Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER - Results May Vary

This weekend at the SWTour race at the Encino Velodrome the Mod 4 cell class set a NEW Track Record. Scot Petitclerc will go onto the R/C History Books as the FASTEST Oval Racer in the world. **(Non-INSANE SPEED RUN)

Scot piloted his 3.5 NoVak Brushless powered 4 cell Mod car to a incredible 32 lap run SHATTERING the previous mark set last December at 31 laps. The 4 cell MOD class runs 5 minutes like all SWTour classes and these speeds yielded an average speed of 64+ miles per hour.

Continuing his RECORDBOOK weekend Scot also set the mark for the NEW 4300 B/L class running a fast 29 lap run to create the benchmark for this class.

...but wait - THAT'S NOT ALL - There's MORE~

In the quest for knowledge, and speed Petitclerc also made 2 official attempts on the clock for a 4300/LiPo record. On his 2nd attempt Scot ran a very impressive 33 lap run, outrunning his TQ and RECORD setting 4 cell Modified run by a full lap. What was more impressive than this earth shattering run was the lap consistancy, and stability of the car at these speeds.

The run started with a 9.17 second lap on the High Banked 260+ meter VELODROME and his 33rd and Final lap was a 9.30. (NOTE: The last 2 laps the car appeared to drift a bit higher than the previous laps...and probably did not actually run any slower than the previous 31 laps.)

Joe Myers
South-West Tour "R/C Oval Series"
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
Jake's Performance Hobbies
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
aw man, this is getting too easy. No matching batteries, no motor work, incredible fun. It just make s me want to quit all together, lol Sounds like you guys had a ball. How many 4300 4 cell cars ran, what kind of laps and times?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cliff,

The 4 cell 4300 class didn't yield that must faster time than the 19t motors (2 guys ran 19t in the 4300 class, the quickest of them qualified 2nd or 3rd)

I'll have ALL the Velodrome Race results posted on our web site by this evening...

http://www.southwesttour.com

In the test run for 4300/Lipo, just the 4300/Mod TQ Scot Petitclerc did the timed run, which beat his MOD TQ by a full lap.

Joe Myers
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Good to hear the the 4-cell/4300 combo was similar in speed at your Velodrome to 19-turn.

As far a speed runs go, you really need to get some of your guys to do some speed runs at the Indianapolis Major Taylor Velodrome which is 333 meters long (1123 ft). Last year in 6-cell mod John Foister (BSR tires) and Monti Panzica put on a show running 23 laps in 4 minutes with lap times around 10 seconds. The main wasn't as impressive, but here were the results (http://pdxracing.sytes.net/06-04-06results.html). The best lap in the main was 9.6 seconds which is almost 80mph.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do believe Scot Petitclerc is making plans on being at the INDY Velo Nat's this year...so he should be loaded for bear..bringing ALL his SPEED and ENTHUSIASM along with him....treat him well AGAIN~ He LOVES going back there...

I MISS our old 333 meter Domingez Hills VELO - THAT Place was SOOOO Freakin AWESOME. Our SHORT Velo is fun, bumpy but fun....(that Dom.Hills track was FAST, SMOOTH and sooooo damn big with incredible banking)

the 333 meter track, we used 1092 - 1123 ft. as our distance.

1092 ft. in 9.6 seconds would be 113.75 fps, which would be about 77.55 MPH and about 79.76 MPH @ 1123 ft.

Our track rolls at 264 meters I believe so close to 866 ft.

I believe 8.6 was our fastest lap w/ B/L 4 cell. (easy to calculate that...100 fps) which would be about 68,18 MPH on the short track.

With the H.P. and RIP Scot and a couple others had down the straights...I would imagine at the TOP SPEED entering the corners on the INDYDROME they would pick up at least 10-15 MPH..that would be AWESOME to WATCH~

Joe Myers
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here are the track records.

6Cell Modified NASCAR
IFMAR Start
Record Holder: Monti Panzica - 23/4:02.40
Date set: Weekend of August 10th., 2003
Heads-up Start
Record Holder: John Foister - 22/4:09.14
Date set: Saturday, May 17th., 2003

Monti record figures out to 72.5 mph average at 1123ft runline.I believe him and John both ran a lap at 9.5 seconds which figures to 80.5 mph. WOW!!!

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
A buddy of mine from up around atlanta called me today to inform me that there is a group of guys up in Atlanta getting ready to start Velo racing on the Olympic track Near Stone Mountain. Holy Crap, I'm Stoked!!!!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Don't forget....when you get to the end of the strait away, you have to turn around and come back. That missile could be hard to make do that LOL

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the laptimes for Scot's 4300/LiPo run at the Encino Velodrome Saturday

Encino Velodrome 03-17-2007

-- 4300/LiPo - Main #1 --
Car-> __1__ __2__ __3__ __4__ __5__ __6__ __7__ __8__ __9__ _10__
1 11.88
2 9.14
3 9.09
4 9.14
5 9.12
6 8.94
7 9.04
8 9.12
9 9.09
10 9.19
11 8.96
12 9.12
13 9.31
14 9.15
15 9.49
16 9.08
17 9.10
18 9.04
19 9.23
20 9.03
21 9.04
22 9.25
23 9.15
24 9.15
25 9.11
26 9.25
27 9.20
28 9.29
29 9.09
30 9.16
31 9.46
32 9.20
33 9.37
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
laps 33
time 305.1
Joe Myers

Official 'TOUR' Sponsors

Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces

WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks for the nice write up Joe! I do plan on running the 3.5/lipo combo at the next Velo. I ran out of time on Saturday to do it, because I would have had to change spur gears to get the gearing right. Having had to go to work on Saturday morning for a few hours and getting ready for two mains, just not enough hours in the day. My goal with the 3.5/lipo combo is to get into the 7 second range :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
What are some of the part numbers and companies that make this LIPO pack? If we do run a "6 cell mod class" at the velo in indy I want to try it. Can you run it more then one time any tricks to the pack? Is the pack about the same size as what? My car is a center battery car so i am not sure if it will even work because a normal pack only fits between the two post that hold the battery brace down.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
merich

The Peak/Orion LiPo packs that ARCOR is planning to legalize are the CARBON edition 3200's.

The packs come in a plastic case that have bubbles on the bottom of the pack to help the pack sit in a 6 cell battery tray.

These packs also have a female banana type plug built into the battery pack so you can/should solder GOLD plated male banana plugs to your +/- wires on your speed control and then just plug them into the battery it appears. (no need to solder at the track) and YES they can be run as many times a day..as you have time to charge them.

TOWER HOBBIES - Orion 3200 Carbon Edition LiPo

Joe Myers
Official 'TOUR' Sponsors
Maverick Oval Chassis
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces
YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE
WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
ARCOR has already approved the Orion/Peak 3200 Carbon Edition Lipo's. Effective March, 05, 2007. The pack comes with banana plugs on one end (plug into the battery) and a Tamiya plug on the other end, to plug into the speed control. Racers can replace this plug with a Deans plug also. :thumbsup:

I would also like to add that ARCOR does not plan to allow other Lipos for approval. This will keep the "battery of the month" out of the eqausion. I have been assurred by Orion that these packs will be available for some time and not change. Nice thought isn't it? Knowing the batteries you buy today won't be obsolete tomorrow! :wave:

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
merich

can you say "YIKES"~

At our velo last weekend ScotP ran a NEW RECORD w/ his 3.5 & 4200 4 cell. He ran 31 laps in qualifying at a time that beat the previous record. In the main he actually picked up nearly a full lap going the first and only 32 lap run on this track.

In a test of LiPo w/ BL he did a timed 5 minute run (Since all of our races are 5 minutes) although he used the Platinum 4800 version, because that is what he already has.

With the LiPo and 4300 he ran ONE FULL LAP faster than what he did w/ the 3.5

We didn't do any testing w/ the LiPo 3.5 combo, but will be at the NEXT velo event, but the thought of what it can/will do ....frankly SCARES me.

The average car goes around the Encino Velodrome in the HIGH 9's to low 10's in order to make 5 minutes. The 4300/Lipo combination ran 9.17 on the first lap and 9.3 on the 33rd. The final lap was not a perfect lap and I fully believe if the line were tightened up it too would have been at least as fast as the first one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Am i correct in assuming that the 4800 version is much faster then the 3200? We all know that it will be very fast what i am trying to figure out is which battery do i need to buy to run with the guys running 6 cell 4200's and 3.5. I am also trying to figure out if i want to run 6 cell and the only way i am going to is if i only buy one LIPO pack for the class because we will not run it very often. What chargers will charger LIPO packs? any tricks that i need to know?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts