Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adapting a 4-gear body to a slotless chassis is no small task. Unlike slotted cars, a guy has to account not only for getting the body to 'snap" onto the chassis (which means it has to be tight enough to hold it, but not so tight as it causes the magnets to bind with the armature), but a guy has to account for the turning radius of the front wheels, the wormgear at the front of the armature that acts like a pitman arm for the draglink, and clearance for the pick-up shoes.

Al Zenkner (alpink) from the Hobbytalk Forum gave me this Woody Model A. It was missing the front fenders and the radiator. I took the fenders off of a very broken coupe that he gave me and took the radiator off of a Hot Wheels Model T that I unsuccessfully tried to adapt to a chassis. The armature was too long and was binding up with the back of the radiator, as was the inferior Tyco silicone cylinder. I shortened the armature by 2mm and added the more durable AFX worm gear and steering pin. Even though I own a Model T, the Model A is still, and will be, my favorite car. I was determined to make this work and it drives successfully changes lanes around the track.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts