Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a great little kit.
My only gripes: it needs an interior, a sub bay and a Flying Sub...lol
For the interior and the sub bay there is only one game in town. ParaGrafix. Paul has done a nice P/E set that has an interior, sub bay, limberholes,
antennas and crew figures.
To fit the FS bay, you need to cut out the bay door. (it took about 5 minutes to score around the door with the back of an X-Acto knife)

It fits very nicely if you take your time and carefully sand the door opening to fit.
The control room is a hoot. take your time with detail painting, (leave it flat untill you are done with all the detailing) it folds together and assembles into a pretty cool little jem.

The fit of the upper hull to the pressure hull is very nice. (I installed the upper hull to minimize any slight gaps)

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Steve,
Looks great so far! How in the world do you paint the interior when it is so freakin' small?
Looks very cool!

MMM

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!...Teensy weensie brushes....lol..and some colored decal paper..
I shot the PE with a thin coat of white primer. Then I masked off the areas to stay white, and painted the blue deck. I masked that off and then painted the collision doors silver. The wood grain is brown decal and some paint. the maps and screens are blue decal cut to fit.

The P/Ehas nice detail molded in, you just have to be careful.

It's tiny, but the kit really needs an interior.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I really like what you have done with this kit. I think I am going to hold off for a bit- somebody has got to produce a little Flying Sub to go with this scale. The Interior bay I can scratch up OK- not too hung up on a nose interior right now but if there is ever a hatch or landing bay in a kit I want to open it up.

There is a dramatic difference in the Moebius and Aurora subs in that photo- like night and day....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Richard. One of the differences is my skill level, I was just sticking stuff together when I built the PL Sub.
It was a fun build, but the moebius Seaview is a very elegant looking kit.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
That's looking very sharp Steve! Fantastic painting in the observation lounge ... and the chart table is amazing.

I can't wait to see it complete!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know at that magnification it looks like giant blobs of solder..lol
I used a thick CA(the finished kit needs to be able to travel)
If I was building it for my collection, white glue would have been enough...the girders fit nicely into the frame.
This stuff is tiny, but cool.

After a near fatal fall for my big Flying Sub, ALL my builds are getting weighted stands;

Then I just cut out a base cover from sheet:

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, I got the primer on the main hull( needs a little more filler) clear parts are coated with Future. and I got some crew starting to show up.

here's what I decided to do with the stand:

The really is a fun kit to build!..please don't let 'em pile up dust in the closet.
You can have a great looking Seaview on your shelf in a few evenings.

And I guess I'm gonna be the guy to do the emergency surfacing dio...lol

Steve

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you guys so much! My heart/skills are on my sleeve when it comes to bases and things like that.

Thanks again, you two.

This kit is a hoot. it's easy to "Zoom" around the room...lol

Steve

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks for posting all the in progress pics, Steve - My LCS finally got one in for me, though it will be a bit before I can start it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys! I'm having lots of fun with this one.I was washing the hull before painting, and I remembered washing the big Seaview...in the shower...this one's lots easier to work on...lol

More pics tonight

Steve

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Thanks Guys! I'm having lots of fun with this one.I was washing the hull before painting, and I remembered washing the big Seaview...in the shower...this one's lots easier to work on...lol

More pics tonight

Steve
Taking a shower with a model- now that is serious love...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts