Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't like the look of the Mustang front end but I do like the idea of differentiating the Nationwide cars from the Sprint Cup cars.

I am also glad they are moving to the spoiler instead of the wing. I am hearing that SC will be doing the same, likely next year.

--Cory

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
It's a crappy deal for the Ford teams because they have been developing a completely different car up to this point. So now Chevy, Dodge and Toyota have a huge advantage because they have a load of data on the cars they are going to run while all the Ford team have to start from scratch. Kind of moronic to make the change this late in the process.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like the look of the Mustang front end but I do like the idea of differentiating the Nationwide cars from the Sprint Cup cars.

I am also glad they are moving to the spoiler instead of the wing. I am hearing that SC will be doing the same, likely next year.

--Cory
Cory, where did hear that the SPRINT CUP cars are going to change from the wing to the spoiler?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Cory, where did hear that the SPRINT CUP cars are going to change from the wing to the spoiler?
I know several people within the SC ranks that I talk to regularly and my good friend works for Joe Gibbs Racing.

I originally heard something about it on Sirius NASCAR radio that there had been discussions (and some testing) done. Supposedly Greg Biffle was the actual driver that tested the spoiler on the COT cars earlier this year.

After I heard about it there, I asked my buddy about it. He said it was in development and might make it for the 2010 season but was not a sure thing yet.

--Cory

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's a crappy deal for the Ford teams because they have been developing a completely different car up to this point. So now Chevy, Dodge and Toyota have a huge advantage because they have a load of data on the cars they are going to run while all the Ford team have to start from scratch. Kind of moronic to make the change this late in the process.
Figures,Ford is also suppose to release their new engine (finally)the DB9.
Personally,I'm not liking the 'stang nose.Not sure why they just don't leave the bodies alone for now,and see how the spoiler works on some different tracks to start.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I heard today that Chevy is planning on continuing the Impala and bringing it over to Nationwide series. Also heard Toyota will likely do the same with the Camry. Supposedly, both will look rather different than their Sprint Cup counterpart, but will carry the same badge.

I really hope that Chevy will bring in the Camaro, but as of now, doesn't look like that will happen.

--Cory

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I heard today that Chevy is planning on continuing the Impala and bringing it over to Nationwide series. Also heard Toyota will likely do the same with the Camry. Supposedly, both will look rather different than their Sprint Cup counterpart, but will carry the same badge.

I really hope that Chevy will bring in the Camaro, but as of now, doesn't look like that will happen.

--Cory

Here's the thing... the teams have been testing these cars for over a year now... No "planning" it's already done and the cars are on track. The fact Ford decided to switch bodies justs puts them behind the 8 ball. The Camaro is being raced, but you will never see it in NASCAR... While it is currently being used in the Koni Series, chances are you may see it in the rolex series next year now that Pontiac has pulled the plug on it's program.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
With the WIN ON SUNDAY thinking, IMHO since FORD is going MUSTANG - it would make sense for DODGE to go Challenger and GM to go CAMARO -- BRING on the AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR against the 'YODA~

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
With the WIN ON SUNDAY thinking, IMHO since FORD is going MUSTANG - it would make sense for DODGE to go Challenger and GM to go CAMARO -- BRING on the AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR against the 'YODA~
ok ok i know I just do not even watch it anymore, but i thought it was always susposed to be a sedan style american car?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
ok ok i know I just do not even watch it anymore, but i thought it was always susposed to be a sedan style american car?
it's called nasCrap for a reason... the cars and the racing is crap. the truck series is the only thing interesting anymore... Want some good racing? Turn on a Grand-Am race... the last 4 races have been decided by less than a second at the line.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
The "CUP" has always been that...but the Nationwide/Busch series IMHO should have it's OWN identity.

Why have 2 series that LOOK and FEEL the same? It's kind of confusing for those who are casual watchers.

One of the criticisms I hear about NASCAR a lot (From non-enthusiasts) is WHY they are watching FAMILY CARS instead of PERFORMANCE Cars.

IMHO Running the Performance type cars on the OVALS could get them a little bigger piece of the marketing Pie.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This article seems to show that Ford and NASCAR might actually be serious about going this direction. This would naturally bring in the Camaro and Challenger body styles – or at least some insanely corrupted versions like this nasty Mustang image. (....who did NASCAR say was doing meth?)
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/28/ford-mustang-is-officially-nascar-bound-in-the-nationwide-seri/

John Forces Mustangs look more believable than that thing. The fact that a funny car needs to be stable and “hooked up” at 330mph at least make the whole “body distortion thing” understandable for the average fan. But this Nationwide Mustang only leaves you feeling like they (NASCAR & FORD) think we’re all just plain stupid, and that we’ll enjoy watching virtually anything race, as long as it makes racecar noises. It’s just more of their “one fit’s all” philosophy to make tech inspections easier for themselves and “aero equality” less of an issue. Pretty sad in my opinion.
http://www.0-60mag.com/online/?p=5912

I hate sounding like a negative person - because I'm not. It's just that they (NASCAR, IRL, Grand Am etc) are giving us so little to get excited about. Just more kit cars.

Dale - Protoform

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Atleast Grand-Am has cars that look like their production counterparts. You'd think the manufacturers would put more stock into that series, because you can atleast tell what the car is.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Wouldn't it save like a bazillion dollars to go back to the old days?
Send all the teams to the local showroom right before 1st practice every week and buy one off the lot.
They'd stimulate the local economy to boot!

That's racin!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts