Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have come up before. But I'm new here so I'll ask anyway. Why did JL not release a 3rd Generation of the Firebird? Licensing problems?

Thnaks!

:p

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually a third series of Firebird's is being released as we speak. It is supposedly a TRU Exclusive and will be limited to 10,000 sets and probably limiting the WL's to 100. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
I think he means release three is coming out. As far as the 3rd generation 91-92 Firebirds I think they are working on covering around 87-92 with one casting.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
TO be quite honest, I don't believe they are working on anything else.... This may be all we get.
I know an 89 TTA would be nice, then you could roughly get 85 on up through 89 with a few simple changes.
We can hope.
Chris

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
deloreannut said:
Why did JL not release a 3rd Generation of the Firebird?
Money, pure and simple. I don't even remember if one was mocked up (it would have been an 85-89 if it was, to accomodate the turbo Pace Car, T/A and GTA models), but the cost to tool was judged too high at the time, despite no opening hood etc.

The Firebirds program was on hold for a while during a cash crunch a few years back, as hundreds of angry messages on this very board will attest. That program and the other new tools (70-73 and 77-81) survived by setting the 80s car aside, as the earlier ones were judged more likely to sell. Trucks and SUVs was another casualty of this issue, though slowly the castings are showing up in other series.

jk

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
KITT and KARR anyone?

I wouldn't be surprised to see these two come out eventually. Stock Firebirds using the same casting would be a nice bonus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts