Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1949 Oldsmobile found

I thought it was a 50 Chevy, but it's not.
OK, don't get too excited...this 1/64 casting and its detail are not that great. But for .50 a car, it could be a good candidate for a PIP, or a crusher, banger, or a part of a junkyard diorama. I bought a couple just to bring home and examine for possibilities. It's nowhere near JL quality.
Some Dollar Tree stores have these cars for sale now. They're made by Golden Wheel Diecast on a card that says American Classic. It has a tan interior (no side inside panels), plastic wheels and a Chrome plastic chassis.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I like that. There's a Dollar Tree on my way home. I haven't stopped there in quite some time, but I'll be stopping there tonight.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is a very cool car,I bought it a while ago to make a custom. But I think it is a '50 Olds.I looked with a magnifying glass and the hood emblem looks to me like olds,also look at the headlights (bottom) they look olds too! but I could be wrong,my olds facts that are burned into my brain are of the '71 442 variety!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DadsCoronet said:
Pretty neat car, David. The front bumper is a bit exaggerated, huh?
I say, paint it black and flame it! :thumbsup:
Hey Mark, yeah that front bumper is way to big. I'm thinking maybe put the back bumper on the front too, then it would look more reasonable. At .50 cents a car it's easy to cut the pieces you want and discard the rest of the casting. Black paint with lakers, and definately new wheels, would help this casting a lot. The orange paint on it just does not seem right to me. Still, I think it would look great in a car graveyard, all rusty and stuff like that.

·
0 Posts
JP2-NC-JL-CRAZY said:
Good looking car. Man, I wish JL would make that.
JP2
I love this car. It's a '49 Olds Futuramic 98 Holiday Coupe, and the funny thing is, JL has got a '49 or '50 coupe like this in the works! The casting has been seen here on HT in the red-painted pre-pro stage. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
49 Olds Golden Wheel

This model was originally issued with a different baseplate by Valvoline Oil in 1993. This recent issue is even more detailed. The original came in a set of
" Valvoline's 10 Most Wanted Cars" as a free promotional ! Until they showed up in GW blisters about 2 years ago, no one knew the origin of these models . Some were more stylized than others. The Olds was and is one of the most realistic!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tone said:
Hey I like that one. I have a couple. Now, I need a '55 or '56 to go with it. :)
I just checked some back threads/posts and I saw where you posted a picture of this same car on 3/25/06. And here I thought I had found something 'different'. The more I look at it, the more I like it. And now that I know the car is an Olds and not a Chevy, the grill makes more sense too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Golden Wheel models

MoparNut360 said:
I have a few of them as well,both the valvoline and golden wheel versions. Easily one of the best castings made by them.
2 other great castings by GW were the Checker Cab and 50 Chev Sdn issued in a boxed set of 4 called "American Cruiser" , about 2000 (?) Interesting how this firm can vary so much from realism to stylized castings!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts