Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is alot of hype on the New Camaro Concept, here is some pictures of the Trans Am Concept. Someone should make this car.

Perhaps Welly?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I like them both .. Much better than the Camaro concept ! Although the first pic looks a lot like the Challenger concept ...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Those are just someone's hacks of the Camaro concept.There are currently no plans for a new Firebird/Trans Am.:cry:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Diecast Camaro Collector said:
Those are just someone's hacks of the Camaro concept.There are currently no plans for a new Firebird/Trans Am.:cry:
actually, there is mention of a new bird. the decision is not 100% final that they are going to make one but the folks at gm admitted that they are very interested in doing so.here is the article.

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Coming away this week from the North American International Auto Show, we thought it lacked the big buzz that could be felt in 2006. It was our feeling, shared by some of the other reporters present, that there were fewer really "buzzworthy" cars. It also seemed there weren't as many press conferences. Budget cuts?
Herewith some quick-hit observations for our readers:
The Camaro convertible (in dealers as a 2009) was stunning, tricked out in "Hugger Orange."
When we asked one GM official if there were any plans for the return of the Firebird, we were told that the design team is hot to do a new 'bird. "It is something that we are studying," the official said. Our guess, and it's only that, is that GM will bring the Firebird back once the initial Camaro demand slows down.
Roger Penske was a delight to talk with about the tiny Smart fortwo that will come to these shores in '08. He's confident there's a market here for the tiny "city car."
Is Rick Wagoner heading to the top of the auto world? GM still faces many hurdles, but we can tell you the man is upbeat, uses the word "profit" and his company came out of the Detroit show's press days with a lot of good feeling. If Wagoner pulls GM out of the swamp, he deserves worldwide praise -- and celebrations in the street.
J.C. Mays, Ford's design whiz, is one heck of a car guy to interview. And despite all of his design work over the years, he said he still has days when he can't believe that someone would pay him to do what he does -- "a kid in a sandbox" was the term he used. We thought the Mays-inspired Lincoln MKR, with its retro style grill, was very impressive. Ford simply has to figure out a way to make this 415-horsepower, twin-turbocharged Lincoln (read: hot rod).
Rolls Royce's "drophead coupe" (another way to say convertible) raises the bar for luxury with its polished aluminum hood and teak wood around the outside of the rear seats. They'll will only crank out about 1,000 of these a year, each retailing for more than $400,000.
And kudos for Hyundai. It's feeling brash enough to call the new small SUV concept with the retro-looking doors, and we do not make this up, the Hellion. Under the hood is a 3.0-liter, V6 diesel.
No one drove a vehicle through a plate glass window this year, as in 2006.
Downtown Detroit, based on the number of people on the sidewalk, remains a ghost town, surrounded by decaying warehouses and windowless, abandoned factories. Yet right now, the Motor City's fittingly the center of the auto world again, playing host to what's still a first-class show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
why doesnt pontiac put more effort into the solstice?
if they build a new fireturd.transjam, it will be just like before,
they wont sell. the suits at pontiac are lost.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No4NJunk said:
why doesnt pontiac put more effort into the solstice?
if they build a new fireturd.transjam, it will be just like before,
they wont sell. the suits at pontiac are lost.
the solstice is slow and but arse ugly so it would be a complete waste to put more effort into it. it is funny how they blame the demise of the f-body on poor sales yet i have never seen any sitting on a dealer's lot for any lengthy period of time. there are plenty of LS1 F-body boards and LS1 performance shops out there. please show me where there is as much interest in a soltice???????? :rolleyes:

i believe with rising gas prices and the ricer hype/fad a few years back lead gm to believe that this was the new trend to go after on their future line of cars. now that the ricer scene has died off, and gm sat back watching ford with the mustang and dodge with the charger & challenger, i think they realized that they screwed up and focused their efforts on an affordable amreican muscle car.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Look at resale value between the Camaro and Trans Am, too. Trans Am's are worth a lot more on the secondary market, anywhere from 20 to 50% more for the comparable car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Pewter02WS6 said:
the solstice is slow and but arse ugly so it would be a complete waste to put more effort into it. it is funny how they blame the demise of the f-body on poor sales yet i have never seen any sitting on a dealer's lot for any lengthy period of time. there are plenty of LS1 F-body boards and LS1 performance shops out there. please show me where there is as much interest in a soltice???????? :rolleyes:

i believe with rising gas prices and the ricer hype/fad a few years back lead gm to believe that this was the new trend to go after on their future line of cars. now that the ricer scene has died off, and gm sat back watching ford with the mustang and dodge with the charger & challenger, i think they realized that they screwed up and focused their efforts on an affordable amreican muscle car.
I am a HUGE camaro fan. (My first was a 67, I'vehad a 69 and I have a 68. I had a 79 T/A. My sister has a WS-6) so I say this with love. The Mustang outsold the F-body like 2-1 since 84. Production numbers don't lie. (My 96 SS impala was the last year because it was/is a lot more profitable to make trucks.) The SS Camaro was a fantastic car, but with a MSRP of 35K+ it priced itself out of the target markets hands. (Like the GTO) This board might not be an adequate cross section of america, but who would spend 35K on a Camaro when a Corvette was a 5-7 more? If you needed more than 2 seats (you still really need more than a T/A Camaro)

Will the new camaro be a hit? Lots of buzz, but with rumors of the 500hp ls7 in the top end model what will the cost be? What will INSURANCE be? How many 25 year olds will be able to come up with the cash when "family cars" like the SRT-8 can be had in the 40's? or srt-4's/STI's/Evos can be found in the 17-25's

Either way, money talks. If GM starts selling 10 million solstaces a year you can bet every other car/truck would get the axe to make more. I always thought it was funny that SUV's were hot, with more power than ever before, but no one was interested in a RWD V8 American car that could seat 5/6 (except the police) and now everywhere I look I see ex-police cars being turned into semi-impalas and crown vics with loud exhaust.

Gm needs to get a little more focused to be sure, but I bet ford is thinking the same thing after that 12+billion dollar loss

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sounds like to me GM is pricing itself right out of the pony car wars. With a base model that is so expensive, all this hype is going to waste on this car. If this new camaro is based on the next gen Impala chasis/frame, then why does this car have to be priced so highly? Do they think that many baby boomer guys are going to fork over $30,000+ for that? What car segment are they aiming for? This new camaro may be headed down the same path as the SSR and the Pontiac GTO. Overall they were both good performers that were vastly overpriced to begin with and then dealers were forced to take a loss or severly reduce the sticker price on them to get them off the lots.

With regard to the Firebird mockups, I do prefer them over the camaros. The white bird with blue stripes looks like the best paint combo. I do not personally like the bird on the hood. Those birds came out before I was born so I don't feel much of a connection with that. However, if GM would bring out a Firebird cousin to the Camaro, it would face the same problem, high sticker tag.

My two cents on the issue. Happy Hunting! :)

Zach

1 - 20 of 54 Posts