Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the winner is Chatham R/C.....Hope to see alot of people there for this one....Congrats to Dwight And Judy ....See ya Sooon.....
Jeff Humpty Helms
Hyperdrive
KC Racing
Precision Racing Systems
Johns BSR Tires
Finishline
Murdock R/C
RC4Less
And Sticket Tire Traction...

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
For those that don't know, ARCOR tracks bid for the ARCOR Opens. This bid is an "intent to hold" an ARCOR Open. ARCOR will not extend the bidding date, and ARCOR does not "select" the track. The final selection is done by a "ramdom" drawing at the previous ARCOR Open. Exp: ARCOR Paved Open is drwan at the Carpet Open, ARCOR Carpet open is drwan at the Paved Open. No Track can hold a Carpet or Paved Open two years in a row. But..if the track has both Carpet and Paved, they can hold each event in the same year. ARCOR does not "pick" the track, nor does it accept a bid that does not meet the criteria. This inclusdes adaquate electric (so that a racer does not have to have a generator), adaquate pit space, this includes pre-built tables, or enough room for those that have to bring tables and adaquate night lighting for outdoor tracks, should the race have to run in the dark.

This is the "criteria" as stated in the Sanctioned Race Agreement, that is signed by both ARCOR and the hosting track bidding on the event.

"Sanctioned Tracks wishing to submit a bid for the ARCOR OPENS must meet the following criteria to host this event. These criteria are to insure there will be sufficient space and facilities to insure all the racers have a pleasant race experience. If more than one bid is submitted for an Open, the winning track will be drawn for at the preceding ARCOR Open, in front of all the entrants. Example: Tracks bidding on the Carpet Open will be drawn at the Paved Oval Open. Tracks bidding on the Paved Oval Open will be drawn at the Carpet Oval Open. Submitting a bid for the ARCOR Open’s is a commitment to hold the event, should your track be drawn. In the event only one track bids for the Open, this track will be announced after the bids closing date. At no time will the bid deadline be extended. Any track that has held an Open will not be eligible to hold the event the following year. In the event that no bids are turned in for either Open, ARCOR reserves the right to pick a track to hold the events. This may include a track that has previously held the event."
ARCOR OPEN CRITERIA: Pit space and room for 150 – 200 racers and spectators. Space for trailers. Space for Associate Member displays if required. Adequate power source. Hobby Shop/Supply trailer with essential parts, tires, gears, batteries (cars/transmitters), motors etc. Lighting for night racing. Clean restroom facilities (do not have to be permanent). Snack bar/concession or close proximity to fast food or restaurants. Motels in close proximity to track. AMB counting system or a system capable of organizing heats/mains.

Tracks that bid for the ARCOR Paved Oval Open were:

Carolina R/C Speedway, Chatham R/C Speedway and Classic Hobbies. These tracks names were printed on paper, shown to the racers and spectators. They were then folded and put into a 2lb+ plastic Folgers coffee "can", in front of 100+ racers and spectators. A 7yr. old boy drew the winning track. While this may sound simple in it's form, it is done this way, so that no one can say that "JB, picked the track".

Chatham R/C Speedway was the track that was "drawn". Dwight has the facilties to host a large race and the pit space to accomadate a large amount of racers. There are some pit tables available, I would, for sure reserve them in advance. There is plenty of room for trailers and for pit tables. The night lighting is excellent. Which leads to this question???

In an ARCOR poll the majority like Triple A Mains. This is what we will run. What is the feeling about running the 4 qualifiers on Saturday and also running the 1st and 2nd A-Main that same night? Or even just one of the A-Mains, leaving one or two for Sunday?? Either one of the two will make Sunday a shorter day, especially for those that may have to drive a long distance for the race, letting you (racers) have Monday to recoup before getting back to that dirty word called WORK!! I will be posting this on the newest ARCOR poll. It will mean a long day Saturday, ,maybe late into the night, but I have already seen that you racers are a die hard group and will race until 4AM!!! (BMS, July 4th weekend, 2003)

Finally, for those that wonder where Chatham is: Chatham R/C SPeedway is in Bear Creek,NC. about 50 miles southeat of Greensboro on Hwy. 421, about 45 minutes north of Sandhills.

Now my last question??? Can the South beat the North?? They say things are better the second time around..HAHA

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
GEESH!!!!!! We got home at 3:30PM. I have been at this 'puter since 4:30PM answering e-mails and posting. It's now 7:30 PM. I have a hungrey man, waiting for dinner, and I have made numerous Typo errors.. I'm sorry. Will BJ Ever forgive me??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
4 Qualifiers + on one day

JB,

Doing anything more than 4 qualifers on one day is insane. Who wants to be at the track from 8am till 10pm or later? Last Saturday at the Carpet Open was one of the longest days i have ever spent at the track. I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that.

Part of the fun of going to Nationals is to get away from work etc. I know it is a nice gesture to try to cut down on the amount of days you have to be gone by getting practice all day Friday, but that makes for a long Saturday. I will say getting out that early on Sunday was nice but it wasn't exactly the biggest race ever. The day was so long on Saturday everyone seemed pretty ragged out on Sunday.

I think the majority of guys that attend nationals these days plan far enough in advance to commit the time to going.

IMO, making ARCOR grow will center around making the national events a BIGGER deal. Not a knock on ARCOR or Walt @ Classic, but it felt like a glorified trophy race. I can't remember a national where the pits weren't full on Thursday.

Again, nothing against ARCOR. I think you guys are doing a good job and hopefully one day we will only talk about going to ARCOR oval races. The big theme these days if having something novel about your race to attract drivers, not just have a race and call it a national. A big part of the problem is Nationals don't have the Manufactor support as in past days where every national race had a "manufactor's row". Just keep after it!

Danny B.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Danny B: I take what you are saying as constructive criticism and welcome any suggestions or ideas you may have to add something "novel" to the ARCOR Opens? What kind of "theme" would you be thinking? I will say that the ARCOR races do have a relaxed atmosphere to them, which I rather like. It seems that the racers like this also, making ARCOR races a "gathering" more than a "cut throat" race. I have seen at the ARCOR races that the "big racers" are more approachable to the average guy than they are at the other major National event. These racers are also more relaxed? GO FIGURE???

Today, there is no Manufactures Row, so to speak, because the majority of the racers are sponsored in one form or another with many and different manufactures. We no longer see "headline racers", like Neisinger, Deiter, Polimeda, etc. attending these races representing one Company. Today we have no "headliners" or full factory racers. Trinity, Associated etc. are not a factor in oval racing like they used to be and if it weren't for manufactures like Hyper Drive, KSG, KGB etc. we would have no factory support at all. These are the backbone of Oval racing, they aren't selling "support" products or just parts. They are "Oval Racing".

Anyway, got some ideas?? Lets hear them. I have no problem with making ARCOR Opens the most "attractive events of the year". :)

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
King Skippy: Yes, capped tires. It's a neat track and the racers there are all great guys. I'm sure they will tell you the proper tires, so you don't have to buy what you don't need.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
JB, that is a great attitude. Being open to suggestion is something that lacks when people want to see something be better. I'll e-mail you with some thoughts here soon.

Danny B.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Heard there might be something interesting going on at the track this coming week. Any info Kevin????.....lol

JB, how bout chatch the goat win a prize.....lol.....lol. IN case anyone is wondering Just off the back strait use to be a goat pasture. And we would die laughing at the goats lining up at the fence watching the cars go around.

Billy @ Bandit R/C Products

·
Registered
696 Posts
Billy, the goats were still there off and on this past summer.

·
Registered
732 Posts
King Skippy, We will be doing some testing in a couple of weeks and let you know what tires will work from stock,19,mod, and nitro. Of course spec is spec tires.

As for the goats, I think they were amazed to see Ziggy back there with them. LOL

As for the surprise, Have to wait till next week for that one.

Kevin
Bandit Racing Products
John's Bsr
SRC
Finishline
KC Racing

1 - 20 of 105 Posts