Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fantastic Plastic's 2001: Space Station V kit is now available in the Fantastic Plastic Virtual Museum Store:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/gift_shop.htm

The kit was designed in CAD by Scott Lowther, cast by Mana Studios and features an extensive stainless steel PE set by ParaGraphix.

8.5 inches in diameter when complete, the SSV sells for $125.00 plus shipping.

Three Orion III Space Clippers are included so you can "scale" the model at either 1:1400, 1:2100 or 1:2800 to represent a station that is 1,000, 1,500 or 2,000 feet in diameter. (Estimates vary.)

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Hmm ... only 8.5 inches? I might be able to get that past the domestic guardian .. ;)

Weird about the ship size, though ... that ship looks a bit big for the docking port in that shot, but that size also seems to ring true from my memory of both the miniature shots and the interior shots (of the actors walking on the curved floor). Split the difference?

(edit) I don't know if I could properly assemble the photo-etch without a jig. Hmm ...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
They DID split the difference--the model comes with two or three different-sized space clippers.

Ordered in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have to keep tellin' myself, it's only money, it's only money.....:eek:

Hundereds of kits and I'm still not satisfied!

Thanks Allan.

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Paul, What's the word on the photo etch? Special equipment needed?
I don't believe Allen used anything special when he assembled his.

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago at the LHS and think it might be just the thing to hold everything steady. (I've been wanting one for a long time ... now I just need a project to use it on.)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I don't believe Allen used anything special when he assembled his.

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago at the LHS and think it might be just the thing to hold everything steady. (I've been wanting one for a long time ... now I just need a project to use it on.)
That's really cool. Would it help with round stuff?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That would be nice to get, but the cost is out of my range, looking at the AD, I'd like that Flying Wing there's would be better the the one I got from the outfit that gets them from China.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Allen B. Ury at Fantastic Plastic wrote me a reply to an email inquiring about lighting possibilities. He said the model is solid and cannot be lit up. Oh well. But what a great model. It's beautiful. And what a great guy.

Many of my friends have various kits from these guys. They turn out excellent. Never did business with Fantastic, but I will definitely be buying some stuff in the future....

Thanks, Fantastic, for offering a much needed model!

:wave:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
As if this wasn't bad enough, Federation Models just put up a 1/72 accurized Discovery...which I snapped up in a second right after purchasing the Space Station. That should do me for 2001 kits for the rest of my life...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Got mine yesterday. The photoetch is... intimidating!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
As if this wasn't bad enough, Federation Models just put up a 1/72 accurized Discovery...which I snapped up in a second right after purchasing the Space Station. That should do me for 2001 kits for the rest of my life...
What would the over-all length be on this pup?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts