesney color on the left hand 24 :thumbsup:
The colors with tinted laquer on top of a gold or silver primer like these Rolls and the 75 Ferrari Berlinetta have much greater shade variations than solid colors because of variations in the thickness of the primer and the topcoat determine the shade.
Today these are HTF so collecting this shade variation (Rat Rod colors) will probably be expensive..(-this pair belong to David Tilley).I am lucky to have a very shiny one with 3 small chips.I remember seeing these in my local toystore in 1971, with the enlarged arches and thinking how ugly it looked compared to the RW (I chose a 23 VW blue VW camper that day instead) - Lesney have stated before that the minimum re-run for 1-75 was 1/2 million and normally a run was 1.5 million cars -so there were at least 1/2 million of these shared around the world, but only a tiny amount survive - a few hundred or a few thousand? I used a drill to swap baseplates on a spare green SF and a blue RW to make these HTF expensive variations on $2 cars :hat:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts