Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on a 5 1/2 hp Briggs vertical shaft. Its on a tiller. It will start if I shoot a little ether in the carb. It will run great. But then after a while it will leak gas from under the carb base. The carb is mounted on the tank. When I shut it down and try it the next day, it won't start without the ether. So far I have rebuilt the carb with a new carb gasket. Is there any fix for this? Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Can you post the model type and code numbers off your engine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 3 screws that hold the carb to tank. They are tight. The carb kit came with two gaskets. The first time I mounted the carb on the tank I used one gasket. Didn't start and Leaked. Then I used both gaskets. Leaked less, Didn't start. Bruce

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Check and make sure that the fuel leak is not coming from the fuel pump diaphragm on the side of the carburetor.

Did you replace the diaphragm when you serviced the carburetor?

Also make sure the overflows on the cup in the tank are not plugged up. The short tube on the carburetor sits in this cup. Fuel is pumped from the tank into this cup and overflows back into the tank, if it cannot drain freely fuel may be forced out between the carburetor and tank.

Best of Luck...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I replace the diaphram on the side. I will check if the gas is coming from there or between the carb and tank. Thanks Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts