Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Tom Z., there has been no info since he stated that they were doing something but it wouldn't be in Dyersville, because they are no longer doing anything. He further stated that they may "tag along and do something with the next DCS event". The next and final DieCastSpace event of the year is their California show. That was the last bit of info I was able to get from him but CJ (from DCS) announced that Tom Z. would be making the JL Design Forum an event at the yearly Las Vegas DCS show.

So, for those who care, there ya have it and for those who don't, I don't care.

·
Registered
319 Posts
LF's new direction

At the last Lightning Fest, the Staff was concerned for the attendees,
because there wasn't much left for a measureable warehouse sale.

They took great joy in hosting the Event and it will surely be missed.

The Vegas, Nashville and Summer Smash support from JL should work well.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Too Bad they took the name, ran it into the ground and now walk away leaving it crumbling in the dirt...........

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Did somebody say Auto Fest? Seems that Lightning Fest was destined for this end no matter who had the name.
So what are you saying? AutoFest folded with the originals running it so LF was destined to die too? C'mon Cal he had a company behind him.

I'll bet you if Tom L wanted to start another show with me, we could get a kickin' thing going right away!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
This is not a bash, but facts why AutoFest had a fast death.... 1. AutoFest combined with a Car show and was going to be placed in corners and back rooms of the car show, very little diecast & slots. 2 The date was changed from late August to mid March. Only a few made these decission and many of the guys that worked hard and built the LF & AF for many years had no say at all.
For me, why would i leave 90s & sunny SW Fl. to go to a place with a foot or 2 of snow and freezing weather and not only me, but others felt the same and just walked away. Also i sold Lightning Lane & Greenlight Garage as collecting nowdays aren't like the older days. I still enjoy Diecast yet, but most are loose in cases or rolled around.
As i said, I'm not pointing any fingers to anyone, just simple true facts. If i,m wrong, please correct me as i only know what the select few that made the decissions told me. May long live Diecasts in one way, shape or form. :)

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
That bottom picture is just so wrong :eek:

Top picture......Like a new plastic base JL.

Bottom picture......Like an old heavy metal base JL. :devil:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
It's a shame to see the entire "fest" franchise go away. Manufacturers "giving" back to it's collectors looks like a sweet distant memory of how things "should be". GL attends the Vegas thing yearly but I think they are more there to hock their goods. M2 and GL were represented at AF in 2009, looks like that was the end of "fest" as we know it. Tom and the crew I guess made an honest effort at LF for a couple of years but it sure did fade quickly into nothing. This whole Tomy thing scares me. I'm glad that certain individuals are carrying on the tradition of gatherings like CARnival and the august event in south bend. It takes a lot of effort, and they could sure use some manufacturer presence and draw national attention to bolster attendance. I hope Tomy will recognize that these events are the roots of the hobby and transcend little toy cars and become a network of friends that look forward to seeing each other all year long. It has been an important part of the hobby that I hope doesn't become lore like "the good old days".

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what are you saying? AutoFest folded with the originals running it so LF was destined to die too? C'mon Cal he had a company behind him.

I'll bet you if Tom L wanted to start another show with me, we could get a kickin' thing going right away!
What I was saying is that "ran it into the ground and now walk away leaving it crumbling in the dirt" was a pretty spot on description of what happened to Auto Fest. Even some of your back pocket people are critical of you and the changes you made to the show, which ultimately became its demise. I doubt, if you had retained the Lightning Fest name you would have done anything differently. And who really owned the Lightning Fest name anyway? You, Tom Lowe or was it left dangling in the breeze with no legal protection just waiting for someone to come along and slap a copyright/trademark/LLC on it? I ask because I don't know the real story. It's almost like that gravity track, who actually owns it? I've heard soo many stories about both, I haven't got a clue what the truth is there.

Sadly, that's the problem, Tom Z. doesn't have a company behind him. If he had a company behind him this thread would have been about events and what to expect for Lightning Fest 2012.

You killed Auto Fest with your greed, Tomy/RC2 is killing Lightning Fest with their ignorance.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Auto fest contained no greed. Mark was trying to build attendance by combining it with a car show. The real reason both faded away was lack of corporate sponsorship. No large scale FREE show can survive without it. The attack against auto fests was in poor taste.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What I was saying is that "ran it into the ground and now walk away leaving it crumbling in the dirt" was a pretty spot on description of what happened to Auto Fest. Even some of your back pocket people are critical of you and the changes you made to the show, which ultimately became its demise. I doubt, if you had retained the Lightning Fest name you would have done anything differently. And who really owned the Lightning Fest name anyway? You, Tom Lowe or was it left dangling in the breeze with no legal protection just waiting for someone to come along and slap a copyright/trademark/LLC on it? I ask because I don't know the real story. It's almost like that gravity track, who actually owns it? I've heard soo many stories about both, I haven't got a clue what the truth is there.

Sadly, that's the problem, Tom Z. doesn't have a company behind him. If he had a company behind him this thread would have been about events and what to expect for Lightning Fest 2012.

You killed Auto Fest with your greed, Tomy/RC2 is killing Lightning Fest with their ignorance.

:eek:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Gerald, my post was by no means a attack on AutoFest or anyone... It was all actual facts told by the few people that made the big decissions. I was a Sponsor of LF & AutoFest for many many years. I was in charge of the Downhill races along with Bobby, til he left, then I totally took it over. then all a sudden that was taken away from me with no explanion and put in a small lil corner doing lil things, don.t ya think that was a hit in the GUT to me. Then all a sudden a few totally changed everything about the event without any of the other people that helped make the event what it once was never asked our opinion. I worked very hard and spent lots of $$$ to get to SouthBend and basically was told I had no say so on the direction it was going to go. As I said back then came true!!! i'm sure if some would have left things the way it was, AutoFest would still be alive and going. Again, this is no attack to AF or any person, and If you feel you need me to be banded from HT, so be it but I'm only stating true facts and i think this is still the USA and can be nice, but state true facts. Ok, the end of my story and carry on.

Auto fest contained no greed. Mark was trying to build attendance by combining it with a car show. The real reason both faded away was lack of corporate sponsorship. No large scale FREE show can survive without it. The attack against auto fests was in poor taste.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
sorry, but this is what got me going!!! What about all us others that helped with all the LFs & AF? Tom doesn't waana do a show anymore. Tom has a place here in Naples, 20 minute from me and we talk, but It just wasn't one person that made it a event, it was TEAMWORK!!!
Mark, how do you think you got Greenlight to come on board, maybe a lil pee on me & GreenLight Garage that that maybe had a part in it, after visiting Kevin and countless talks to get him onboard. Also if I remember right, I talked Jeremy patton to be a sponsor of AutoFest and donate the Superbirds and much more to the show free to AF and then a few crapped on him afterwords!!! I guess if your not a good ole boy southBender, your nobody. I'm sorry to have to post this news, but it's been boiling for a few years and after the remark it needed to be brought out it wasn't just YOU that made the show!!!! NOW End of Story!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts