Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year when Mrs Fox goes to visit her family on the coast, I usually hold a gravity drag racing marathon. This years event has been extended another week and allowed for more racing action.

This years first group of contenders was made up of various loose Corvette models.

Most of these are Hot Wheels and some Matchbox. I also see a possible McDonalds promo, a Racing Champion, a Johnny Lightning and a few Yat Mings. One made in china model. and a Columbia Communications promo IIRC. Two castings are escaping me as to their brands right now.

Each of these ran against the lowest ranking Group C box casting at the time. Best 2 out of 3 with a lane change each race. If it was a tie after the first 2 runs then the winner had to win 2 times in a row. At 5 ties, I usually put them both at the end and bring in another casting. (The next day one or the other would eventually eliminate the other and then - from this group - both were eliminated.)

Meaning each of the ones shown below didnt make it into the Group C box. I think I only have a 1/2 dozen or so Corvettes in all 3 race box groups.

2020 Spring Break Gravity Diecast Invitationals
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This 2nd group of loose cars ran in the next session. I had 4 or 5 castings that did advance into the C group box - that are not shown here - as all of these lost their individual matches.

Almost all are Hot Wheels except for the 2 NASCAR racers which suffer from oxidized axles.

2020 Spring Break Gravity Racing Invitationals Group 2
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of these from the 3rd group session made it into the race boxes either. Here again most are Hot Wheels. One is a late red line and two others are early black walls. A few have damaged wheel sets, but everyone who comes into the accumulations gets a chance to race at least once. There are a few Matchboxes of course. Another made in China, a Kidco, a and a black and silver McDonalds and NASCAR Happy Meal promo.

2020 Spring Break Diecast Gravity Invitationals Group 3
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Each of these groups were run in 6 car heats on the HWs 6 lane track.

Each heat winner was then rerun against the C box lowest ranking car again.

None of the Corvettes or a casting from the 2nd group advanced. But the silver HWs (Corgi) Porsche in the lower right corner of group 3 did advance in its 2nd chance round. The white Porsche from group 2 was a temporary winner based on ties but was beat out by the next 2nd chance racer.

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have enough loose Corvettes left to run to make up at least 2 more groups. So I will provide updates on their race runs next week. ?

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Group 4's session castings that didnt make it into the C Class race box. Mostly HWs with a few MB, some Racing Champions and Jada 'Vettes with a few JL and Maisto sprinkled around. None of the rubber tired premium castings did very well of course. I did take the two MB White's Guide promos out of their clear boxes to race but as a Corvette Collector I did leave the 3 HW baggied castings sealed up.

The lilttle 1:87 HW Color Shifter didnt win any rounds but did manage to beat a few of the other Corvettes in its individual heats.

2020 Spring Break Diecast Gravity Invitationals Group 4
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

2020 Spring Break Diecast Gravity Invitationals Broup 5 by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Group 5's session castings that didnt make it into the C Class race box. Again mostly Hot Wheels and Matchbox with another sprinkling of Racing Champions, Johnny Lightnings, Kidco, Yatming and a few other China made brands.

The Kidco at the far right has a locked front wheel and the two larger castings didnt fit on the 6 lane HWs track set lanes. They barely fit on the drag track lanes but didnt make it to the finish line either.

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had more loose cars make it into Box C than I remembered. These made it into the last positions of #55 to 60 (going right to left and skipping over the Mustang casting that had stayed in the C Class box. That Mustang in position #59 (the empty lane 5 place) has since been displaced by a couple of 2nd chance 'Vettes.

After barely maintaining position #60 during a few tied races competitions with some of the loose 'Vettes from Group 4 and 5, two days later the grey Turbolence ripped off a 23 staight race win streak to move up to position #37 at the top of the C class.

Cant really explain why that happens, but very often I will have a casting that cant beat the next one to it for weeks or months - that will occasionly have a great race day and move ahead 3 to 6 places. And a very few rare times a 20+ race win streak.

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These two Way 2 Fasts were already at the top of the Class C box and were passed by the Black C3 from the Group 4 loose Corvettes who won 24 straight heats the first day it raced. The next day when I raced the Class C box castings against the B Class the Way 2 Fasts moved up a few spots into # 34 and 35. And the black C3 moved up by winning 16 more straight races the next day into the Class B box to position #21

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This other Way 2 Fast and the MST Suzuka are currently in position 31 and 30 respectively having moved down from those positions shown below of #28 and #29 below. The DT tag makes the Suzuka one of the oldest loose castings to only just now being raced.

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Nissan had already impressed me in winning 36 straight heats the first day I raced it. It bounced around from #25 to 28 during the group sessions and then won another couple of races to sit in place #22 currently.

The Way 2 Fast I think was a new casting to the Group sessions and managed to reach position #20. (Note that a duplicate casting of it is shown in position #24 above.)

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned in another thread this Cadillac ran off a 36 race winning streak and has since run off another 24 race win streak to reach the #1 position in the race boxes. Since then it has bounced around and back from down to 3, then 2 and now 1 again where it currently sits. A total expectations shock for me as a staight out of the blister casting with a low front air splitter. 🤙

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As is noted above the black C3 also with the gold HO wheel sets managed to win 30 straight races. The white '97 HWs won the Group 4 2nd chance session and managed to hold onto position #60 in the A-B-C Class race boxes I have set up.

20200326 Diecast Uploads
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts