Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although 98% of the time I'll be racing along or with my kids, should I do 4 lane again? or step back to 2 lane. 2 lane could be a longer windy road with more room for landscaping, but when there is 3 or 4 people around, theres nothing like the extra lanes.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I run 4. Never really considered 2. We've been running T-Jets and TycoPro cars on the middle lanes until I get off my butt and install the borders.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,318 Posts
I built 4, but have yet to have more than one friend over at a time to race, so I sometimes wonder about all that unused track. Still, there's nothing like having 4 lanes when you need them.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Build a four laner and then use a single crossover on each pair of lanes to convert it to a two laner; this also eliminates the "middle only" lanes. If and when you get 3-4 people, swap out the crossovers for 9" straights.

If you want to get real cute, you can use single lane tracks and turn that four laner into a single lane.

Joe

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Another vote for 4 lanes.... I usually run laps by myself but it's nice when you get a bunch of folks over you fill those lanes up really quick!

·
Registered
864 Posts
4lanes, definitly. It's one of the major advantages of h0 scale : even in 4lanes, it stills relativly cheap and does not take too much room. Even if you race 4 drivers races twice a year, you'll see it 's a lot of fun ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
To answer on topic between 2 & 4, I would say 4!! I was hooked on multi
lane tracks since "Car Model-Ho Racing" featured "Scottsboro Raceway".
Hertz & Schleicher also had great color books featuring Ho layouts.
The AFX Handbook mentioned 6 lanes & I've built a couple of those too. :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If you are space constrained and want to have landscaping, a 2-lane layout is probably a better way to go. Having to take turns for track time is fine when the people waiting are marshaling the cars for the drivers. The worst thing you can do is to park your kid on a lane while you run around the track doing all the marshaling. When driving time is more precious and the burden of marshaling is shared, driving time becomes more appreciated and skills improve. Likewise, if a kid has to do all his/her own marshaling they may get frustrated and give up. In my opinion, sharing the driving and marshaling responsibilities creates a better balance and it improves the overall experience. It also makes it inherently a shared activity.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nothing wrong with two. It's just that four looks more realistic. Even if you don't run the other lanes, just drop in some cars onto the unused lanes to look as if they are running.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was weighing towards the 4 lane, but the single crossover idea solidifies it for me.
platform/tables should be put up over the next few weeks, i'll keep you guys posted.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Depending on how you wire it up, a couple Aurora steering wheel controllers might be a cool option for the unused lanes. This way, all the lanes can get some track time even if you're flying solo..

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
another vote for 4. i had a 2 lane on my 4x16 table for a few years... took it apart last year and redid it as a 4 lane. my 2 youngest kids run on it with me pretty regularly, and the other two join us from time to time...

--rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts