Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts

Holy Batmobile!
Excellent job of the detail interior!

dreamer, you have best detail interior of the 50s Batmobile.
Here is a another detail interior of the 50s Batmobile from fellow Batfan Chop Mcgee.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
:D Thanks, guys! This thread's gonna end up being printed and framed the way it's going right to my ego!

I like Chop's additions and sense of style. Robin's got a happy far-away look on his face as he holds Julie Newmar...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dreamer, thank you again for these wonderful advice posts you wrote for me awhile back. Just wanted you to know I finally began painting my 50s interior last week (wanted to wait until I got all the supplies I needed--total newbie here). I printed out everything you wrote, I believe I've referred to it around 40 times now!

I printed out those incredible interior shots you posted as well, but decided not to try and make an exact copy. First of all I lack the expertise--secondly I'd feel like I was stealing your hard work--third I'm anxious to see my "own identity" come through. I did want my "woodwork" slightly darker than yours (but lighter than other pics I've seen showing dark brown). I decided to use Model Masters Acrylic No.4673, "Wood". At first I wasn't pleased with the results, it looked like a dirty mustard yellow. But after waiting a couple days, I took a couple of those Crayola Coloring pencils (light brown, dark red brown), took your advice about looking at a favorite real piece of wood (I used this Southwestern cutting board I have--lots of great hues) and tried to emulate some of the "pattern". What's ironic here is that I decided I didn't like some of the "artwork" so I got out a simple pencil eraser--rubbed some of the pencilwork out but also got some slightly lighter variations in the Model Master acrylic. Used just a touch of flat clear finish (over the desk). And now I'm sitting here amazed at what was once black plastic looks like some genuine wood pieces!

Anyways--thank you again Dreamer. As soon as I have this completed, I'm going to borrow my sister's digital camera and take some pics. I realize this probably doesn't even count as a model to most of you guys out there, but this is my "first time" and everything is still a hurdle!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Apache! I was hoping we'd hear from you again! Great, I'm glad I didn't steer you down a dead end or anything! :lol:

Don't worry about "stealing" anybody's work, we copy bits and pieces of each other's techiniques and choices here all the time - even when we try to emulate someone else, it usually turns into something unique anyway...personal technique is kind of like handriting that way. But good for you for putting your own stamp on it! You'll be more satisfied with it that way, and happier in the long run.

That's great about the erasing! I've read about things like that happening to the most advanced modelers, something unintended turns into a great discovery and ends up becoming part of their repertoire. So, you're experimenting with new stuff and going your own way with choices - you're well on your way...and we hope to have you hooked on modeling by the time you're finished with this one! ;) Take your time, but do post some shots when you can!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Dreamer, I was hoping you'd see that post! When you get a chance, could you please answer 2 more questions? 1) The dash on your car--in some pictures it looks charcoal, in others it looks gloss black; may I ask what color you actually used for it? & 2) Did you "Future" your plexiglass pieces?
I wanted to add, this is a GREAT site--you guys sure know your stuff. Before reading your posts, I didn't have a clue about modeling sandpaper (whew, lifesaver!) or washing the pieces first, or even using primer before painting. The models I assembled as a kid, I used to almost "cake" the paint on, couldn't figure out why I always had such a tough time with it. NOW I know. And to let you know, I'm planning to do a couple more after this one--I wish my timing had been a little earlier though, I'd love to find the movie version of the Jupiter 2! Anyways--thanks again Dreamer!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The top of the dash? Hmm...you're right, in some shots it looks the same color as the upholstery. Actually, it's flat black to avoid just that...but charcoal might look good too.

Yep, I used Future on the canopy, inside and out. Gotta tell ya, though, I'm not the one to talk to about that...I've been told to use a brush (and clean it quick with soap and water 'foire it ruins the brush), but have developed no skill for it. Sponges have been recommended, but no skill yet there either - either get the sponge too full of Future, causing a mess, or get it too dry. Usually, I use Q-tips, but that runs a big risk of leaving behind particles (happens often, it's a trick I'll abandon as soon as I can do do it a better way). Better thing to do is start a new thread asking for tips on Future. Somebody here once had a whole article about different things you can use the stuff for.

Yeah, these BBs are great for learning! There are a few other BBs as well you should look into depending on just what you're interested in, like The Clubhouse, the new CultTVman BB (just started, so there's no archives or alot of current discussion to draw on yet), or StarShipModeler. Also look into the CultTVman main site, plnetu of builds on display and quite a few how-to articles, same as at StarShipModeler. I've been on the PL board since something like '98 shortly after whenever it was it opened, and these guys are still teaching me new stuff. They've taught me plenty, and prevented a number of mistakes in the process! Plenty I haven't tried yet, funny you mentioned it...

...I'm looking over that LIS movie Jupiter 2 as well! Not very popular, that ship. The kits didn't sell well, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one. Probably goes for very little on eBay. In fact, there's one currently for sale in the Swap and Sell forum (I don't think the rules allow me to post a link, but it's Barry Yoner's thread). Fifteen dollars still sealed, not including shipping from Canada.

Will be quite a while before I do mine, though, because I'm determined to put lights in it and give it a new fllight deck...and that just intimdates the hell outta me! Never done lights before in a kit, and talk of circuit bbs and the rest is all Greek. Those other BBs I mentioned, I never do more than lurk and try to soak up some of their knowledge because their stuff is so overwhelming. Would love to do the kind of work on hardware that they do!

You might also find a local hobby shop and wsee if there are any modeling groups in your local area that are tolerant of or friendly towards this kind of genre stuff. Kind of a shy loner here, but there's this annual sci-fi/fantasy/horrror contest in the next state I've been going to, and there's nothing like meeting other modelers and seeing their work in person.

Er...sorry for the long replies every time...:drunk:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dreamer--once again, thank you for the useful information. I've decided to forego the Future floorwax idea, sounds like something a little beyond my limited experience here! And I appreciate the tip for finding a movie Jupiter 2--you were right, a slew of 'em on Ebay! I got a brand new one pretty cheap! I realize the movie kind of tanked, but I still loved the new ships' design. (Not crazy about the color scheme though--definitely plan to come up with something on my own there.) I've seen those Cultman examples of the original & movie version ships with lights, absolutely amazing! I'll be anxious to see what you do with yours! I'm also debating buying the PL Enterprise NX-01, want to do some more reading up on that first.

Thank you again for all your input and NO APOLOGIES ARE NEEDED for your thought-out replys!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts