Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160098032352&rd=1&rd=1\

engine i bought. it smokes for 20 seconds, have not gotten yet but was wonderinghow to get rid of smoke? will give ie new gas and oil, clean top of piston, valves, gaskets, carb, air cleaner/filter, shave off some rust on flywheel, oil starter clutch, and take off pulley, any suggestions to turbo it or something thanks, and anyway to make it go more than 3hp for under $50 thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
did you clean the carb? i found that with my 3hp its smoked badley for almost a minuite but once i cleaned the carb out it only smokes for about 5-8 seconds once it starts let me know if this helps any.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm... just looked at carb... the long pickup tube bottom is VERY dirty, in fact theres like dust STUCK to is, any suggestinos? im gonna use a tooth brush and mystery oil... and the tube can rotate but i can get it off.. is it supposed to come ofF??

·
Registered
27 Posts
use the tooth brush with some three in 1 oil that will make the dirt like a grease the wipe it out... dont forget to check the fuel bowl if it has one

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 in one oil? where can iget that? i got stores here : lots of lawn repair centers, walmart, H.E.B, Auto Zone... any of thsoe will have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
3 in 1 oil is like a light duty air tool oil or something similar.

the tube ?? do you mean the tube that brings the fuel to the cylinder (if yes it wont hurt to check if there is a seal were it reaches the block if there is check if its in good condition)

good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what you said in the beginning something about "mystery oil" that will probably work by the way what is mystery oil ive never heard of that before?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marvel's Mystery Oil. Add to your oil or gas its supposed to clean ALL grime and dirt, add mileage, reduce upper cylinder wear and longer ring life, and clean everything while running, put in oil to make longer rod life or something.... i bought at my local walmart, if ur walmart has a car section, they have it there

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nooo... i messed with the air gas mixture and it smokes forever! it smokes slightly at idle.. when throttling it smokes like @$#$ and when i let go POOF! tons of it. i took the needle off, the needle was shiny like new... what happened ? should i just buy a new carb or a rebuild kit? PS i can only start it fast by using carb cleaner ... takes like 50 pulls on regular

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine is like that to when i go to start it the only way mine will start is with a shot of gas in the cylinder or small engine quick start.....

see how much it will be for a new carb if you can get one there is also a book that i have HAYNES TECHBOOK SMALL ENGINE REPAIR up to and including 5hp engines i got it at tractor suply company (tsc) store i dont know if you have one of those in texas?
p.s. carb kits are usless if certain parts of the carb are worn out....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm... can a briggs 5 hp carb work on briggs 3 hp? carb only not tank... and what is the tank diaphram used for

·
Registered
27 Posts
the carb should be similar i think ive only done that with a 5hp carb and put on a 6hp for a freind you might have to change the down tube it depends but you will definetly have to re adjust the carb settings...

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey i thought about it for a while before you do drastic changes check the exhaust valve and see if its worn out

p.s sorry i didnt think of this before :confused:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how do i check valve? PS 80lbs of compression (or so the owner says when i by from e bay) it has decent compression when i pull

·
Registered
27 Posts
un bolt the head and the valves are on top 80 lbs is good for a three hp

change the tubes is about all youl need to do to readjust it but you might have to adjust the fuel mixture

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cant even get it started now . runs no smoke off of carb cleaner... going to buy a new carb but if i can fix it that would be nice. and no the exhaust valve not worn out, its round like its supposed to be, looks pretty shut, moves up and down with no trouble.. the pickup tubes look like they've been dipped in the mud. the end is worn out and the screen on the bottom was ripped

1 - 20 of 23 Posts