Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It didn't take you long to start Eagle-2!

The pod looks very nice! Glad to hear R-2 has engineered it well.

What are the eagle-2 differences? Is it just the gear pod detail? I thought the forward corridor top did not have the LM's on it, but I'm no expert.

Was eagle-2 44 inches or 22?

Thanks for starting this thread, I'll be following it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didn't take you long to start Eagle-2!

The pod looks very nice! Glad to hear R-2 has engineered it well.

What are the eagle-2 differences? Is it just the gear pod detail? I thought the forward corridor top did not have the LM's on it, but I'm no expert.

Was eagle-2 44 inches or 22?

Thanks for starting this thread, I'll be following it!
Eagle 2 filming model was a 44 inch model. For whatever reason, probably to keep tooling costs down, Round 2 ignored the differences in the corridor sections. In the filming model the corridor top and sides had different details as well as the equipment shelves in the cages beside the corridors. They did change the plumbing in the engine section to match Eagle 2 and include new pilot figures without spacesuits in season 2 style clothes.

There was a lot of new tooling for this model, the pilots, the passenger pod, the leg pods and footpads, the engine tanks and the plumbing around the tanks. Everything else seems to come from the previous release.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Looking really good! It's a shame they didn't just made the pod its own kit, and maybe include a sprue of the added/changed details to modify the existing 22" Eagle kit, but hey, not my company. :)

But speaking of the new main engine plumbing... is it just my tired old eyes or does that new stuff not...really..connect in a way that implies feeding the engines? It looks like it just snakes from one to the other. Of course I have no idea just where or how much fuel an Eagle carries, only that an uncomfortably clunky arm mates with a hole in a leg pod that isn't there otherwise.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking really good! It's a shame they didn't just made the pod its own kit, and maybe include a sprue of the added/changed details to modify the existing 22" Eagle kit, but hey, not my company. :)

But speaking of the new main engine plumbing... is it just my tired old eyes or does that new stuff not...really..connect in a way that implies feeding the engines? It looks like it just snakes from one to the other. Of course I have no idea just where or how much fuel an Eagle carries, only that an uncomfortably clunky arm mates with a hole in a leg pod that isn't there otherwise.
Yeah, the plumbing does not make sense, round tanks connect to each other in right and left pairs and to nothing else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These build/progress shots are awesome--I love this model, and each shot you post makes it so tempting...I want to build this one bad! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
krlee,

As our resident eagle expert here at HobbyTalk can I ask you a question sort of off topic?

I'm restarting my build of the 1st release of eagle 1. I'm ready to mount the gear in the pods but they are way too high/stiff.
I remember a discussion about how to fix them. I figure you will probably have a solution.
Replace the springs? Cut the springs?

Thanks and sorry for the derailment.

Mark

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
krlee,

As our resident eagle expert here at HobbyTalk can I ask you a question sort of off topic?

I'm restarting my build of the 1st release of eagle 1. I'm ready to mount the gear in the pods but they are way too high/stiff.
I remember a discussion about how to fix them. I figure you will probably have a solution.
Replace the springs? Cut the springs?

Thanks and sorry for the derailment.

Mark
There are three ways to go,
1 - omit the springs (the original filming models did not have them) to do that you will have to add a spacer, a piece of Evergreen styrene tubing to take the place of the spring. I do not remember the length of the spacer but that can be easily determined by test fitting various lengths until it sits properly.
2 - Cut the kit springs, on my first one I believe it was two loops that needed to be removed to give the proper stance.
3 - Replace the springs with new springs, .04 mm steel wire compression springs, 25 mm long x 8 mm in diameter. Those can be ordered through various vendors on e-bay and I was told on the Space:1999 Props And Ships Facebook page that Ace Hardware had them. They are also easily found on amazon. At one time Todd Morton on the props and ships facebook was selling them but I do not know if he still is since the new kit has the proper springs.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
There are three ways to go,
1 - omit the springs (the original filming models did not have them) to do that you will have to add a spacer, a piece of Evergreen styrene tubing to take the place of the spring. I do not remember the length of the spacer but that can be easily determined by test fitting various lengths until it sits properly.
2 - Cut the kit springs, on my first one I believe it was two loops that needed to be removed to give the proper stance.
3 - Replace the springs with new springs, .04 mm steel wire compression springs, 25 mm long x 8 mm in diameter. Those can be ordered through various vendors on e-bay and I was told on the Space:1999 Props And Ships Facebook page that Ace Hardware had them. They are also easily found on amazon. At one time Todd Morton on the props and ships facebook was selling them but I do not know if he still is since the new kit has the proper springs.
Thanks very much! Sorry for the sidetrack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts