Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Another Lamley Group profile on rare Matchbox models from the Mattel era:

http://lamleydlm.blogspot.com/2012/06/rarest-matchbox-models-of-mattel-era_12.html

What other rare Mattel-era rare Matchbox models should we profile?

The Hazard Squad was one I wanted to collect all of before Matchbox went all whacko in 2012. As for rare models, I think you're already doing quite a bit. Given that MBX doesn't do official chase cars (unless you count the whitewall Lesney Chevelle last year), people tend to think that there is no such thing as a rare current MBX. Regular wheels and transitional is of course another matter. When you include special editions with tampos for gatherings or SEMA, you soon get into the rarities.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts

The Hazard Squad was one I wanted to collect all of before Matchbox went all whacko in 2012. As for rare models, I think you're already doing quite a bit. Given that MBX doesn't do official chase cars (unless you count the whitewall Lesney Chevelle last year), people tend to think that there is no such thing as a rare current MBX. Regular wheels and transitional is of course another matter. When you include special editions with tampos for gatherings or SEMA, you soon get into the rarities.
These people never tried to find some of the last lesney's then, like the chevelle someone mentioned, or the cuda, and maybe of the blue vista, one per american case, i can hunt like few others and only ever found one..

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
These people never tried to find some of the last lesney's then, like the chevelle someone mentioned, or the cuda, and maybe of the blue vista, one per american case, i can hunt like few others and only ever found one..
Cuda and Chevelle are peg warmers here but I can confirm the blue Vista Cruiser point. Similarly, the Volvo P1800 in racing livery is just as elusive as the Cruiser around here. I've been to several shops within 2 hours driving distance and only ever saw one which I bought. Makes me wonder about the policies but some cars are at least PERCEIVED rare.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Cuda and Chevelle are peg warmers here but I can confirm the blue Vista Cruiser point. Similarly, the Volvo P1800 in racing livery is just as elusive as the Cruiser around here. I've been to several shops within 2 hours driving distance and only ever saw one which I bought. Makes me wonder about the policies but some cars are at least PERCEIVED rare.

Thats the first one i've seen outside of mattel stock pics.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Could someone post a pic of the blue Vista? I haven't heard of this one and don't think I've seen it. Thought I had all the MB Vista's, except the white w/tri-spoke never found that one.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
So...it's the blue one with the FS sign in it. Correct? If so, I did find that one. I saw several of them last year. I didn't know people were having trouble finding it.

I thought you guys were talking about a Lesney of SF edition I hadn't heard about. Thanks for clearing this up for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I saw the blue Vista in a 9-pack when I made a stop at a Walmart yesterday. The set had an orange ice cream truck as the exclusive vehicle. If Matchbox has a set arrangement for the 9-packs like they did with their 10-packs last year (compared to the randomized arrangement in Hot Wheels 9-packs), that's the one you'll want to look for.

I only saw two or three of the racing deco Volvos on the pegs. The black "Royal Couriers" Austin Mini Van was also tough to track down, along with the white racing deco Mazda 2 and "Blue Horse Trainers" VW T2 Bus.

Here's one I really wanted but NEVER saw on the pegs: the purple Chevy stepside. Finally found one at - of all places - a Value Village last week.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Oh no! Do you mean I've got all those cars and took them out of the blister and...they're hard to find? holy diecast Batman! :dude:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh no! Do you mean I've got all those cars and took them out of the blister and...they're hard to find? holy diecast Batman! :dude:
I took that purple Chevy out of its blister... and would have done so even if the package wasn't damaged. Same with the Volvo. Come to think of it, I haven't freed the Austin Mini Van yet... gotta change that.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
I have wierd ideas about what get's opened, but mbx do, made to play with..and i found one finally, but that horse trainer van was a pain to find..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts