Hobbyist Forums banner

what class in 2007

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
What if you looked at the past years points in stock? Take so many as a cutoff and determine that those chosen few have to move on towards a diffrent route, what ever that may be?

Beach

how can you tell someone what they can and cant run.
1 of the main reasons i like stock is they race it on a regular bassis just about everywhere. i do plan on running brushless but i do plan on running stock also. bring on the 4300's

alan behler
rip motorsports
jbr cells
orc
finishline

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Here's what I like about stock racing.

Its the first and pretty much only class I have run since I have been racing (roughly 13 years). I liked the speed then and now 13 years later the four cell stock cars are as fast if not faster than 13 years ago. Back then there was no shame in running stock and it was at least at my home track the biggest class week in and week out. I am happy with the speed or I would have went to 19 turn or mod. I dont run the class to cherry pick but because of the close racing and minimal carnage in the mains. Hove many 19 turn and mod mains can that be said about. Remember Ontrax this year at the state race. Faster is not always better in some cases. Stock is simpler to set-up, drive, and correct if you get into trouble on the track.
I know there is interest in brushless but which brushless to run is hard to say in my opinion when I have never seen either of the two 13.5 or 4300 on the track.
I would like to think we wont make a the decision to quickly and then say its to late to change seeing as the first race is almost five months away.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Bill Auchterlonie said:
Here's what I like about stock racing.

Its the first and pretty much only class I have run since I have been racing (roughly 13 years). I liked the speed then and now 13 years later the four cell stock cars are as fast if not faster than 13 years ago. Back then there was no shame in running stock and it was at least at my home track the biggest class week in and week out. I am happy with the speed or I would have went to 19 turn or mod. I dont run the class to cherry pick but because of the close racing and minimal carnage in the mains. Hove many 19 turn and mod mains can that be said about. Remember Ontrax this year at the state race. Faster is not always better in some cases. Stock is simpler to set-up, drive, and correct if you get into trouble on the track.
I know there is interest in brushless but which brushless to run is hard to say in my opinion when I have never seen either of the two 13.5 or 4300 on the track.
I would like to think we wont make a the decision to quickly and then say its to late to change seeing as the first race is almost five months away.
Well said Bill. There are a few guys running the series that HATE stock, I frankly like the stock racing, the fact it is setup, and not horrible mains is a plus!

Beach

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
how can you tell someone what they can and cant run.
1 of the main reasons i like stock is they race it on a regular bassis just about everywhere. i do plan on running brushless but i do plan on running stock also. bring on the 4300's

alan behler
rip motorsports
jbr cells
orc
finishline[/QUOTE]
Alan, chill! It was just a suggestion!! Sorta like a breakout class!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think we are planning a little to far in the future. I know guys wanna know and all but with all these new systems coming up and systems in the testing stages i think it is going to be to hard to pick right know. Cause what if tekin comes out with the prefect setup then we all bought the 13.5 or the 4300 and there no good. Also i think maybe some of the top guys like bill A and John b and Al s. etc should maybe try to find one of these 4300 units and actually try it and run it to see.since so far all we have went by are lap times at other events.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
sc2002gtp said:
What about the problem with stators exploding and cutting the thermal wire to get that little extra? Brussless could get just as costly IMO.
Great to see you guys thinking about brushless. I know you have some great racers in your part of the country. Let me try to help answer some questions for you.

Some drivers in the Midwest have been running the Novak 4300's for almost 3 years. (For the record I started last season) I’ve not seen or heard of any rotor failures in a pan car. Some of the Mod touring car guys (cars with very high load) have had issues but for the most part they have been low winds and non Novak systems.

Bob probably won’t like me saying this but as far as the blue temp wire yes it is common to remove or cut this wire when using on a Novak ESC. Warning This will void your motor warranty. The Novak motor temp sensor is set much lower the LRP version. (About 175 degrees on the Novak and over 200 on the LRP) The main reason for the temp sensor is so that the back yard bashers do not over temp the motor for an extended period of time (10 - 15 minutes). In a 4 or 5 minute race unless you have something extremely over geared or bound up in the drive line the motor will most likely not exceed the temp limit until the last 30 seconds of the race.

Having said that more temperature does not mean more speed. Most of the fast guys last season figured out a well set up car will see post race motor temp between 145 to 160 degrees produced the best results. (ESC temps would be in the 100 degree range) The same rollout on a car that was not working as well would see temp in the 185 range at the end of a run.

If you were to repeatedly and for extended duration exceed 180 degrees with the standard rotor the magnet will weaken over time. Inserting a new rotor for about $28 will make it good as new.

Here are a few facts to consider:

*The motor and rotor that one the Midwest Brushless Oval Challenge last year had about 15 race days on it or almost 8 hrs of run time.

*Two of the car in the MBOC A-main had motors that were over 2 years old.

*Out of 96 racers all running the same Novak 4300 motor no one ever complained or commented about someone having a faster motor.

To give you a speed comparison a good 4300 car is about .05 of second slower then a good 19T car. We don’t yet have a full picture on the 13.5 motors but most have said the feel like a well tuned stock motor and early testing has seen them run about .4 to .5 slower then a 4300 car.

As for rollout suggestion on carpet this is what worked for me last season with a 4300.

130' track (Allen’s R/C in Springfield, IL) between 2.40 - 2.50
190' track ( Hobbytown Hobbyplex Omaha, NE) between 2.75 and 2.85

If you have any questions or concerns post them or send me an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
microman14 said:
I think we are planning a little to far in the future. I know guys wanna know and all but with all these new systems coming up and systems in the testing stages i think it is going to be to hard to pick right know. Cause what if tekin comes out with the prefect setup then we all bought the 13.5 or the 4300 and there no good. Also i think maybe some of the top guys like bill A and John b and Al s. etc should maybe try to find one of these 4300 units and actually try it and run it to see.since so far all we have went by are lap times at other events.
Al S. ?????????????????????:jest:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sonny, Thanks a bunch for the info supplied. If you expierence,hear or see of any problems with motor or ESC'S give us a holler on this board. Thanks again Gordie B.

·
Registered
321 Posts

We will be using the Novak SS4300 Brushless Motor #3401
in the ORL Brushless class for 2007.

A couple racers were concerned about making the choice and rules for the series for next season too soon, what if things change by then. Well, we want to get these things nailed down right a way with the indoor racing season upon us so racers will have plenty of time to get familar with this whole new technology. It is a bit of an expense and we want everyone to only have to purchase what they need for the series only once.

After talking with several people who are familar with the brushless system I feel very confident that there will not be any needed changes to our motor choice. Pretty much our brushless class rules will be following the BRL (Brushless Racing League) rules.

Depending on how the brushless class goes next season, maybe we'll think about adding a 13.5 class for 08. Maybe change the truck class to a 13.5 brushless class. (Note: just thoughts floating around in my head, not necessarily the future plan.)

I will be posting the rules for the 2007 season shortly (next couple days). I wanted to get them up early because we have found that many of the tracks, especially the ones on the ORL schedule, use them to help determine what classes and rules to run on a regular bases. Makes it simple for them to use as a guidline.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
if they are that fast, someone needs to make sure that he keeps his eyes open through-out the entire run.............. :tongue:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just talked to Gordie and he was really happy with how the car can. He said it was alot faster than stock but thought it was a little slower than 19t. After a 6min. run everything was pretty cool. Out of curiousity he overgeared it (went up 16t) and ran a full run and it still wasn't hot, a little warm.

Yeah, maybe this will keep him awake on race day. :p

41 - 60 of 84 Posts