Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm looking for an idea of a starting point for the B/L5.5 on a 240 ft. Banked Concrete oval (CAP TRACK) w/ 5 min. racing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Seems like alot to me but don't know much about the 5.5 I've been runninglow to mid 3's on the 2 tracks we run one 390 ft and 1 about 260ft with the 4300

·
Registered
683 Posts
When runnig cap tires in a pan car, just use gear ratio and not roll out. I ran 1.68 gear ratio yesterday on our track which is 365 ft with a 13.5.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Joe
add or subtract .08 to rollout per 10 ft. to a known track size rollout to start,on BL modified.
Are we talking about B'field?
You making AZ. next month?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Kevin,

Got my plane tickets booked for AZ already, I'm bringing my AMBrc system for the race..but I found out this week..3 of my "LOANER" Transponders are dead..and that is going to freakin KILL my race budget for the season!~

btw, yes B-Field - The "TOUR" will be there on April 21. I'm going over with a couple guys for a private shake down and info gathering soon...

Over the past umpteen years...I've never really used "ROLLOUT" numbers until last year. I've always gone off actual gear ratio notes...(Not that those can't be converted to roll out, as long as you know tire size...)

I can't find any old notes on the B-Field track, but it seems to me I ran something like a 3.47 (104/30) ratio w/ a 13x3 w/ caps... and about a 2.38 w/ foams.(100/42)...but those may have been old VELO 6 cell ratios, I don't remember.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
At the 04' nats with 7dbls we were 124\25 with a 2.24 tire\foams,i believe we were on 3700's back then at Showtime.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...so that's about a 1.42 rollout and was 4 minutes...

So the 5.5 I'll guess would be close running for 5 min., so if I shoot for 124/22 w/ the caps it might get me a good place to start...I can't imagine trying to run there w/ a 3.5 and caps...CAN YOU GET A LOW ENOUGH ROLLOUT?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yep,you;ll be able to with a 3.5,just get some 128 and 132 spurs for the caps.
keep us informed at the test and what tires ,i know what worked at the 02' nats.

There running lipo 5.5 on smaller tracks down in AZ. so 4 cells should be pretty easy to hit the rollout for 5 minutes.

on carpet 178 driveline the Bl 3.5 guy's were like 1 flat on the rollout but that is 4 minutes,time to go back and do some throttle driving like the old days with 5 munutes..

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..well, rollout was never an issue for our test. We had the car feeling pretty good early and we were getting it faster and faster. (This was my 14 yr. old sons FIRST time to run CAPS on the old SHOWTIME - now METRO SPEEDWAY) His very first race some 4 or 5 years ago came at this track in the ROOKIE Class with a STOCK motor and he only had a couple racers here.

We stuffed him out there with a KSG Gen2 car and a 5.5 B/L system with GOLD R's and Green L caps. They were very old caps, lightly scuffed on the MaxMod w/ the carbide bit.

He was able to lay down full power out of the corners by the 4th or 5th battery pack, and lap times started in the low 6's and he got down to the mid 5's (5.6 if I remember correctly)

This is about a FULL Second a lap off what the FAST guys use to run here...but considering the track was just dug out from being 8 ft under dirt, and a driver who had NEVER run on Caps on a short track...I was getting excited.

On about the 6th run, he kissed the outside wall going down the front straight (end of pit road) and broke the T Plate.

I only had 074's to replace the broken 063, and the car was never the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts