Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been talking a little about some of the modeling I've done in other topics, but it belongs here. So here's a current project for the bigger local tracks.

The car is based on a Tyco 440X2 narrow chassis. Built more than 15 years ago it has only had to have the comm polished, a new set of rubber and pick up shoes and new brushes each series. It's still a hard competetor and holds a couple of track records.

It uses a standard high power armature from BSRT riding in Class 7 ball bearings. This is the original armature from 1991, like I said, other than a little cleaning it's never failed. The brush tubes are threaded and tension on the platinum springs is adjustable. I also use only silver compound brushes, very soft and give great contact and easy wear on the comm. Motor magnets are neo's, as are the traction magnets in the back and the rounds under the independantly rolling front end. The rear tires are usually dictated by the track, the ones one the cars are for the 2KM scale Evergreen Speedway in Oakhurst and are custom BSRT's, I never tell exactly what grind...some things need to remain secret.

The hand built body is made from sheet styrene of .010 thickness for the most part, some of it is as thin as .007. It's ducted to allow arm cooling during the 20 minute main events. I've been building ducted bodies like this for quite some time, and they always help in the long races. This car also has some ducting of the air coming from the bottom of the chassis. There are two small "gills" just forward of the rear tires on the upper body surface. These gills bleed air passing under the side of the body (next picture) and coming off the back of the front tires. The ducting inside the side pod forces the air upward much like a ground effects car does. How much air is actually moved is up for debate, probably not much, certainly not enough to create a downforce effect, but at 30 MPH on the 24.5' back straight it makes a sinister whistle that lets everyone know it's on the track.

Still needed on the body is the fender flairs and some remaining putty work. I have run lexan bodies in the past using a custom made body clip, while lighter than this body they don't provide the airflow I feel is needed to keep the car cool. Neo motors generate a lot of heat, especially when running on deep cell batteries like the Oakhurst track, failures have occured. Their series is only 4 races, one failure kills any chance for a points victory, and this car has been champion three times in the last 5 years. The only bad thing is that the body generally only lasts the 4 races, it's pretty beat up and is usually destroyed afterward.

·
Registered
327 Posts
PM, Very nice looking ride, I'm not an HO type, so some of it is lost on me. Nonetheless, styrene build up I understand, nice going . . .

Cheers,
Jas

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hornet, it screams on DC battery power. The original arm for the car was a hi-dollar deal and it lasted less than 2 series. When I crashed the car hard sometime in 1991 and had to rebuild it I needed a new arm. This was the arm out of my modified car, and I needed a quick sub. It worked and has been in the car ever since. But it is decidedly old technology, and the new cars are beautifully built BSRT can motored cars that are much easier to maintain. The summer series will be the last for this car; afterward it'll be broken up for parts or sold. And I too will build a can motored screamer like everyone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.