Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones thoughts on running 5 min races. Most other classes run 5 min and with todays batteries why not. I'd like to see this start locally around here for starters.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The way things are now with batteries being pretty steady and consistant it has allowed stock and 19 turn to grow in class counts. If we strech it out longer it makes batteries a war again. and will probably drive some of the racers away again. I say that because i know of 8 racers back racing because the battery deal has settled down, and good batteries can be gotten from everywhere.

Yes other groups off-road and on-road run 5 min races but oval harder on batteries than any other form. If 5 min races are brought into oval you will see the battery wars begin again and seperate the haves from the have nots.... and that realy hurt racing. I belive things need to be left alone for a while to allow for growth of new racers. and current rules and racing should allow for that growth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We use to run 5 mins (Stock only) with 2000's, and nobody seemed to mind. Oddly enough, now that the batteries are better, we've gone back to running the standard 4 minutes??? We'll occasionally run 70 lap mains though, on a track where a good 4 min run in stock is 56 laps and a good run in 19t is a few laps more.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Have to agree with Billy on this one! I,ve ran the same four battery packs since last November and there still competitive, been able to spend the money on other go fast goodies :devil: Besides I,d rather run four minutes wide open than run 4:45 then pray for 15 seconds.

See Ya! Lee Helander
Velocity R/C

·
Registered
75 Posts
we have been running 5 min for years. in 19t i ran three packs all winter long. i would rather run 5min and there always will be a battery war. lets face it the fast way to get more hp is better batteries. also 30 amp dis i still have 60+ sec left.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
I too have to agree with Billy. Roy you are right...there will always be a battery war. However, I think 5 min races would bring on a bigger battery war than what exist now. Currently the guys with the hot batteries do have a slight advantage however for the most part everyone is pretty competitive. You start adding another minute and batteries become more of an issue. I've seen more people starting to race again because cost have been lower. I'd hate to see these people leave cause high dollar batteries are needed to compete.

RC

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Leave it at 4 mins and add another qualifier if you want more track time. That way you have a choice. 5 mins can never work for oval without leaving the haves and have nots concerning batteries.
We all dont race at one track either. Some tracks you can make 6 mins. Others you can dump in 4 mins even in 19t class. The battery situation is the best it has ever been in the history of R/c racing. We now have a durable, affordable battery with good numbers available over the counter to everyone that can be run in BOTH classes. Most can make runtime easily in a 4 minute race. Dirt racing or touring, sure, I see no problem with 5 or 6 min. races.

·
Registered
82 Posts
would just like to let you know we have been running 5minute heats for over a year now here in north florida . and everyone likes the longer races.when we first started to run the extra minute most of us were still using 2400,s with little problems.Now with the 3300,s it,s even better running both stock and 19t. The extra minute really makes the races alot more fun with the extra laps anything can happen. Gary

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
if u go 5 minutes, u wil have to gear down.. modified xcan barely make 4.. now 5 ???? roar ran 5 min races for a year.. after that, tyhey went back. to many people protested it.. 5 minutes of clutching the wheel is to long.. try sedans they run 5 minutes...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=1051948

the link is off topic but i saw it on another site and thought it was funny

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
4/5/4/5/4/5/4/5/4/5/4/5/4/5 ?

Ooops,
Garys your right :eek: I forgot I,ve been racing 5 minutes at Branford with no problem! And boy is it alot of fun over there! Okay caps on concrete is great! but put a set of foams on my cars and I,m done in four :lol: I guess 5 mnutes would be a track by track option for the racers to decide?

See Ya! Lee Helander :cool:
Velocity R/C

·
Registered
61 Posts
At our track we have been running 5 minute heats for several years now. Granted we run on a small track 70 x 24, and we run stock motors. But we have plenty of run time left. We figure we are here to have fun, the battery technology has advanced so far why don't we enjoy the extra runtime we have? I'd alot rather be racing than sitting on the bench.

·
Registered
75 Posts
burbs ha ha nice link. but we have been runing 5min in 19t and stock only not mod. the four carpet tracks that i raced at last year all ran 5min and have for years. i just don't see the big battery problem but they are all smaller tracks 173 and under.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good comments i guess i have to agree about battery wars of the past. Burbs i almost sense a liitle smart ass in your comment.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
nope not trying to be a smart ass at all. just dont agree with 5 mintue racing.....

gear down to make better time= slower speeds....

1 min more racing = more tire wear

1 min more per heat x4 rounds x how ever many heats = more rushed race programs...

1 min more = more abuse on the motors and batteries.

just think if the snowbirds added one more minute to each race... they would have needed an extra day

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My local club runs 5 min for stock and 19t 0degree, still 4 min for modified. We don't really have an open 19t anymore.

I think going to 5 mins. could be very good for oval. I don't think it will incite a battery war at all, not anymore than there already is. I don't race stock or 19t enough to know how the batteries really hold up but in modified with the extreme heat we put on the batteries with 7 or 8 turn motors after about 8 cycles(2months of racing) you can feel the difference, they just don't perform like new, still pretty good but nothing compares to fresh packs in modified. By going to 5 min is modified we would have to run 9-10turns most everywhere and would put a lot less stress on the batteries.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
749 Posts
I agree with danny...
in mod run time has always been an issue, as batteries got better, the lower the turn motors were used. if you went to 5 min in mod you wouldn't be able to use the drag motors we're using today.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't see much of a problem running 5 mins in stock and 19 turn but keeping mod at 4 min for 10th scale. But 12th scale you could raise the mins run real easy.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
if we did it it should be 5 minutes across the board.. no les time for mod... they would just have to adjust like the other classes...

everyone always wants to go faster.. but in all honesty in 19t and mod u will have to gear down to make time.. even stock.. that extra last minute the car will go flat...

ps its been 4 minutes since oval bagan.. lets keep it that way.. why not add another qualifyer to your race program.. thats what we do...

time wise it is exactly the same...

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
See, ThAT'S WHAT A BATTERY WAR IS! If you have to gear down to make time, someone will have batteries that don't have to gear down! Sponsored drivers always want the 5 min racing, because they get the top 5% of the batteries. You will just be running for 3rd or 4th if you go to 5 min racing!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts