Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello racers:
TOUR is excited about the upcoming 2012/2013 season and we wanted to touch base on a few things even though we are still a few months away. Motors and batteries again will need to be Roar approved this upcoming year, with batteries needing to be on the Roar list and available by October 1st (which will be locked the entire season). Motors will have to be on the Roar list and available before an event and follow the same rules as in the past (not being tampered with, box stock, spec approved rotors, etc). We are aware the topic of short stack motors is out there. We wanted to pass along that Roar has had a minimum stack length rule they have been following for a few years and all motors that are Roar approved follow these guidelines (these rules do not show up in the rule book that is currently on-line). Tour will be using resistance and inductance to help better tech this upcoming season and are gathering information now to help tracks and races use for inspections. Tour has not announced any Roar motor or battery to be illegal so far this year for the upcoming carpet season. I have also been in touch with all major motor and battery mfg, to advise we will use the same rules as past years. That's it for now. Thanks for all your support!

Allan A

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We will have more info after all test are done. Will know more in a week or so. Have not recieved all new motors yet. Will know more after we get them all tested.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I don't understand why has the inductance changed. A 13.5 should be the same as it was when TOUR first started. (ROAR origanal test) I don't agree with it being changed at all. It shouldn't matter if you are waiting on a new motor. They should be following the same ROAR rules as before. Allan not trying to beat you up but I just don't understand why you are waiting on motors. If one company is have trouble meeting the specs oh well they need to fix it. There is no reason for them to change. This is why OVAL is struggleing because we have already pushed the envolope enough.....

Ritchie Mac

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I don't understand why has the inductance changed. A 13.5 should be the same as it was when TOUR first started. (ROAR origanal test) I don't agree with it being changed at all. It shouldn't matter if you are waiting on a new motor. They should be following the same ROAR rules as before. Allan not trying to beat you up but I just don't understand why you are waiting on motors. If one company is have trouble meeting the specs oh well they need to fix it. There is no reason for them to change. This is why OVAL is struggleing because we have already pushed the envolope enough.....

Ritchie Mac
People complaining about Inductance check the D3.5's. They are actually higher on inductance than the Revtechs were. Wrong tree to bark up there.

ROAR does not have a "set minimum" for inductance. Its different from motor to motor as inductance measures the wire AND the stator material to generate a number. If you mearly want to go off of inductance then the Tekin motors should be awesome. They are some of the lowest on the ROAR list. You can view what each motor checked when it was legalized on ROAR's web page. The uF is listed for every ROAR approved motor and what ROAR considers the min inductance.

EA

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand why has the inductance changed. A 13.5 should be the same as it was when TOUR first started.

(ROAR origanal test) I don't agree with it being changed at all.

It shouldn't matter if you are waiting on a new motor.

They should be following the same ROAR rules as before. Allan not trying to beat you up but I just don't understand why you are waiting on motors.

If one company is have trouble meeting the specs oh well they need to fix it.

There is no reason for them to change. This is why OVAL is struggleing because we have already pushed the envolope enough.....

Ritchie Mac
Hey Ritchie, I will try and explain the best I can. When Tour first started working on rules, inductance was all we had to test with. Then we found resistance was a better way to tech. ROAR does not provide any resistance numbers only inductance. They have to be collected and find a norm reading.
This year there has been new motors introduced and we have not had a chance to test them for resistance numbers. Trinity has introduced the new D3 motor, Novak is coming with a new 17.5 stator. Thunder Power is working on a new motor. We want to have info before season starts.

By the old rules all they had to do was have them Roar approved and they were legal to go.

When we are able to collect resistance and inductance #s measure stacks and basically do our own tech before the season starts. It makes it easier. We sent letters out to all major mfg letting them know we would have to have samples of any new motors they intended to run in Oval this year. They have been compiling.

Since there seems to be some variance in mfg, we don't want some one to be able to buy a sweet motor off the shelf and cause everyone to have to by 50 or 100 motors to get one equal to it. We will have, as we have the past couple of year a guideline to go by. If your motor is below the guidelne you wont be able to run it.

We are not waiting for one company or another to fix a motor. Just trying to look out for racers, hobby shops, track owners and mfg's.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
It's such a shame that all of this comes abought when the same guys that started this are still running spec classes . And we all.find excuses that spec is cheaper when in open mod u never worried abought thr any of this crap .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts