Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonderning how these guys get those spec motors to run like a 27t turn motor or even better? Could any one shed some light on how to or what to do to them cause im so confused on what to do!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The spec motors have a lot more torque than a stocker,and along with the right combo of brushes and springs [if your track rules allow it] on a short to mid-size track they will out-perform a stock. They don't seem to get as hot either.If your rules allow,try either Lightspeed 4000 or the XXX brush with Orion silver spring on neg. and Orion red on pos.She'll hum!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was told by many that an f-brush was the best, but without a doubt the lightspeed brush is the best out there. DK showed me that brush this summer at an arcor race and I picked up 3 tenths with just the brush change. there are a lot of illegal ways to make them faster too but I wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im running the F brush right now. It seems to do allright. who makes the lightspeed brush? trinity makes the xxx right?Yea i know there are a lot of illegal ways and alot of the guys i run with i know have done some illegal things to there motors. Could you tell me what i could do illegaly and get by with it if you dont mind?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Litespeed is the name of the company that makes the brush. If you decide to get some, the 4000s are the ones to get (standups).

·
Registered
357 Posts
magnetic timing advancement, crank coms, bearings, lighten arms, rewind arms, take a turn out, ect .... but i definately WOULD NOT DO this as it completely takes away from the point of racing SPEC, and if you get caught everyone will be pretty P.O.ed at ya. everyone knows its all in the chassis anyways...
Also freezing a motor works great and is completely legal, just take a can of the duster stuff turn it upside down and freeze right before a race and itll help a little

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
A properly tuned 21 turn at 10 degrees will probably run with an average 27 turn at 24 degrees.

They just have to be geared totally different as the 21 turn is a torque motor and the 27 is an rpm motor.

*** Watch those 21 turn motors as they have no comm locks and can be twisted to 20+ degree's !!!!!!!!!

A true spec class division never lets the motors leave the track and there's no tinkering with the arm.

If you allow these guys to take them home ,,, your running an outlaw spec class with many a twisted armature and alot of discouraged racers.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
NCFRC said:
A properly tuned 21 turn at 10 degrees will probably run with an average 27 turn at 24 degrees.

They just have to be geared totally different as the 21 turn is a torque motor and the 27 is an rpm motor.

*** Watch those 21 turn motors as they have no comm locks and can be twisted to 20+ degree's !!!!!!!!!

A true spec class division never lets the motors leave the track and there's no tinkering with the arm.

If you allow these guys to take them home ,,, your running an outlaw spec class with many a twisted armature and alot of discouraged racers.
Im not so sure about all of that.It's easy to spot someone cheating with a motor! at least at our track anyway,our track owner is pretty well versed on the spec motors and besides if someones lap times get redicilously faster than the norm,you can be assured you're going to be pulled and checked thorougly.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Thats Great , I apllaud any track that keeps a close eye on things like that.

Theres just too many that never tech a thing.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
and they are 12 degrees. on the LS brush,i don't know why it isn't on the web page,just ask for it on your email or call Ron direct.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Watch those 21 turn motors as they have no comm locks and can be twisted to 20+ degree's ???????

These motors do have com locks and if you twist it they will break the locks.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
couple questions guys,

1- gearing? if rollout my 27t @ 2.40 where do i want to rollout my spec 21T in a legands car, 187ft runline banked carpet track. i ran this over the weekend, couldn't get the sweet spot at all.

2- where do you find the Orion motor springs?

3-which lightspeed brushes, 4050 or 4040?

thanks for the help, keep the tips coming. they are needed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't do carpet but i would guess 2.10-2.0? don't think anyone has the orions now,seem to be out everywhere i've checked. you'll have to ask or email for the 4000's he doesn't have them on the website.

·
Registered
703 Posts
pepe said:
Im not so sure about all of that.It's easy to spot someone cheating with a motor! at least at our track anyway,our track owner is pretty well versed on the spec motors and besides if someones lap times get redicilously faster than the norm,you can be assured you're going to be pulled and checked thorougly.
Yup, if anyone would know every trick in the book and a few unpublished ones, he would. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts